Modifying ECU that has been ECUTek'd

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Modifying ECU that has been ECUTek'd

Postby twg » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:24 am

Hi,
I have an ECU that has been previously flashed by Kingpin using ECUTek.

I know that I can read/flash the entire ECU, but can I modify the ECU contents using the tools that are [will] be available ?

Several points to consider:

1) Clark who flashed it left Kingpin, so I cannot get Kingpin to reflash

2) Even if I wanted to start from scratch, I don't think I can do this without a stock ECU image

3) I consider ECUTek's IP to be the flashing process. The tuning process to be the tuner's IP. The ECU and the format/workings of the ECU to be Subaru's IP. I own the ECU, and thus have the right to modify the contents. I am not reverse engineering the flashing process, nor am I trying to sell or distribute the map as-is, it is for my own benefit.
twg

Postby qoncept » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:51 am

You should be able to modify the map just like any other. Check the MT and AT boost maps, I hear this is how Ecu*** does their map switching.
qoncept

Postby cboles » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:29 am

If you have a 2002-2005 WRX, the tools are already available. If you have a STi, it will be just a couple of weeks.

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby calvinc » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:58 pm

1) Clark who flashed it left Kingpin, so I cannot get Kingpin to reflash
you've already got your latest map (on the car) and you can reflash with the tools on this site or from www.tari.co.za

when you download your current map it will contain your license and any usertune ability you currently have. if you know the offsets of those parameters in the map you 'could' modify them too.

2) Even if I wanted to start from scratch, I don't think I can do this without a stock ECU image
you'll probably find your stock map in the list on this site.

calvin.
calvinc

Postby hatchy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:51 am

cboles wrote:If you have a 2002-2005 WRX, the tools are already available. If you have a STi, it will be just a couple of weeks.

Colby

Hey Colby, I have an STi with a Ec*t** tune. I'd like to make some adjustments to it (CEL fixes mostly, and maybe smooth out the low rpm map). Is this supported now? thanks!
hatchy

Postby gethin » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:16 am

The DBW cars have been supported for a while.

Problem is Ecu*** have locked out their ECU's for a while now and there is a possibility that you wont be able to read your ECU.
gethin

Postby wrxsti » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:00 am

Anybody working on how to unlock the locked ecut**ed ecu's?
Last edited by wrxsti on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrxsti

Postby Tea cups » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:01 am

wrxsti wrote:Anybody working on how to unlock the locked ecut**ed cu's?

I wonder how their software updates to their dealer. Is it an auto update feature? If so, if someone found a work around, Ecutek could just change it again?
Tea cups

Postby MalibuJack » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:34 am

Colby already posted some information a few posts up..

There has been success in the Evo Community, I'm sure it'll come soon enough for the STi..

I still have a personal issue with what someone considers intellectual property, after looking at what these different (Mitsubishi in my case) roms contain stock, and what has been changed/altered, the IP is definitely in the flashing software and process.. Its clear that (in Mitsubishi's case) there is very little done to alter the stock ROM itself, and I honestly don't consider a custom tune to be anything but a work for hire and therefore the ECU Owners property.. Base flashes and mail-in tunes are a bit different, but I don't know that they have any enforcable grounds considering THE TUNERS work is an UNAUTHORIZED Derivation of a Authorized derivation of another copyrighted work.. Which in turn is an authorized derivation of yet another copyrighted work..

Does anyone know if the process and hardware is patented? If it is not, then they have little if any recourse..
MalibuJack

Postby AutoXer » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:02 pm

MalibuJack wrote:Colby already posted some information a few posts up..

Colby,

Would you comment regarding this:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=211829

It's killing me to know that lot of folks out there are tuning their ECU, but I can't. I'm a paying customer by the way. I'm not mad at you(Colby); I'm just frustrated. The tactrix cable looks very nice laying on the bench in my garage. I just wish I could tune with it.

As it stands right now, I'd have to pay my "tuner" 50 bucks to extract my immobilizer code.... just so I can tune my second hand ECU. My car would have to be down while I ship the ECU out to him cause he lives bout 16hrs away. I'd also have to pay the shipping costs. All of this... I got by paying MORE for letting my tuner use the BETTER tuning software.

Feel free to PM me about this if you want. I can keep a secret.

:evil: :cry:
AutoXer

Postby MalibuJack » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:29 pm

cboles wrote:If you have a 2002-2005 WRX, the tools are already available. If you have a STi, it will be just a couple of weeks.

Colby

This was the post I was referring to..

Anyway, FWIW this is something I had done on my own...
MalibuJack

Return to Tuning Software