trionic7 saab boost pressure controll solonoid

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

trionic7 saab boost pressure controll solonoid

Postby jak » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:20 pm

it is a 2 wire solonoid & verry responsive
I will look into seeing if it can be put into a subaru but they are verry relyable I recently did a 410BHP viggen using all the stock engine management accept the injectors & the solonoid works flawlessly
I read that boost controll is hard to work out on these cars & have seen ECUTECH cars with manual boost controllers on them which was recomended by the tuner
I think the best possible thing is to have the ECU in controll of boost so that boost can be dumped if pre ignition occurrs & am not a fan of MBCs :-(
Ive seen the one used by subaru & these types have been used by japanese OEs for mostly emissons purposes for eons & are prone to failure
I wanted to say thanks to colby? is this his website? in my expierence as a tuner information is verry hard to come bye & its realy nice to see folks helping each other out with this this is an awesome resourse
take care
JAK
jak

Postby qoncept » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:41 pm

We were planning on using the boost solenoid from the GMC Syclone in my friend's VF22 WRX but haven't done anything yet. Apparantly there are threads on nasioc about it, it's pretty straight forward, and the solenoid is only about $50.

Jak, how far are you from Asheville? My wife is from there and we're around every couple months or so to visit. Maybe we could get together some time.. :)

Edit: Wait, we were in Black Mountain for her family reunion last summer at Lake Tomahawk.
Last edited by qoncept on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qoncept

Im in black mountain

Postby jak » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:49 pm

Im glad you have a solution Im just trying to be of help .....
can you get me a part# on that cyclone BPC?

trionic7 has redundant limiting for boost based on torque, airmass & boost it is a total PIA to get boost up & keep it up so I feel your pain on that
Im realy exited about learning the subaru mapping & I promise Ill be fair to the folks in my area for tuning services rendered when I get a grip on it

please call or come bye any time
all my contact info is at
www.jakstollperformance.com
Im allways into meeting fellow car lovers :-)
take care
JAK
jak

Postby qoncept » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:16 pm

GM Part # 1997152 Boost control solenoid

I'll try to stop by next time we're in town.. I think we'll be up there in a few weeks for my father in law's birthday. Do you have an openport cable?
qoncept

Postby calvinc » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:55 pm

i use the perrin EBCS in my own car with great success - still stock VF35. its a vast improvement over the stock part. i have tried it on a Deadbolt TD05H-20G and its was a battle to get the boost right. i think a TD05H-18G is about the limits for the perrin part, those turbos just come on too strong for it.

calvin.
calvinc

Postby qoncept » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:50 am

Calvin, are you using the perrin controller or just the solenoid controlled by the stock ECU?
qoncept

Postby Freon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:29 am

There is no limit on the performance of the Perrin part, nor the GM solenoid, or any other 3-port interrupt/blocking solenoid.

They all inherently perform pretty much the same, and have the ability at 100% duty cycle to keep the wastegate from seeing anything more than barometric pressure. That's as good as it gets for a solenoid. Actual flow is not an issue as the solenoid will never need to flow much air.

I wrote the GM solenoid DIY on NASIOC. It applies to any 3 port solenoid and they're all essentially going to perform the same.

The next step up is getting a wastegate with 2 ports itself, then you need something like the TXS DTEC to control both sides of it.
Freon

Postby calvinc » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:47 pm

Calvin, are you using the perrin controller or just the solenoid controlled by the stock ECU?
the perrin EBCS is a 3-port solenoid, replaces the stock part and gets driven by the ecu.

There is no limit on the performance of the Perrin part, nor the GM solenoid, or any other 3-port interrupt/blocking solenoid.
then the limits must be in the boost control methods used by the ecu. they dont react fast enough, hence you see spikes and then it brings the rest of the map down. only way i've found to get the ecu to control larger turbo's is to bring the boost in later and gradually, then you're dealing with lag which nobody wants.

calvin.
calvinc

Postby jak » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:42 pm

I think the deal to good controll is big hose
if you are venting the boost signal to the actuator to atmosphere or to the turbo inlet pipe to raise boost if the hose & barbs arent big enough you will have trouble controllling boost
I think oon saabs we use like 7mm hose to the WG & boost pressure controll solonoid
take care
JAK
jak

Return to Tuning Software