n00b question about flashing an 08 US STi

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

n00b question about flashing an 08 US STi

Postby prb44t » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:02 am

Hi All. I'm new into flashing ECU and I have some rookie questions...

I have built some software that connects to a Bluetooth OBD II device. From it I can send standard AT commands and read back things like, Speed, RPM, O2, Voltage, Coolant Temp, etc. The software is very basic, and I have versions for Windows Mobile, PC, and J2ME.

If I wanted to use a map already created like a Cobb Stage 1 or 2 for the STi (assuming it is royalty free) how do I do that? Is there specific AT commands? Do I have to extract data from the map or is there way to send the Map over?

In case it matters, its an '08 STi US spec.

Any help would be appreciated.
prb44t

Postby Jon [in CT] » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:43 am

Sounds like you might have something based on the ELM327, like the device at http://store.mo-co-so.com/bluetooth-obd-ii-interface-p-31.html. If so, then you won't be able to read any maps because a non-OBD-II protocol is required, which the ELM327 doesn't support.
Jon [in CT]

Postby prb44t » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks Jon.

That's exactly the device I have, that's unfortunate that it won't work.

I see there is a lot of other software out there, ecuflash, etc... If I wanted to load a Cobb map, what software/hardware would I need then?
prb44t

Postby Jon [in CT] » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:52 am

prb44t wrote:If I wanted to load a Cobb map, what software/hardware would I need then?
If you want to download maps from Cobb's website and install them on you ECU, then you need a Cobb AccessPort V2.
Jon [in CT]

Postby prb44t » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:29 am

well I'm not sure I agree its the only way to do it. After extracting the data from the PTM file it looks like all the data is there. It doesn't seem obfuscated in some way. So I think it would be a matter of translating that into a format for one of the other tools. Seems like it would make sense to reverse engineer some of these maps as a good starting point to creating your own.
prb44t

Postby Jon [in CT] » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:15 am

prb44t wrote:After extracting the data from the PTM file it looks like all the data is there. It doesn't seem obfuscated in some way. So I think it would be a matter of translating that into a format for one of the other tools. Seems like it would make sense to reverse engineer some of these maps as a good starting point to creating your own.
Feel free to write a translator. I think maps produced by FHI's engineers are a much better starting point for creating your own than anything Cobb has produced.
Jon [in CT]

Postby prb44t » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:13 pm

I'll have to check into FHI. I've only been looking at Perrin and Cobb at this point. I am trying to use one of theirs since I have not found an opensource 08 Stage 1 Rom.
prb44t

Re: n00b question about flashing an 08 US STi

Postby mwahlert » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:03 pm

fhi - fuji heavy industries - the company who owns/manufactures subaru.

i think he is saying looking at the stock maps as a starting point is a better idea.
mwahlert

Return to Tuning Software