Why the hell doesn't EcuEdit come with a users manual?

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Why the hell doesn't EcuEdit come with a users manual?

Postby stinky » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:15 am

Seriously?I mean Cobb's Street Tuner comes with a 80 page maunal.Enginiuty is free and it has better support and is 100x more user friendly than EcuEdit.I have had it for weeks and can't even veiw a single map.It take 3 or more days before Epifan even replies and i have tried to registor twice on the website with no return email confirmation for account activation.Whats the deal?Even some kind of documentation or starters guide either with the software or on his website would be great considering the software is being sold as a product...
stinky

Postby Jon [in CT] » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:21 pm

To be fair, epifan probably spends most of his time programming and fixing problems for EcuEdit, not deciphering where maps are on new ECUs. English is probably not his first language, so writing a user manual is probably viewed by him as a huge chore. He probably doesn't take in enough money to hire competent people to do the things that are currently being neglected and, because he charges for his product, other people are less willing to donate their time to help support his product.
Jon [in CT]

Postby ride5000 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:02 am

i'm more pissed we didn't get a disassembly guide for the FHI rom images from denso.
ride5000

Postby stinky » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:46 am

I can't even view the maps or get the logger to work.How do you convert an Enginuity definiton over to EcuEcdit?I have tried it and when the map tree pops up its blank.I have also put XMLWrite in the Ecuedit folder as i was told it would automaticly generate definitions but still nothing.Also what is actually happening when it asks"add for descibe?" I tell it yes thinking its going to generate a definition and still i can't view anything.I can't find alot of info on the Ecuedit forum either.
stinky

Postby Freon » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:27 am

Can you post your ROM?
Freon

Postby radsdau » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:44 pm

ride5000 wrote:i'm more pissed we didn't get a disassembly guide for the FHI rom images from denso.

haha! nice one. :)
radsdau

Postby Hyper » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:01 pm

it's not like he is charging $600 aka ecutek, and yet the program has as much features and more :!:

cobb has 80 page manual because this is their source of income, and not something that they do on the side... I agree though, XML can be a PITA, I had some issues too, epifan explained to me how to deal with it long time ago but I already forgot :lol: perhaps he can elaborate on this here
Hyper

Re: Why the hell doesn't EcuEdit come with a users manual?

Postby 3gturbo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:40 am

stinky wrote:Seriously?I mean Cobb's Street Tuner comes with a 80 page maunal.Enginiuty is free and it has better support and is 100x more user friendly than EcuEdit.I have had it for weeks and can't even veiw a single map.It take 3 or more days before Epifan even replies and i have tried to registor twice on the website with no return email confirmation for account activation.Whats the deal?Even some kind of documentation or starters guide either with the software or on his website would be great considering the software is being sold as a product...

It sounds to me like your way over your head and instead of taking the time to learn how to use the program you post up wanting someone to do it for you.
3gturbo

Re: Why the hell doesn't EcuEdit come with a users manual?

Postby stinky » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:40 am

3gturbo wrote:
stinky wrote:Seriously?I mean Cobb's Street Tuner comes with a 80 page maunal.Enginiuty is free and it has better support and is 100x more user friendly than EcuEdit.I have had it for weeks and can't even veiw a single map.It take 3 or more days before Epifan even replies and i have tried to registor twice on the website with no return email confirmation for account activation.Whats the deal?Even some kind of documentation or starters guide either with the software or on his website would be great considering the software is being sold as a product...

It sounds to me like your way over your head and instead of taking the time to learn how to use the program you post up wanting someone to do it for you.
I have been using Enginuity for months with no problem and have used programs like Tunercat and Ecuflash.They just seem like much more user friendly programs.I'm sure EcuEdit has more advanced features but it doesn't do me any good if i don't know what they do or how to use them.How can i take the time to use the program if there are no instructions to even get me started?
stinky

Postby stinky » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:06 am

Freon wrote:Can you post your ROM?
This is the ROM i am using
Attachments
2002WRX4EATStock_A4SGE01C.hex
(160 KiB) Downloaded 2006 times
stinky

Postby Freon » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:30 pm

Freon

Postby stinky » Tue May 01, 2007 6:27 am

Thank you!Having better luck with EcuEdit.Some definition files were missing for the logger.
stinky

Return to Tuning Software