06 map on 07 wrx?

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

06 map on 07 wrx?

Postby loki12487 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:56 pm

just wondering if anyone knows if the maps for the 06 wrx will work with the 07 wrx. usin open ecu program. i read some where that you could use the 06 map on a 07. wanted to get a 2nd opinion cause im new to the whole loading maps thing. any help is appreciated. thanks
loki12487

Postby Freon » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:27 am

You definitely should never attempt to flash a whole image from one year car to another. To be safe (i.e. unless you REALLY know what you're doing), you should always read YOUR car's ROM image, back it up, and modify and use that to tune. Never try to use your friend's ROM.

The 07 Imprezas seem to have new coding and tuning methodology. I do not think you could even copy and paste one map at a time over. Some of the maps are different sizes, so they wouldn't fit to start. Also, the compensations are often located in different maps. There is less IAT vs airflow 3D map compensation, but more compensations in the 2D coolant and IAT timing compensation maps. The maps are all built to work together, so you can't expect to get lucky and get a car running well by trying to copy and paste maps from a different tune and car. Remember your tuning software doesn't (and never will) show 100% of all the maps in the ECU.

It's always best to just read your car's ROM image out and use that to tune and reflash. A lot can go wrong if you don't.
Freon

Postby fdt » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:53 am

slightly off topic but does anyone know if i can flash a my02 (USDM) map onto a my01 (adm) ecu? i'm assuming that the my02 US spec is equivalent to the Aus spec my01 (first of the bugeye shape)

More specifically i'm referring to the XPT map which is based of a my02 USDM model.

cheers
fred
fdt

Postby loki12487 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:14 pm

wow i didnt know that, anyone know were i can get a stage 1 map for an 07?
loki12487

Postby ponos808 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:00 am

If the sucked ROM contains NOT only maps, but maps with code - i do not understand why the same MCU with a same size flash memory will refuse to run it??? as far as i can see looking through sucked bin\hex there is an denso microcode in it. So MCU can just run this code and use maps with accordance of map addresses which are given in the code itself. But of course, if you're using @old@ code with a different dimensioned and wrong addressed maps - it won"t work///
I hope (and will try to check on my car) if the Flash size and MCU type are the same for different ECU revisions - car can be cranked. i wish to try use STi code on WRX.
The only question for me is that can i reflash back my stock bin, if different bin refuses to work .

Can someone comment my hopings ?
ponos808

Postby Freon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:55 pm

There can be pin differences, other hardware differences. The ECU is a lot more than just the main CPU. Could be different spark system. If you're really sure they're identical down to every pin with all the same exact hardware, that's your decision to try. There is a laundry list of things to confirm are the same. Plugs? Injectors? Turbo? Emissions equipment? I just wouldn't suggest it.

I wouldn't say you should try copying and pasting just the maps from one to another either without reconfirming the whole tune. At that point you might just want to tune it from scratch. You'd still need to watch AFR, EGT, and knock.

You could gleam some info, like what peak boost you can try with a certain turbo and engine combination, and about what timing you might run.
Freon

Postby ponos808 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:37 pm

when you've talking about hardware portion ( pinouts, equipment types) do you mean that MCUs code can directly request different hardware address ? i think that it is not @my@ problem, because interworking between ECU hardware and engine's equipment probable have to be the same for cars with common hardware platform (engine type, sensors, turbos).

Of course you cannot port code even for the same MCU which are used on different hardware platform !

as far as i know, the engine, injectors, spark plugs and most other things are same for EDM WRX & EDM STi.... so i will try

BUT the question was : if STis code won't start my WRX, do i have a possibility to flash back my original code ? other words : does car remain flashabale ?
ponos808

Postby Jon [in CT] » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:35 am

You could end up with a situation similar to that described at http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=790.
Jon [in CT]

Postby ponos808 » Thu May 03, 2007 12:01 pm

successfully done with complete code swap... thanks to all.
ponos808

Postby Jon [in CT] » Thu May 03, 2007 1:29 pm

ponos808 wrote:successfully done with complete code swap... thanks to all.
This isn't useful information unless you give us the details about both your original ECU and the ROM image you "swapped" onto it.

Which market?
Which model year?
Which model?
Which calibration ID?

Have you tried swapping back to the original, yet?
Jon [in CT]

Postby ponos808 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:25 pm

both has same year and market/// of course for the same hardware platform

question was : is it possible to flash it back ? - was not checked yet, BUT i think, that it will be possible, because flash method is STi05, and (most important) there is no additional wires in OBD connector, to which new microcode can flashing possibility to address.

the only reason why i can lose flashing ability different bootloader address////

i'll try to alter new microcode and inform about result : is car remain flashable or not
ponos808

Postby Jon [in CT] » Fri May 04, 2007 4:28 am

ponos808, you failed to answer any of these questions for either your ECU or the ROM image you flashed onto it:
Which market?
Which model year?
Which model?
Which calibration ID?
Why the secrecy?
Jon [in CT]

Postby ponos808 » Tue May 08, 2007 2:00 am

EDM WRX/STi 2006
After complete code swap ECU remains flashable. i didn't go back, but i've corrected some parameters and flashed it down again into ECU successfully. BUT please note, that i've swapped whole the code, not only maps itself. Do not try to repeat this kind of whole code swap on your car/engine, if you are not really sure what you are exactly doing. Freon is absolutely right, taking that you have to be sure, that the only difference is MCU's code. And note, that you are VERY limited with number of flash attempts...
ponos808

Return to Tuning Software