Help to identify Maps in Euro WRX MY03

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Postby Mo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:49 pm

Yes Steve the second one, it will fall off as VE decreases (as engine speed increases).
Mo

Postby NeverLies » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:50 am

calvinc wrote:
Calvin, I found that some of the early offsets were one byte out.
on the contrary my dear watson...you guys obviously dont have the map format.

3D maps:
<y-axis values><y-axis length - 1><x-axis values><x-axis length - 1><type><z-axis values>

2D maps:
<y-axis values><y-axis length - 1><type><z-axis values>

type definitions (3D):
0x04 = y16 x8 z8
0x14 = y16 x8 z16
0x05 = y16 x16 z8
0x15 = y16 x16 z16

type definitions (2D):
0x00 = y8 z8
0x01 = y16 z8
0x10 = y8 z16
0x11 = y16 z16

the type definitions represent the bit read length. an x,y,z of 8 means read as the character (8bit). an x,y,z of 16 means read as short (16bits)

so the only offset you should need is the 1 to the <type>, the rest is all available within the map itself.

calvin.

Some more informations (based on Euro rom disassembling, may be different for USDM/JDM):

Data series:
<values lenght -1><values type><values>

where values type can be:
0x91 : values are stored on 2 bytes
0x90 : values are stored on 1 byte

When you will get some list of datas that match this pattern, the only way to get theirs definition is disassembling ;)
NeverLies

Postby ahains » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:34 am

[quote="crispyduckI would like to confirm with you guys that I am looking at the correct 'load' values.[/quote]

Steve,
You can calculate load simply with this formula:
g/4 cylinders charge = 120 * maf (g/sec) / rpm (rev/min)
taken from this thread:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888269

For a point of reference, I saw a load of 4.4 on fully stock hardware when I was running a cobb stage 1 map.
ahains

Postby crispyduck » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:08 pm

Just a quick note to bring this thread back to life. I'm still at a dead end trying to explain the differences in the illustration at the end of page one of this thread.

Can anyone help me explain these differences? Any assistance greatly appriciated :-)
-Steve.
crispyduck

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:42 am

have you tried this in you car yet?

I checked the injector scaling and it seems it is till scaled for stock injectors. I am very interested in what the car it came in was running for boost. Those seem like very high boost targets for the stock turbo - 18psi??? And with even lower than stock fueling values? It seems like they just added a columb to the stock ignition map and fuel maps with the exception of the higher load low rpm sites being for conservative. What do PPP come with? They are essentially up/TBE/reflash??

Overall a very interesting tune. Weird though.
Hitokiri

Postby crispyduck » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Hitokiri wrote:have you tried this in you car yet?

Yep tried this in my car - see the results in this thread including data logging runs.

Hitokiri wrote:I checked the injector scaling and it seems it is till scaled for stock injectors. I am very interested in what the car it came in was running for boost. Those seem like very high boost targets for the stock turbo - 18psi??? And with even lower than stock fueling values? It seems like they just added a columb to the stock ignition map and fuel maps with the exception of the higher load low rpm sites being for conservative.

Your analysis is correct - stock injectors, altered scaling for load. On the above referenced thread people confirmed that this is a normal way of tuning to save running off the end of my map!

Not sure what the original car was running for boost. I've had some private email exchange with the guy who posted this (peewee). He owns a tuning shop and came across a MY03 EURO WRX with a 2005 P** image flashed. He kindly merged the relevant maps for me in to my original image as I couldn't establish why his posted image maps were in a slightly different location than mine. This thread attempts to explain a few difference from this map merge that I can not explain.

Regarding boot target, I too thought 18psi was high (1.24bar) but in reality this is boost target and, as you'll see from my logs, I'm getting a solid 15-16psi (1.1bar). Good job because my fuel cut is around 1.25bar (just over 18psi)!!

This map results in high IDC's which I need to sort out. Upgraded pump and injectors are on the plan.

Hitokiri wrote:What do PPP come with? They are essentially up/TBE/reflash??

Others can confirm on here, but I understand that a PPP on a standard WRX uses the stock injectors - this is why its useful to 'learn' from this type of map ;-)

Hitokiri wrote:Overall a very interesting tune. Weird though.

In summary, I've been running this map for a month or so now and it feels significantly different than the standard map. In fact, today I reflashed it back to standard as it was going to the main dealer for a 40K miles service. The car felt really slow today on my normal 35 mile commute to work .... reflashed back to modified map after garage dropped off car again and I had a much faster and enjoyable 35 mile trip back home :-) All thanks to this great OpenECU community ... fantastic! Just wish someone could help me explain the above identified differences...
-Steve.
crispyduck

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:54 pm

so you are running with just the main maps changed? with the new load scaling in place, etc? What about the extra bits you don't understand? did you copy those over as well?
Hitokiri

Postby crispyduck » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:21 am

Hitokiri wrote:so you are running with just the main maps changed? with the new load scaling in place, etc? What about the extra bits you don't understand? did you copy those over as well?

I took a calculated risk and am running the modified map I posted which includes a few changes I don't understand yet. With that said I've been logging it quite a bit to check things are still fine. IAM is always 16 which is a really good sign.
crispyduck

Postby crispyduck » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:50 am

Thought I would offically close this thread out as I've worked out a while ago what the odd changes were I reported much earlier in this thread. Thanks to XMLWrite being able to determine more maps for us this is what the final changes were.

The following is a copy of the original screen shot diffs that were giving me trouble decoding:

First one above (two-bytes: 05 5C) represents the Fuel Map Result Before Ramping Intead of Jumping (Lambda 0.12). I have no idea what this means.

Second one (one-byte: 2C) is the throttle % (26%) for open loop.

Third one [two-byte: B1 B8] is the Closed/Open Loop switch over (100mph and 114mph)

The 3-bytes (7F 78 74) changed above is slightly modifying the Ignition Intake Temp Compensation map.

All the above changes are to the Turbo Dynamics - Proportional Continuous map.

The above changes in red are to the Turbo Dynamics - Integral Positive map - I have no idea what this does.

First line of change above is the select monitor ID [2E 44 58 41 05] for my MY03 car which got changed by mistake to the select monitor ID of the MY05 ECU these maps were copied from. I've since corrected this.

The second change here [1F 02 E0] I am still unable to determine what this is. Perhaps it's a date, comment or other identification code from the other ECU? If anyone knows please pass on the details.

The third change here [FF's FE's] are the Cat Threshold 2 - Fail Above A & B maps - raise the limit in both instances.

The above is a change to the Boost Solenoid CEL Map Threshold - again raising the limit.

In summary, apart from the one item above (in bold) I can account for all mods to my maps by a member on here. With that said I understand the rational for most of them except the Tubro Dynamics maps and the Fuel Map Result Before Ramping Intead of Jumping map (well Lambda value).

Any final assistance with these last items would be appricated.
-Steve.
crispyduck

Previous

Return to Tuning Software