using roms/memory offset

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

using roms/memory offset

Postby diablerouge » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:47 am

i received my openport 1.2 cable last night and promptly installed onto my laptop so i could download the rom on my my02 usdm wrx. downloaded via ecuflash with no problem at all after i realized my cable was on com5. my question is: the revision that i downloaded from my ecu is A4SGD10C, but it is not the same as the a4sgd10c image located in this post: http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=63

am i just missing the bootloader or something else that needs to be appended to the beginning of my rom? i can still find the same information in my rom through the hex editor in ecuedit, so i guess what i've downloaded is only part of the total image on my ecu. i am not able to view my rom in enginuity, as the offsets are incorrect and it won't even bring up the tables. how should i go about fixing my rom so that it is the standard which is posted on the boards?

can i change the rom i have right now, upload it to my ecu, and not ruin it? if the steps to being able to edit and reflash have been posted in an faq or something, my apologies.

attached is the rom i downloaded last night.
Attachments
stock_20060105.zip
A4SGD10C ROM from USDM 02 WRX
(85.78 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
diablerouge

Postby diablerouge » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:21 am

okay i'm sure this has been covered before. i might have seen this before, but either way i realized that i had to do the 160k->192k conversion to get the 'standard' address mapping. now the question is, is this 192k image the one i should be reflashing to the ecu after editing? i assume so, since i haven't seen a 192k->160k conversion tool. then again, you know what happens when you assume...

anyone know the status of any reflashing tools with the openport 1.2 cable? i know no one has one yet, but any word of how close it is to being reality?
diablerouge

Postby Kha0S » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:07 pm

diablerouge wrote:okay i'm sure this has been covered before. i might have seen this before, but either way i realized that i had to do the 160k->192k conversion to get the 'standard' address mapping. now the question is, is this 192k image the one i should be reflashing to the ecu after editing? i assume so, since i haven't seen a 192k->160k conversion tool. then again, you know what happens when you assume...

anyone know the status of any reflashing tools with the openport 1.2 cable? i know no one has one yet, but any word of how close it is to being reality?

All of my reflashes have used 192k ROMs, but I think ecuflash does both.

I'm currently running a modified AF411 (900C) in my MY02 US WRX... with modified boost and turbo dynamics (around 16.2psi peak)... I just started tweaking fuel values (using a TechEdge WBO2 wideband and TARI ecuExplorer together). I've been using epifan's ecuedit to do the map changes, with my own XML descriptor.
Kha0S

Postby cboles » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:28 pm

i made the 160k and 192k formats - the 192k format is convienient for loading in a hex editor since the addresses match 1:1 with what is inside the ECU. the 160k format saves space, which isn't very necessary these days. ecuflash recognizes both formats. the new editing tools i'm working on are also backwards compatible with these formats, but generally pack the files (160k) and add extra meta info, including non-mandatory checksums for safety.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby crispyduck » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:51 pm

PLEASE IGNORE - Colby POSTED BEFORE I HAD TIME TO REPLY!

diablerouge wrote:... realized that i had to do the 160k->192k conversion to get the 'standard' address mapping. now the question is, is this 192k image the one i should be reflashing to the ecu after editing?

You've raised a good point. By default ecuFlash read my Euro MY03 WRX image using 160K image. I've modified my image and successfully reflashed it without converting it to 192K.

Hopefully someone can explain why one might want to convert a 160K image to a 192K image. I expect it is to provide a 'data fill' for other map editing tools that may require the volitile memory addresses to be resolved. Again, someone who knows please tell us...

diablerouge wrote:anyone know the status of any reflashing tools with the openport 1.2 cable? i know no one has one yet, but any word of how close it is to being reality?

ecuFlash already works with OpenPort 1.2 - it must do because I've used it! I read that ecuExplorer is looking at supporting OpenPort 1.2 soon.
crispyduck

Postby diablerouge » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:47 am

okay, all understood now.

crispyduck: you can confirm a reflash using the openport 1.2 cable?

for some reason or another, i haven't been able to log with ecuexplorer. it always says disconnected. i'll mess around with it.

the standalone on my golf has a wideband that i'd like to pull and use on the subaru, but its too wired in there and i'm too lazy to dismantle it all when i really should just buy a wbo2/egt standalone unit. i'd like to see if the 9:1 afr that the stock and cobb reportedly uses is really necessary, because i've never seen any ratios below ~11.5:1 on any of the afr graphs of any other forced induction cars making any decent amount of power. do the boxer motors run hotter than i4's, making them require more fuel to keep it cool enough?
diablerouge

Postby crispyduck » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:53 am

diablerouge wrote:crispyduck: you can confirm a reflash using the openport 1.2 cable?

Yes I can confirm 100%, using ecuFlash version 1.01.72.
crispyduck

Postby Navybluesubaru » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:59 am

I use ecuExplorer with OpenPort 1.2. It works, i promise!

Jeff
Navybluesubaru

Postby cboles » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:12 pm

You have reflashed using a 1.2 Openport with EcuExplorer? I had heard from Calvin that he hasn't started supporting the 1.2 for reflashing yet...
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Navybluesubaru » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:07 pm

Oh no I simply meant that ecuExplorer will work with normal functions like viewing CEL's and real-time data items. I also get errors when attempting the flash stuff so I just dont mess with it.

Jeff
Navybluesubaru

Postby calvinc » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:50 am

i have ordered my 1.2 cable today. getting access to 1 of them was taking too long. should be here shortly and then i will add the support for the cable.

calvin.
calvinc

Postby diablerouge » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:32 am

cool. thanks calvin. (i just noticed, there's no beer smilie here, so :beer:)
diablerouge

1.2 cable

Postby gethin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:41 pm

I'm waiting for 1.2 support too!

Great stuff guys!
gethin

Re: 1.2 cable

Postby crispyduck » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:04 am

Again, I'm another waiting in the wings for 1.2 support.

Just a thought Calvin. With a few of us now looking at actually remapping our ECUs it would be a great feature to add 'Alarms' to ecuExplorer. They could be preconfigured to make sounds and highlight the diagnostics display when certain 'events' happen. Events could be as simple as hitting or exceeding a configured value e.g. for MAF, IAM, knock correction or more complicated like looking at trends or a combination of events. This would give us all more assurance that we are not killing our cars as it's only after one or more diagnostic runs that you look back at your logs and see how its all gone. Much safer to know ASAP.

-Steve.
crispyduck

Postby calvinc » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:46 am

ok great news... :D

received my openport 1.2 cables last week and have now added support for them to ecuExplorer. flashed a new image to my car last night...works 100%

busy with a few more features and then i'll be releasing it.

calvin.
calvinc

Next

Return to Tuning Software