Reset Cobb AccessPort (AP) to stock?

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Reset Cobb AccessPort (AP) to stock?

Postby jschnur » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:05 am

I have an accessport that I want to reset back to stock (for a 2002 US WRX manual). I wrecked the car (and thus can't unmarry it at this point) and want to sell the AP on ebay. As a newbie, I know I will probably be scoffed at, but is there a way to reset the device back? I own the CD that came with the AccessPort, as well as all the cables and everything else. Is there any software out there that will work? Does anyone have instructions?
jschnur

Postby qoncept » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:22 am

Without the ECU, you're pretty much out of luck. You can send it back to Cobb and they'll unmarry it for $375 I believe. If you know where the car is, it might be worth it to go buy the ECU.

That said, it's definately possible to unmarry it, but however you did it wouldn't be legal and I don't know how to go about it. I'd say if you could provide proof to Cobb of your story they should do it for free, but that won't happen.
qoncept

Postby cboles » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:23 pm

The car doesn't have to run - but you do need the ECU. It can be done on a bench programming setup.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Freon » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:35 pm

Can you not get to the vehicle at this point? Your insurance company will probably let you go visit the car to get your personal items out, at which point you could try to unmarry it.
Freon

Postby jschnur » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:22 am

Yeah; I already got my personals out of the car. It has been hauled off - I wasn't thinking about unmarrrying the device at the time. Oh well. I guess it's garbage.
jschnur

Postby qoncept » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:37 am

There was a guy on clubwrx selling his married AP, asking about $100. It's still a better deal for someone than buying a new one...

You should also be able to work something out with your insurance to be reimbursed for it, since it was a part of the car.
qoncept

Postby ahains » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:02 am

This is why it is valuable to "back up" your cobb map to a computer while in its married state. If the ECU ever gets hosed, you could then just flash this married state image back to another ECU to allow the device to go through the unmarrying process.

I assume that each accessport unit has a unique ID that it includes in the married state image that it writes, so that you cannot unmarry your accessport on a car that was married with a different accessport unit. I have never seen any info either way, but I assume they do this.
ahains

Return to Tuning Software