Low advance multiplier, boost

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Low advance multiplier, boost

Postby qoncept » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:33 pm

I just made some changes to my timing, boost, wastegate duty and fuel tables, reflashed and went for a quick spin -- at first it seemed fine, I hit 14psi in 2nd gear before I started logging.

When I got to an open road and started logging, I was only hitting 7psi in 2nd and 10 in 3rd. It looks to me like that's just the wastegate pressure, and it raises to 10psi in 3rd because of creep (?). I looked at my advance multiplier and it's now at 0 (started at 8 of course). From the logs, nothing looks broken, and I haven't gotten a CEL.

I'm done for tonight, but any ideas what might be wrong before I go out tomorrow and flash my old image back? I'd look for vacuum leaks, but I don't know why I'd suddenly have one, and flashing my old image back would be easier anyway. TIA

Edit: Apparantly I was logging when the IAM first dropped. Here's a screenshot
Attachments
log.jpg
log.jpg (88.5 KiB) Viewed 7043 times
qoncept

Postby Jeramie » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:25 pm

"Apparantly I was logging when the IAM first dropped. Here's a screenshot "

That means there was knock event? :?:

Is this the first you have used the Enginuity to edit the tables in the ecu image and flash them?

Are you modifying your stock image or the image distributed with enginuity?
Jeramie

Postby qoncept » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:54 pm

Jeramie wrote:"Apparantly I was logging when the IAM first dropped. Here's a screenshot "

That means there was knock event? :?:

Is this the first you have used the Enginuity to edit the tables in the ecu image and flash them?

Are you modifying your stock image or the image distributed with enginuity?

There was no knock signal. I've used it to raise my boost successfully before, and I compared the file before and after with a hex editor to make sure nothing had changed other than the tables I altered -- everything looks fine. The image included with the distro is my stock image with a few changes Mike has made for the OL/CL delay, which I made my changes to today.
qoncept

Postby New2Scoobs » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:06 am

Out of curiosity, what were the before & after values that you modified? - It might help someone identify what's gone wrong.
New2Scoobs

Postby crazymikie » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:22 am

It looks like your car did knock- the knock signal is not reliable since you can't sample fast enough to always catch it. What is better to look at is your knock correction and ignition timing values.

If you see sudden dips in either (2 or more degrees) then that means the ECU heard noise (what it believed to be knock) and retarded timing. If it's severe/frequent enough, then the IAM will be pulled back. When the IAM drops below 4, the car will go into low boost/high det fueling (it will cut boost and basically dump fuel in hopes of protecting the engine). If this happens, you should not drive the car hard- it's unhappy.

Also, another thing to think about is that is running very rich can cause misfires which I think can be 'heard' as knock by the ECU as well. If your car gets really out of whack and starts using the high det fuel map, you may have to fix the problem and reset the ECU to get things back in line.

If you look at your timing curve, it bounces up and down during that pull- that should not be happening. Overall ignition timing should smoothly drop as engine load increases and then start to increase and load is constant (at peak torque) until redline, as your RPMs increase.

It does look like your car is running lean at the onset of boost- at least according to the front O2 signal- I am unsure how much to trust it, however, this could be the cause of your problems. When I first tried StreetTuner, I had a similar problem- the delay was too long on the canned maps, so after resetting, I could get my IAM to drop if I drove under certain conditions. Not sure if it's the same thing, but it looks like your car is holding stoich fueling for a while after you get on it.

Please let me know if I can help.

Mike
crazymikie

Postby Spiider » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:15 am

I was going to say something similar which is to look at the timing bouncing around. Also thats not very much timing advance so something isn't happy.
Spiider

Postby qoncept » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:29 am

Hmm.. I think maybe I'll flash my old image back, run through this tank of gas, make sure I get some good gas, and try again. Thanks for the help!
qoncept

Postby Jeramie » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:48 am

crazymikie wrote:It looks like your car did knock- the knock signal is not reliable since you can't sample fast enough to always catch it. What is better to look at is your knock correction and ignition timing values.

If you see sudden dips in either (2 or more degrees) then that means the ECU heard noise (what it believed to be knock) and retarded timing. If it's severe/frequent enough, then the IAM will be pulled back. When the IAM drops below 4, the car will go into low boost/high det fueling (it will cut boost and basically dump fuel in hopes of protecting the engine). If this happens, you should not drive the car hard- it's unhappy.

Thanks for clearing that up mike. Saved me alot of typing. Feel like I'm starting to get the hang of this stuff. :D

qoncept - sent you a pm!
Jeramie

Postby qoncept » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:54 pm

I traced the problem back to Enginuity. I made some changes to the engine parameter tab and used that version instead of the latest one I'd uploaded to the website. It caused a problem somehow, haven't looked in to it yet. Don't worry -- this bad version isn't on the website, so the one you have is fine. :)

Anyway, I went back and used the distributed version of Enginuity and made all the same changes then flashed it. The car's running great now.
qoncept

Postby ride5000 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:40 am

qoncept wrote:I traced the problem back to Enginuity. I made some changes to the engine parameter tab and used that version instead of the latest one I'd uploaded to the website. It caused a problem somehow, haven't looked in to it yet. Don't worry -- this bad version isn't on the website, so the one you have is fine. :)

Anyway, I went back and used the distributed version of Enginuity and made all the same changes then flashed it. The car's running great now.

interesting.

good that you found out something was indeed amiss. thanks for being the guinea pig! ;) this stuff is a bit dangerous, but that's what makes it exciting...

ken
ride5000

Postby Jeramie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:44 am

qoncept wrote:I traced the problem back to Enginuity. I made some changes to the engine parameter tab and used that version instead of the latest one I'd uploaded to the website. It caused a problem somehow, haven't looked in to it yet. Don't worry -- this bad version isn't on the website, so the one you have is fine. :)

Glad to hear you got it all worked out!
Jeramie

Return to Tuning Software