Evo IX Knock Count

User topics relating to software that provides a tuning UI to alter ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Evo IX Knock Count

Postby bpi » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:39 pm

Hi,

The latest tune of my ECU shows knock counts of 1-3 between 3500-4000 and then knock counts of 5-7 from 6500-7000.

The standard ECU will only show a knock count of 1 at about 7000rpm.

Are these quantities of knock considered safe?

FYI the count shows up under WOT power runs.

Thanks,
Brendan
bpi

Postby S54fan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:06 am

The ECU seems to pull 2 degress out for a knock sum of 6 and start to reduce the octane number. However, 1 extra degree on the timing map can be enough to change a trivial knock sum of 1 or 2 into a 6 or 7. I find that (as long as the AFR is correct) retarding a degree in the zones that get knock sums of 6 or 7 usually sorts it out and makes it smoother. I tune to a maximum knock sum of 3, that way the ECU will always try to increase the octane number to maximum.
S54fan

Postby evoralph » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:34 pm

S54fan wrote:The ECU seems to pull 2 degress out for a knock sum of 6 and start to reduce the octane number. However, 1 extra degree on the timing map can be enough to change a trivial knock sum of 1 or 2 into a 6 or 7. I find that (as long as the AFR is correct) retarding a degree in the zones that get knock sums of 6 or 7 usually sorts it out and makes it smoother. I tune to a maximum knock sum of 3, that way the ECU will always try to increase the octane number to maximum.

That is odd, 1 KS for me removes 1 degree timing. 2 removes 2, 3 removes 3.. The maximum it removes is 3 degrees then the ECU begins to refer to your low octane timing map.. Interpolated according to your current "octane" as it shows in EVOScan.

If OCTANE = 100 then you're running 100% "Hi-Octane" timing/fuel maps.. :}

But, hey, maybe I'm way off :roll:
evoralph

Return to Tuning Software