How to measure AFR

User topics relating to software that logs data from ECUs

Moderator: Freon

How to measure AFR

Postby stanton » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:52 pm

After convincing myself I need an LC-1 or LM-1 wideband AFR "controller", I then started thinking about where to put it. I'd sure rather not weld a new bung on. The front (narrowband) stock O2 sensor is before the cats, but also before the turbo. I've read that's not a good place for the new sensor - both because of heat (>1300F) and pressure.

I have a cat in my downpipe, so that would cause misreadings if I replaced the rear (wideband?) O2 sensor. But then I got to thinking... if there's already a wideband O2 sensor in the downpipe, shouldn't we be able to read that with the ECU? I've heard "yes". I've heard "no". But I've heard nothing convincing, and am now more confused.

Where does the information from the rear O2 sensor go? Is it truly "wideband". It it good enough to get valid AFRs from?
stanton

Postby MDTURBO » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:21 pm

narrow band in mid-pipe (post turbo) is only used to ensure cat is working

the wideband o2 sensor pre-turbo is not accurate enough to tune with... below 12:1 it is not accurate.

options

Turn off DTC codes for rear o2 sensor codes, remove rear o2 sensor, replace with aftermarket wideband.
MDTURBO

Return to Data Logging Software