TARI DL1

User topics relating to software that logs data from ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Postby west_minist » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:35 am

Ok. Any idea when v2 will be release?
west_minist

Postby calvinc » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:43 am

no timelines set, GUI programming in C++ is not my strong point. i'm also trying to make it as flexible as possible to allow for modifications to the bit masks as we learn and as more ecu types are learnt about.

thinking about releasing v2 as open source when its complete...
calvinc

Postby west_minist » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:08 am

Ok. Either way, very nice program.
west_minist

Postby crash » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:15 pm

calvinc wrote:no timelines set, GUI programming in C++ is not my strong point. i'm also trying to make it as flexible as possible to allow for modifications to the bit masks as we learn and as more ecu types are learnt about.

thinking about releasing v2 as open source when its complete...

Ever thought about writing your GUI in a rapid development environment (like C# or another .NET language) and just referencing your C++ code to do the work?
crash

Postby calvinc » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:39 pm

i'd rather chew off my arm than use microsofts new 'managed' classes within C++ .NET.
VB.NET still isnt up to the task.
C# has potential...but haven't tried the change over yet.

i have some experience in using dialog classes for really basic gui work, so i'm sure i could put 1 out that will be decent enough for what we need.
calvinc

Postby ahains » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:59 am

calvinc wrote:i'd rather chew off my arm than use microsofts new 'managed' classes within C++ .NET.
VB.NET still isnt up to the task.
C# has potential...but haven't tried the change over yet.

i have some experience in using dialog classes for really basic gui work, so i'm sure i could put 1 out that will be decent enough for what we need.

As I'm sure you're aware, c# is very similar to java. Most folks I know enjoy coding in it.

In case you are interested, you can download the beta 2 "Express" SKU of Whidbey (latest Visual Studio) c# ide here:
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/v ... fault.aspx

I like c# quite a bit, but I may be somewhat biased in that I work for Microsoft. Although I have hardly used the free "Express" SKU, since I'm not paying for the full SKU.

-Adrian
ahains

Postby cboles » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:01 am

If you are already commited to developing on Windows, I highly recommend C#. If all the code I'm writing for this project was just for myself, I would have used C#.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby calvinc » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:06 pm

As I'm sure you're aware, c# is very similar to java. Most folks I know enjoy coding in it.

In case you are interested, you can download the beta 2 "Express" SKU of Whidbey (latest Visual Studio) c# ide here:
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/v ... fault.aspx

I like c# quite a bit, but I may be somewhat biased in that I work for Microsoft. Although I have hardly used the free "Express" SKU, since I'm not paying for the full SKU.

-Adrian

my company is a fully registered msdn subscriber so we get all the latest and 'greatest' solutions from MS.

i work with C++ every day and am very familiar/comfortable in using it, so i'd rather stick with that. v2 is going well and so far the visual stuff has been alright.

calvin.[/quote]
calvinc

Looks good

Postby dubya_rx » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:01 am

Only used it idling in my driveway so far.

What is the maximum interface speed we can use or is it always the same? I noticed that if I was logging all the analog signals (not wise I know) that it would miss the defrost toggle, and would not start logging data.

The other very minor issue I noticed was the MIN and VALUE columns were swtiched for the digital signals. Ie... the MIN value would change when the switch was toggled, but the VALUE column would reflect the MIN value recorded.

But still way cool stuff!!! Very excited.

-Walter
dubya_rx

Postby calvinc » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:16 pm

What is the maximum interface speed we can use or is it always the same?
the interface speed is automatically scaled based on how many parameters you have selected. this is a deficiency of my comms interface and using the VB MSCOMM stuff. i will most definately improve on this in the next app.

I noticed that if I was logging all the analog signals (not wise I know) that it would miss the defrost toggle, and would not start logging data.
you can log all analogue signals but its not advisable. this is when the comms routines run into trouble and start fragmenting the messages and finally it loses itself. rather log just what you find most important, your sample rate will also improve. deltadash also suffers from this problem.

The other very minor issue I noticed was the MIN and VALUE columns were swtiched for the digital signals. Ie... the MIN value would change when the switch was toggled, but the VALUE column would reflect the MIN value recorded.
i will check this out ASAP...

calvin.
calvinc

Postby dubya_rx » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:49 am

the interface speed is automatically scaled based on how many parameters you have selected. this is a deficiency of my comms interface and using the VB MSCOMM stuff. i will most definately improve on this in the next app.

Thanks. I was actually referring to the OS comms setup... ie baud rates,etc. Are those settings used or does the DL1 setup up everything for you?

The other idea I had was to be able to adjust the sample rate of the analog values. For example, sample RPM every time, but reduce the samples for, say, EGT to once every 4 samples. Would that be possible?

(This stuff is great btw)

-Walter
dubya_rx

Postby calvinc » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:13 am

Thanks. I was actually referring to the OS comms setup... ie baud rates,etc. Are those settings used or does the DL1 setup up everything for you?
the ECU operates at fixed settings so they remain static and there is no need to allow the user to change them. maybe to enforce some sort of handshaking but nothing much else.

The other idea I had was to be able to adjust the sample rate of the analog values. For example, sample RPM every time, but reduce the samples for, say, EGT to once every 4 samples. Would that be possible?

thats actually an exceptionally good idea. i little complicated to implement but nevertheless good. complications will also arise when you try log to a file. hmmmmmmm...will look into this.

calvin.
calvinc

Postby realwomble » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:30 am

dubya_rx wrote:The other idea I had was to be able to adjust the sample rate of the analog values. For example, sample RPM every time, but reduce the samples for, say, EGT to once every 4 samples. Would that be possible?

I had already implemented this in my (file only) logger with source available.

E.g.

ECU.EXE <com> LOG log.txt TPS :2:BATT

will log TPS every sample and BATT battery every 2nd sample.

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=71

For graphs, use excel or similar :)
realwomble

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:34 pm

I have a 99 2.5RS and am having issues with logging.

more parameters show up fine in the live screen, but I have no data item for the defog switch, so I can't control logging.

its actually wierd the logging will randomly start and stop it seems at times, sometimes creating tons of 1k files but never keeping one file open for long.

any ideas?

you you add a log button as well?
Hitokiri

Postby calvinc » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:10 pm

hitokiri - mail me and we'll sort this out off-board.

calvin (theboss@tari.co.za)
calvinc

PreviousNext

Return to Data Logging Software