LC-1 and Logger Connectivity

User topics relating to software that logs data from ECUs

Moderator: Freon

LC-1 and Logger Connectivity

Postby Spec C Wannabe » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:11 am

Are there any free logger softwares that can read and log output from a Wide Band controller like LC-1 (from Innovate Motorsport)? It is understand that stock O2 sensor is not accurate and useful enough in terms of tuning. Reading/monitoring accurate AF ratio is one of the most important aspect in tuning and the cost of this WB unit is not very high. At around 180$, I am very interested in investing one to get it right the first time.

I've read that DeltaDash (Ecutek's logger) and StreetTuner can read LC-1 but they are not free which is not align with our main philosophy for this board. :)
Spec C Wannabe

Postby Freon » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:25 pm

It looks like it has a serial output. Can you not just open up Hyperterminal and record a log? If you can't do that, you're going to have to buy physical hardware that can log one of the analog outputs.
Freon

Postby Spec C Wannabe » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:07 pm

Yes, it communicates with a lap top through serial port. The output from the Bosch O2 sensor is analog with a range of 0-5 volts. Actually,The WB controller itself has a logger program but that logger works independently. For expample if you want to log rpm, boost and AFR at the same time and record them into the same log file, you need to buy their optional AUXbox to capture rpm and boost data from the ecu. Without this box, you can only record time and AFR which is very limited in usage.

I am looking for a free Subaru logger software that can capture signals from LC-1 through a serial port on the laptop, then incoporate the AFR logged data into the same file as others parameters which are logged by that free logger through OpenPort cable.

Having one file just for AFR and another log file for the others parameter makes it inaccurate to analyze the AFR data because of the timing difference in the data capturing sequence.

Think about having another column called "LC-1 AFR reading" in the *.csv file.
Spec C Wannabe

Postby Hitokiri » Mon May 01, 2006 5:09 am

well it was going to happen till ecuexplorer progress got suspended for realtime tuning.

If you talk to calvin he might be able to give some help as to how to maybe do it.
Hitokiri

Postby Freon » Mon May 01, 2006 11:55 am

Spec C, that will require someone to custom program that into a logger. A logger that already works.

I believe Calvin released his source if someone wants to hop on it.
Freon

Postby qoncept » Mon May 01, 2006 12:54 pm

Does the LC-1 have a programmable output voltage like the LM-1? If so, you should be able to just replace the stock sensor and log in Tari. This is what I was hoping to do.. which reminds me. What is the output range of this sensor?

Edit: the rear o2 sensor..

Edit again: I don't know a whole lot about it.. but would it be possible to have the ECU control a wideband o2 sensor (so we could go buy the Bosch sensor instead of an LM-1 or another controller) ? Basically all it does is heat it sensor, which the ECU does for the stock sensor, right?
qoncept

Postby Spec C Wannabe » Mon May 01, 2006 8:09 pm

qoncept wrote:Does the LC-1 have a programmable output voltage like the LM-1? If so, you should be able to just replace the stock sensor and log in Tari. This is what I was hoping to do.. which reminds me. What is the output range of this sensor?

Edit: the rear o2 sensor..

Edit again: I don't know a whole lot about it.. but would it be possible to have the ECU control a wideband o2 sensor (so we could go buy the Bosch sensor instead of an LM-1 or another controller) ? Basically all it does is heat it sensor, which the ECU does for the stock sensor, right?

As far as I know. LC-1 is almost the same as LM-1 without a screen. For LC-1 to show the AFR, basically you have to plug the unit in and use the laptop screen to show the result or purchase their optional XD-1 standalone AFR 60 mm. guage.

As for the out put these units output range is 0-5 volt while our stock 02 sensor is 0-1 volt. You can not just replace stock 02 with Bosch unit. This is why you need a "wide band controller" which modifies signals to any form that you like. I dont think removing front 02 and replace it with Bosch wideband unit is a practical solution since it's very time consuming process. And a Bosch WB has quite a short life (200 hours) and expensive to replace. Most tuner usually take theirs off after the tuning sessions.

For the replacing rear O2 sensor with Bosch wideband, rear sensor is not the primary o2 sensor for ECU to monitor AFR. It's mainly for Long Term Fuel Trim.

Go to this link to read about connecting LM-1 with Ecutek: http://www.ecutek.com/products/lm1/
Spec C Wannabe

Postby calvinc » Mon May 01, 2006 11:25 pm

the protocols between the LM-1 and LC-1 are different. innovate motorsports will not publish the protocol definition for the LC-1 protocol. thats one of the big problems at the moment. they have an SDK available but it does not suit my needs for development.

calvin.
calvinc

Postby qoncept » Wed May 03, 2006 12:50 pm

The LM-1 has a (2 wire) aux out with a configurable voltage. So I think it'd be easy enough to set it to the proper voltage range and wire it in place of the stock rear sensor.
Attachments
lm1program.GIF
lm1program.GIF (18.31 KiB) Viewed 9174 times
qoncept

Postby swifty » Thu May 04, 2006 3:32 am

I am also considering purchasing a wide band lambda sensor / controller and was also going to go for the LC1. Will this do the job for tuning or do I need to spend the extra and get the LM1 ? I guessed for simply checking the AFR the LC1 would be ok, but is there anything else you need to do ? I'm not entirely clear now :?
swifty

Postby west_minist » Thu May 04, 2006 3:34 am

The problem is that you cannot read lc1 in ecuexplorer.

If you have DD, then great
west_minist

Postby swifty » Thu May 04, 2006 3:38 am

Can you read the output from LM1 in Ecu Explorer ?
swifty

Postby west_minist » Thu May 04, 2006 3:41 am

From the version of ecuexplorer I have, I do not see the function.
west_minist

Postby xswrex » Thu May 04, 2006 3:42 am

swifty wrote:Can you read the output from LM1 in Ecu Explorer ?

no, currently there is no integration for external sensors
xswrex

Postby swifty » Thu May 04, 2006 5:06 am

Do you still need an AUXBOX to log AFR, RPM and Boost at the same time if you are using an LM-1 with logworks software ? Or it just the LC-1 that needs it ? I can see the need to log these in the same log file but am trying to work out which is the best / most cost effective way to achieve it.

Is the LM-1 protocol spec available, ie are there any plans to integrate LM-1 output with ecuexplorer ?

Thanks
swifty

Next

Return to Data Logging Software