ecuEdit v2.4 (Log & View & LC-1 & LM-1 support)

User topics relating to software that logs data from ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Postby DonArm » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:16 am

Tea Cups, excellent idea. So you already have the advanced version of Steettuner that Cobb will be coming out with :wink:

It's to bad that something that started out with good intentions (open source free tuning software) has turned into a greed thing.
DonArm

Postby Tea cups » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:53 am

DonArm wrote:Tea Cups, excellent idea. So you already have the advanced version of Steettuner that Cobb will be coming out with :wink:

It's to bad that something that started out with good intentions (open source free tuning software) has turned into a greed thing.

No, not the advanced version, although Cobb said I could upgrade if I wanted to. But using Enginuity to supplement works well. If the advanced version of ST is just additional tables, then it will be pretty much on par with the Enginuity definitions now (which I've been developing as of late). There's not too many more tables that you would need for tuning in these definitions, although I'm looking for the boost low speed multiplier and initial IAM that Cobb includes for the DBW ecus.

I think the shareware thing was not unexpected - Ecuedit always had the 60 second delay for log linking, map comparing, and saving with the message "wait for final release".

Once realtime tuning becomes a reality with the openecu tools (and not something I have to pay for), I'll probably sell the ST. It's just fun to mess around with for now. :wink:
Tea cups

Postby epifan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:04 am

Tea cups wrote:Enginuity's current definition file is complete and accurate with support for over 80 revisions.

:lol: Use xmlwrite generated XML-s for a lot of more then 80 ECU's revisions. They are correct and accurate, bc they are from E**tek :lol:

Tea cups wrote:So, for $200 I have realtime tuning, logging with wideband support, logging with live tracing/cursor and supplement the editing with Enginuity.

So, ecuEdit doit (or would do) for $120 :wink:
epifan

Postby swifty » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:08 am

I'm also having trouble logging load, ie can't get it to work at all, works fine in ecuexplorer.
swifty

Postby swifty » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:14 am

OK, so apart from the delays having been removed, what extra features are in the version for $120 ?
swifty

Postby epifan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:18 am

swifty wrote:I'm also having trouble logging load, ie can't get it to work at all, works fine in ecuexplorer.

All addresses in XML. You may check it. I'm also would try to find problem.
epifan

Postby epifan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:20 am

swifty wrote:OK, so apart from the delays having been removed, what extra features are in the version for $120 ?

Full version = Logger version + Editor Version.
no extra features, today :wink:
epifan

Postby Tea cups » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:44 am

epifan wrote: :lol: Use xmlwrite generated XML-s for a lot of more then 80 ECU's revisions. They are correct and accurate, bc they are from E**tek :lol:

Yeah, I figured as much since the table names are identical letter for letter to the Ecutek screenshots I've seen. Did "tinywrex" work for Ecutek before or he is really good friends with a tuner who has Ecutek? I noticed there's no permanent link for xmlwrite anymore - maybe Ecutek put the hurt down on someone?

The reason to use Enginuity, besides the fact that I'm a little biased, is the ability to use standard ("American") or metric definitions (each are available for download), have everything categorized nicely, plus a few extras like check box cel disabling and checksum fixes and I've found a few tables that aren't supported in xmlwrite. Also, there are newer revisions that are supported by Enginuity but not xmlwrite. Xmlwrite is good, though, and always something to consider, especially if you are looking for an obscure table. You can always modify the xml to support different categories and units in ecuedit, but a lot of people want something that works right out of the box. Plus, if a revision is not supported by Enginuity you can post up your rom to the Enginuity site and if I can, I'll add support for it in the next revision.

Don't get me wrong, Ecuedit has more features than Enginuity right now, but you will see additional features added in later Enginuity releases, such as logging, definition editing from the interface, reading/flashing and a few features such as multiple units where you could choose what type of units you want - such as engine load in grams, grams/rev, or grams/sec.
Tea cups

Postby Freon » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:53 am

epifan wrote:
Tea cups wrote:So, for $200 I have realtime tuning, logging with wideband support, logging with live tracing/cursor and supplement the editing with Enginuity.

So, ecuEdit doit (or would do) for $120 :wink:

So when is wideband logging support being added? LC1? AEM? etc?
Freon

Postby epifan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:00 am

Freon wrote:So when is wideband logging support being added? LC1? AEM? etc?

I'm order my LC-1 two weeks ago, and it's not arrive yet :( Innovate wideband would be supported 1st.
epifan

Postby Tea cups » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:10 am

Freon wrote:So, ecuEdit doit (or would do) for $120 :wink:

Not real-time tuning or mapping, which is huge. It is also nice to not have to lug my laptop out to my car to load a new map. I also specifically like the fact that I can view the fine ignition corrections being done by the ECU. When I get my laptop fixed, hopefully I can figure out where in the RAM these are located and maybe create an XML to read this from a ram download (using Ecuquery on Ecuexplorer).

Besides, I can sell the Streettuner at any time for at least $150.

To each his own, but I thought the original "spirit" of this whole project was to create something free for the community. I don't criticize anyone from making a buck, though, as this is America after all, so I wish Epifan the best luck. Just thought I'd throw out some alternative to the community for those who are willing to spend cash on something.
Tea cups

Postby epifan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:12 am

Tea cups wrote:The reason to use Enginuity, besides the fact that I'm a little biased, is the ability to use standard ("American") or metric definitions (each are available for download), have everything categorized nicely, plus a few extras like check box cel disabling and checksum fixes and I've found a few tables that aren't supported in xmlwrite. Also, there are newer revisions that are supported by Enginuity but not xmlwrite. Xmlwrite is good, though, and always something to consider, especially if you are looking for an obscure table. You can always modify the xml to support different categories and units in ecuedit, but a lot of people want something that works right out of the box.

Using Enginuity or not - it's your right. Metric system in xmlwrite? so, it's not a big deal. Logger in ecuEdit simple converting values from one metric to another. It's too simple include this support for maps.
And, ecuEdit also support checksums (much early than Enginuity).

Tea cups wrote:Plus, if a revision is not supported by Enginuity you can post up your rom to the Enginuity site and if I can, I'll add support for it in the next revision.

What prevent to you (someone else) do it on ecuedit site?

Tea cups wrote:Don't get me wrong, Ecuedit has more features than Enginuity right now, but you will see additional features added in later Enginuity releases, such as logging, definition editing from the interface, reading/flashing and a few features such as multiple units where you could choose what type of units you want - such as engine load in grams, grams/rev, or grams/sec.

I'm many times from many peoples, including that community, heard about their plans to adding some features, etc. But that not comes true, yet. May be I'm wrong. So, goodluck
epifan

Postby epifan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:15 am

Tea cups wrote:Not real-time tuning or mapping, which is huge. It is also nice to not have to lug my laptop out to my car to load a new map. I also specifically like the fact that I can view the fine ignition corrections being done by the ECU. When I get my laptop fixed, hopefully I can figure out where in the RAM these are located and maybe create an XML to read this from a ram download (using Ecuquery on Ecuexplorer).

You don't know about ecuEdit feature functionality :wink: I'm spend much time to prepare ecuEdit for shareware. So, this step is done. Now development is in progress.
epifan

Postby Tea cups » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:56 am

epifan wrote:What prevent to you (someone else) do it on ecuedit site?
The whole reason I started doing it is because I thought it was cool what you could do with just an $80 cable and free software created by a bunch of enthuiasts who gave thier time for the community.

I really like Ecuedit, and I still use it, I just wish it was free or at least cheaper. I would probably buy a lifetime full license for $40-$50, but not $120. It might be a good deal for some, though, depending on what features are added in the future, like real-time tuning. But someone should come up with a more user-friendly xml definitions set to be included at that price. Xmlwrite's link has been taken off the official thread and it is only available on another user's server. If I were you, I would at least create as many definitions with XMLwrite as you can and include it with your software. Most users have trouble just using Xmlwrite, let alone editing definitions for different units, etc.

Anyway, it wasn't my intention to turn anyone away from your product. I wish you the best of luck.
Tea cups

Postby swifty » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:12 am

Epifan

Please can you tell us all what is on the list for development.

If we pay $120 for your software now do we get free upgrades when the new features come out ?

Do you plan to charge extra over and above the $120 for any of the new features you are planning ?
swifty

PreviousNext

Return to Data Logging Software