Digital dash I started working on

User topics relating to software that logs data from ECUs

Moderator: Freon

I wish I knew about this sooner.

Postby ardinos » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:09 am

Wow, I've had a PC in my car for 6+ years over 3 different cars and always wished for a digital dash but never had the $700 to cough up. I resigned myself to data logging and that's it, this is awesome. I'm going to try to get it working in my car today, keep up the good work, this is exactly what the doctor ordered.
ardinos

Postby neutronium » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:38 am

Hope it works well for you. Let me know if you have problems. Summer classes are finally over today so after I sleep for about a week I might actually have a chance to get some work done on this.
neutronium

New Version

Postby S2KMR » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:33 am

any update? :D
S2KMR

Postby Mr. Evo IX » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:07 pm

will this work for the DBW models like the 06 STI? Will it work with the open port 1.3 cable? Mine is USB.. how do I find out what com port it is?
Mr. Evo IX

Postby neutronium » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've made some pretty good progress in the little time I've had to work on this. I'm adding some new types of displays and working on implementing everything requested. Hopefully I'll have something out soon ( a week maybe).

As for working on DBW cars you'll just have to try :). I would imagine it should work though. If it doesn't let me know and I'll try to figure out why.
neutronium

Postby neutronium » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:53 pm

OK, a little more detail. I've added a parameter to display boost in bar as requested, still working on a better solution for unit conversion but at least you have the option now. I've also added Injector pulse/ duty cycle as requested. At some point I'll stop being lazy and add all of the parameters, it's not hard just tedious and I'd rather spend the little time I have to work on this on adding new, cool features. If there's a parameter you really want just let me know and I'll add it right away.

I've also added two new display types. I've added max and min labels which work like the old labels but display the maximum or minimum of a parameter. The other display type switches between two images when a parameter goes above or below a certain value (ie. warning and shift lights). You can also now configure display layering, ie. which displays are drawn on top of other displays.

A given parameter can also have multiple displays attached to it now. So for example you can have your standard boost gauge but also peak boost labels and an overboost warning light all running at the same time.

I think that's pretty much it for now. I'll probably release this much after I whip up a skin to show off the new features.

Some other things I'm working on right now:

--Ability to change fonts.
--More display types (I'm thinking some kind of line graph, any other suggestions?)
--A menu system for things such as switching skins and comports (Still trying to think of a touchscreen-friendly way of activating it).
--Configurable transparency (ability to turn it off and choose which color is transparent).
--Other stuff I can't remember right now :).

and most importantly:
--Your requests (Come on guys, give me some good ideas :) ).
neutronium

Postby neutronium » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:05 pm

OK, here's some shots of the new features. You can see the shift light off in one pic and on in the other. This happens when RPMs go over 6k. You can also see the maximum boost reached displayed on the boost gauge and min and max values for knock correction displayed above the bar. I made this in like 15 minutes so be gentle :)

I've also tweaked the repainting code a bit so this version actually runs faster than the old version.
Attachments
lighton.jpg
lighton.jpg (67.42 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
lightoff.jpg
lightoff.jpg (66.25 KiB) Viewed 9351 times
neutronium

Postby LGT+WRX » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:52 pm

I'm very new to all of this - just wanted to pop in and say, first of all, thanks, neutronium, for this awesome tool. :)

Next, a question...

I downloaded the file on page 1, and I think I've gotten it to the point where it's gonna work (went through the various sub-program installation routines detailed on page 4, and also changed IAM address to match that of my ECU) tomorrow AM when I hook it up to my '05 Legacy 2.5GT (USDM 5MT).

So if I'm reading the last two posts above correctly, neutronium, the last two pictured screen-shots are not yet available for download as an active digital dash, correct? You're just giving us an idea of what's to come, right?

Thanks again!

-A
LGT+WRX

Postby neutronium » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:21 am

Yep, that's right. I should have the new version out in the next couple days though. Hope you like it. Let me know if you have any problems.
neutronium

Postby jackyyuen » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm

Hi Neutronium,

I have been waiting for the new version. Thanks for all your hard work.

I really love the "Shift Light Function"

Suggestion
"Shift Light" can adj. from 6000RPM
Fuel consumption

Thanks
jackyyuen

Postby neutronium » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:16 pm

Oh yeah, you can definitely change it from 6000 rpms or into an overboost light or whatever you want. It will also display any image you want.

Sorry about not releasing anything, I came up with some new features I wanted to add and I've been working on those. I'll try to get a version out this weekend that at least has those features you see in the shots I posted.
neutronium

Postby Blindstuff » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:11 pm

Where do i download the newest version from? :lol:
Blindstuff

Postby neutronium » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:14 am

OK, I couldn't keep you guys waiting any longer so I uploaded a snapshot build while I work on new features. It's basically the one I posted screenshots of a few posts ago. Just check out the new Demo skin for examples of the new features. I haven't actually tested this build in my car but it should work. Let me know if it doesn't.

I'm actively working on some cool new features so expect another update before too long.
neutronium

Postby xerxes » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:59 pm

Awesome stuff. What is the min cpu requirement? Thinking of getting a second hand notebook for this :)
xerxes

Postby neutronium » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:09 pm

I can't say exactly but my old car PC was a duron 900 and the old version used somewhere around 40% of the cpu with 3 analogue style gauges. This newer version should be slightly faster.

Really the only thing that uses any significant cpu power is the analogue style gauges so you can reduce the cpu usage by making them smaller or using fewer of them.
neutronium

PreviousNext

Return to Data Logging Software