Digital dash I started working on

User topics relating to software that logs data from ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Postby neutronium » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:23 pm

Well, I decided just to upload what I had now so you guys would at least have something to use. You can find the new version attached to the first post in this thread. This version has been working just fine in my car and it's pretty much completely skinnable but it does have some limitations. For one only the following parameters are currently supported: Air/Fuel Correction 1, Coolant Temperature, Exhaust Gas Temperature, Advance Multiplier, Intake Air Temperature, Ignition Timing, Knock Correction, Mass Air Flow, Boost, Wastegate duty cycle, RPM, Speed, and Throttle. And among those only the ones you see in use in the default skins have really been tested. Also maximum and minimum value labels are gone from this release as well as bar gauges that change color based on value, these will be back however. The menu is also gone, as it really doesn't have a use currently with the new skin system.

This release has a new skin system and an .exe wrapper so the setup is different. You will need to edit the files skin and port before running the program. These are basic text files but I suggest wordpad over notepad as notepad seems to lose java's formatting. Port obviosly is the comport your car is connected to (COM3 for example) and skin corresponds to the name of the folder in the Skins that contains the skin you wish to use. The two included are default (which is similar to the skin from the last version) and rrcfx (which is some I quickly whipped up to match the CFX skin for Road Runner).

The format of the skins is pretty simple. All of the files besides the images are simple text files. If you wish to make a skin you must have the following files:

param.txt: this is a listing of all the parameters you wish your skin to display separated by a space. You can check the ecuparam.xml file in the conf directory for the code for each parameter. It is the last part of the <handler> section.

gauges: this is a list of all the files describing the displays in your skin separated by a semicolon (I'll standardize the files later). The names can be anything but they must match the filenames.

labels: this is a list of all the text labels you want on your skin. The format is: Text, X-coordinate Y-coordinate, Font size, Red Green Blue

frame: this contains three lines decribing the current state of the programs window. Size, whether a window border should be drawn, and whether the programs should start maximized.

You then need to make a file for each gauge you wish displayed. The three types of gauges are bar, num, and dial. I suggest you just copy the files for the gauges in my skins and edit them so you'll have all the needed values.

The program will overwrite the position values of all your gauges and labels on program close if you've moved them so I suggest you keep a backup of your skin.

Your background image needs to be named bg.jpg but I don't think it acutally has to be a jpg. That name is just hard coded in this version. It also shouldn't matter what size the image is, it should just be streched to the window size.

I also suggest you use PNGs for any dial gauges as transparency doesn't work as well with JPGs. Pure black (0 0 0) is also treated as transparent in any dial gauges. In future versions you'll be able to pick which color you'd like to be transparent.

That's the basics let me know if you have any questions. here's a shot of the rrcfx skin embedded in Road Runner:

hope you guys like it.

Again, just ignore the values in the pic. They're just random values for testing.
Last edited by neutronium on Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neutronium

Postby cboles » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:12 pm

That looks great!
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Jeramie » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:32 am

It does look good.
Jeramie

Postby ahlek » Tue May 02, 2006 6:55 am

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. Just wondering what do I need to run this ext. rar file that I have just downloaded? :oops:
ahlek

Postby Jeramie » Tue May 02, 2006 7:28 am

Winrar (www.rarsoft.com) or winzip (winzip.com) both should work fine.
Jeramie

Postby ahlek » Tue May 02, 2006 6:21 pm

Jeramie wrote:Winrar (www.rarsoft.com) or winzip (winzip.com) both should work fine.

Hey thanks. So I simply extract the files and connect my PC via ECU cable to my car and the system should run right? I know this is over simplication of the matter but I will try and find out more.

Currently I'm using Ecuexplorer but looking for something that has greater graphical presentation of the data so that I can view the ecu reading while driving, almost like Defi gauges.
ahlek

Postby Jeramie » Wed May 03, 2006 4:44 am

To be prefectly honesty this project started then there wasn't much work on it for a while so I never got around to trying it. :oops:
Jeramie

Postby wetwilly » Sun May 28, 2006 6:55 pm

I finally set up a skin for this program, but it seems that I did something wrong. The default skin works OK, but when I use mine, I get the initial values displayed for the parameters I select, but then they won't update. Is there a limit in the number of parameters you can monitor?
wetwilly

Postby neutronium » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:33 pm

Yeah, I haven't really tested the skinning very much. Why don't you just post or send me what you have and I'll try to figure out why it's not working.
neutronium

Postby wetwilly » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:40 pm

OK I attached my skin files. Thanks for taking a look.
Attachments
MySkin.zip
(12.94 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
wetwilly

Postby 300477 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:20 am

Anyone have any idea how i would build something similar or modify this to read the outputs from an autronic SM4 via its serial cable.

Autronic have their own virtual dash, but im really after something that looks just like what you have done here.

Any help or thoughts would be appriciated

Cheers

Shane

Postby bluesubaru » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:45 pm

I can't get this to work. I changed the com port to com3. But I don't get any values displayed. My setup works fine with ECUexplorer. Is the anything else that needs to be configured?
bluesubaru

Postby prohan » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:27 pm

Yeah I'm having the same problem. I'm on COM1 and it works with ecuexplorer, but not scoobyview.
prohan

Postby Pecosdude » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:58 pm

For those of you that can't get get this to work, please read the first page.

I used to have the same problem, but after re-reading the first page I know why. You need to install some additional stuff to get this to work.

To the Author, neutronium, thank you for this wonderful software.
(It also function as a conversation starter)

I have a suggestion, is it possible to implement a live fuel comsumption monitor?
Pivot is selling one;
http://www.e-drive.org/product/e-nenpi/e-nenpi-e.html

but after reading their implementation method of getting the fuel consumption, I think that it is possible for the Digital Dash to also display one.

Anyway, thanks again for your work.
Pecosdude

Postby bluesubaru » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:03 am

I reread the first page, but the only other stuff that it lists to install is the RXTX package, which is now included in the latest release.
bluesubaru

PreviousNext

Return to Data Logging Software