My logger

User topics relating to software that logs data from ECUs

Moderator: Freon

My logger

Postby cdvma » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:59 pm

I've had a software project going on for a long time in the past called "zutec" which was a frontend to UTEC data logging and evolved into map editing but I abandoned it due to it being slow. I have re-written the framework in C# using the .NET 2.0 framework and made it more abstract.

Basically it can log from any number of data sources and merge the data so it is all synchronized. It supports plugins for ANY data source (irrespective of sample rate or capture type) as well as plugin support for data analysis. For example I have a plugin to acquire UTEC and Subaru Select 2 data as well as a data analysis plugin to draw real-time graphs (user configurable). Here is a screenshot with RPM and injector duty cycle being grabbed from the UTEC and the rest from the stock ECU (I never toggle the defog switch):

Excuse the poor image quality, I'm trying to save space on the host. What you can't see is that the graphs scroll (they don't crunch) and in the background I have a plugin for CSV file logging. While not all parameters are graphed, they are all logged.

The project is in late beta states and so far appears to be very promising. The architecture is very scalable and is infinitely hackable. I've got a few random other plugins (not visible) that do things like calculate MPG averages, audio or visual alerts ect. Basically you could say its like deltadash (its possible to write in a torque calculator plugin...aka road dyno ect) but different in its own right in that you can actually acquire your own sources and not just SSP2.

I don't know how I plan to distribute the software. Its taken quite some effort to develop and it really will kick too much ass to give away. I'll keep this thread updated as I progress.

So what are your initial impressions? Do you like the idea/would you use it/would you pay (very cheap) for it?
cdvma

Re: My logger

Postby megafrenzy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:35 am

Personally in an ideal world, I'm looking for something that does the following:

1. Software like DeltaDash or DigiMoto with graphic display of engine data, including XY Plots, Analog gauge and digital readouts as well as advanced calculation of MPG, torque & HP estimates, etc.
2. Skinable to allow it to be customized and allow it to work with in-car front ends like FrodoPlayer or RoadRunner
3. Uses SSM at highest baud rate
4. Readable on a 7" widescreen LCD
5. Touchscreen friendly (more and big buttons, less menus)

I would pay up to $200 for this.

By the way, I also build and sell an in-dash LCD kit for Subarus (mechatroniks.com) and I know there is a way bigger market for this software for people who don't really care so much about engine performance as they do about having engine data nicely displayed on their computer screen.
megafrenzy

Postby cdvma » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:05 pm

1. Eventually it will evolve to this. Analog gauges I've done in the past and digital readouts are very easy. MPG I'm working on, I think I've found a very reliable way of calculating it but its car specific. I can play around with torque calculations later.

2. Skinable would be a real last priority but its a good idea I had not considered.

3. SSM at a high baud rate is part of the plugin. As soon as a response from the ECU arrives, another request goes out.

4. I have a navigation headunit that has an auxiliary input, I was definitely going to write a plugin that emulates the DD dashboard feature. I thought about even using the same file format so that you can just use the same configurations but I don't know how mad ECUTek would be about that.

5. YES for sure. The beauty is that you don't have to use the plugins that you see above but rather one that is designed for a 7" screen. Other possibilities are two versions of the software, one with a slightly different interface.

I appreciate the input.
cdvma

Postby qoncept » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:25 am

That's a project I'd been planning on working on before, though I was planning on using OBD-II (I hadn't heard of SSM). It'd be great to have, though I don't think you'd have much luck selling it unless you could make it pretty. Most people interested in it as-is have the ability to write it themselves, and even if they don't go through with it, it'd have them thinking "I could do that, so I don't want to pay for it." Being skinnable (and having a good selection of packaged skins) would open up the market quite a bit I would think. Also, offering information on getting a touchscreen in the car would help make the target audience bigger.
qoncept

Postby cdvma » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:02 am

I know that there are free SSM loggers out there (they are pretty limited right now) but I imagine that there will be more in number and more advanced offerings. It won't be easy to compete with free. What about offering tiers of my logger say a free version thats limited, a more capable version thats cheap, and a really powerful version for a bit more?

I would LOVE to be able to offer this for free but designing software and hardware in my spare time is my income (college student). Also keep in mind when I say cheap...I mean CHEAP for what it can do.

However I disagree that people who are capable of writing a similar logger will end up doing so instead of downloading or purchasing something similar. The amount of hours spent developing it wouldn't be worth it.

Skins seems to be a popular request, I'll have to give them a second thought in the priority list.
cdvma

Postby qoncept » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:16 am

cdvma wrote:However I disagree that people who are capable of writing a similar logger will end up doing so instead of downloading or purchasing something similar. The amount of hours spent developing it wouldn't be worth it.

Skins seems to be a popular request, I'll have to give them a second thought in the priority list.

I think that came out wrong. I meant that the people capable of writing it will say "neh, I don't want to buy that, I could do it.." whether or not they actually get around to doing it.

I really think you have 2 markets to look at, 1 being those of us on this forum, interested in the performance almost exclusively, and the larger, people more interested in some pretty gauges to look at than using the software to it's full potential.
qoncept

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:21 pm

I assume you already have a module for the Zeitronix?

sounds cool chris

if you added mixture charts that would bee cool.
Hitokiri

Postby richip » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:12 pm

I write free and open source software, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone trying to make money selling their service at software development. In fact, I'd encourage you and offer my best wishes.

May I suggest you release a simple logger and accept bounties for feature requests. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a PayPal button on your website (if you put one up) with a "Donations appreciated" sign next to it, ;).
richip

Postby cdvma » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:02 pm

Hitokiri wrote:I assume you already have a module for the Zeitronix?

sounds cool chris

if you added mixture charts that would bee cool.

I'll write a plugin for the Zeitronix units after I finish it. I've got a few plugins already for developing major features so I'll wait until the dev stuff is out of the way. Its a simple plugin anyway so its low priority for now.

Mixture charts? Like a user-selectable two dimensional chart?

richip wrote:I write free and open source software, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone trying to make money selling their service at software development. In fact, I'd encourage you and offer my best wishes.

May I suggest you release a simple logger and accept bounties for feature requests. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a PayPal button on your website (if you put one up) with a "Donations appreciated" sign next to it, ;).

I've been leaning to the simple donation-ware. I've written too many free and open source projects to "make the mistake" again. Basically I've got soo much attention from a few projects that I can't afford to put the effort into customer support ect without monetary reimbursement. A website will definitely be active before release of the product.
cdvma

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:51 pm

yeah basically like a definable xy plot. There are two types of mixture maps that would be sweet to have.

one is a simple xy plot like this one from Motec M800 ecu:

another is a afr overlay over load sites in the fuel map. which is a little harder to implement
Hitokiri

Postby cdvma » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:11 am

Yea that mixture map I can do.

AFR overlay on a map would be specific to a plugin as there is no generic way to implement that (well, easily and sane). I did this in the java version when the program was really UTEC specific. I'd definitely consider this again but I had reserves about the last version I did. Basically, by planting an AFR over a load site its saying "this AFR came from this cell" which isn't true at all. The UTEC now interpolates horizontally as well as vertically and depending on the location of the O2 sensor in the downpipe it could be delayed a log line or two. People suggested target AFR maps and things like that but the problem is that the same people (which makes the majority) listen to what the logging system says without question or though process and make changes without understanding why.

Thanks for the input guys this is great.
cdvma

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:54 pm

chris I coun't agree more about the overlay and people reading it wrong.

thats why I like the motec version. you can set a delay and have multiple load sites in there. You have to be just as smart while you are taking logs though as when you are tuning from them, i agree completely
Hitokiri

Postby cdvma » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:34 pm

http://project802.net/logger.php

OK guys I'm going to release it here and on WRX Hackers for the weekend and if it tests out OK I'll post it on NASIOC for more beating. I'll release more info and write documentation, stuff like that, in the upcoming weeks.

Please give it a try and let me know your impressions! Please note that you need to download the .NET runtime!
cdvma

Postby cdvma » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:02 am

Has anyone tried it yet?
cdvma

Postby wetwilly » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:09 pm

cdvma wrote:Has anyone tried it yet?

Hey Chris,
I downloaded and installed tonight. That went smooth. It starts up OK and appears to be connecting with my ecu. Will try it out on the drive to work tomorrow and let you know.
wetwilly

Next

Return to Data Logging Software