My logger

User topics relating to software that logs data from ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Postby qoncept » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:44 am

cdvma, I tried it and couldn't get it to connect to the ecu. It seemed it wasn't storing the com port I chose at all. Should it save it when you close the program and open it again? Every time I opened it it'd be set to COM1, and COM3 and 4 would also be present.
qoncept

Postby wetwilly » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:15 am

OK, I ran the program on the drive to work this morning. I selected auto-connect and it connected to the ecu OK. The graph display appeared to be displaying proper values for various items and was updating decently (maybe half a second lag from real-time). I was reading between 100 and 200 ms on the status bar - I assumed that was the update rate.

The dashboard display wasn't so great. It looks nice but the needles didn't move smoothly and the displayed values for boost lagged by several seconds. It was hard to tell if the displayed values for boost were accurate, but the IAT looked OK since it didn't vary much and seemed to be correct. I didn't know what TPS was (throttle position sensor??), so couldn't tell if that was accurate.

I also got several error messages while running, which would then dump the program. One appeared as soon as I went WOT to see if I could get the boost needle to move. Maybe due to increased updates overwhelming the comm port? Then after running for several minutes OK, while displaying the graphs, the program froze up which also froze my PC and had to reboot.

I'm running on an EPIA M9000, 512M ram, with a 7 inch LCD indash. The display definitely needs to be skinnable to be easily visible on a display that size. I was running one other program at the time, playing MP3s. I probably should have turned it off while testing, but this is how I would use the program.
wetwilly

Postby cdvma » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:58 am

qoncept,

Yes it should save the COM port. I'll look into this.

wetwilly wrote:The dashboard display wasn't so great. It looks nice but the needles didn't move smoothly and the displayed values for boost lagged by several seconds. It was hard to tell if the displayed values for boost were accurate, but the IAT looked OK since it didn't vary much and seemed to be correct. I didn't know what TPS was (throttle position sensor??), so couldn't tell if that was accurate.

With a 100ms to 200ms refresh the dashboard will definitely be noticeably laggy. It will also speed up if you disable graphing since you are freeing up some CPU time.

I also got several error messages while running, which would then dump the program. One appeared as soon as I went WOT to see if I could get the boost needle to move. Maybe due to increased updates overwhelming the comm port? Then after running for several minutes OK, while displaying the graphs, the program froze up which also froze my PC and had to reboot.

Interesting....someone said they had trouble while stoping and restarting logs could that be it?

I'm running on an EPIA M9000, 512M ram, with a 7 inch LCD indash. The display definitely needs to be skinnable to be easily visible on a display that size. I was running one other program at the time, playing MP3s. I probably should have turned it off while testing, but this is how I would use the program.

What resolution do you run at? I'm assuming most people with the 7" LCD run at 800x600?
cdvma

Postby wetwilly » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:31 pm

OK didn't know about disabling graphing. That sped up the dashboard dials a lot, but they are still jerky. Maybe you could add some smoothing routine.

I run 800x600 on my 7 in lcd.

I wasn't starting or stopping logs when the errors occurred.

Can the dashboard dials be changed to display different parameters?
wetwilly

Postby cdvma » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:37 pm

wetwilly wrote:OK didn't know about disabling graphing. That sped up the dashboard dials a lot, but they are still jerky. Maybe you could add some smoothing routine.

I run 800x600 on my 7 in lcd.

I wasn't starting or stopping logs when the errors occurred.

Can the dashboard dials be changed to display different parameters?

Smoothing is something that will be implemented. This is just a test version to get ideas out there and evolve them. The dials will be user customizeable but for the purposes of test I made them static. They are dynamically drawn right now and are first versions of the code - there are definite speed improvements to be made.
cdvma

Postby wetwilly » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:59 am

Looks good so far. I am primarily interested in a dashboard display, so I'll look forward to the customizable dials with fast and smooth motions. IMO the live graphs are not really useful while driving - I would rather create graphs from the logs afterwards. Otherwise good job.
wetwilly

Postby wetwilly » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:28 am

Any update on this program? It seemed to work OK.
wetwilly

Postby cdvma » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:54 pm

Yep I'm still making some improvements/fixes/additions. I'll have CEv2 out in a bit (next couple of weeks?).
cdvma

Postby wetwilly » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:58 am

bump for an update?
wetwilly

Postby cdvma » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:36 am

I haven't really touched it much. School and work are priorities, I haven't got really any room for this. I will get to it eventually, its not a lost project.
cdvma

Previous

Return to Data Logging Software