Backing up Cobb StreetTuner image

User topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Backing up Cobb StreetTuner image

Postby UpPweez » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:36 am

Hola

I have my flamesuit on. I want to know if I can use ECUFlash to backup my Cobb StreetTuner image and then reflash my own custom DIY image (created through Enginuity). Later, if I want to convert back over to StreetTuner - can I just reflash that backup image and have full streettuner connectivity again? This seems pretty much a no brainer but I wanted to get the experts to confirm it before I try it.
UpPweez

Postby UpPweez » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:37 am

Also wanted to mention that I have successfully backed up the ST image. That went flawlessly using ECUFlash.

Just curious if I can wipe my ECU with a custom DIY image, and then at a later point reflash this back to my ECU to have ST functionality again. Simply put, I want to evaluate the DIY solution and make a decision as to sticking with ST or converting over to DIY.
UpPweez

Postby UpPweez » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:49 am

Any realtime maps remain in memory when you grab the base flash via ECUFlash. I thought that they might go away with the green connectors connected. They don't.
UpPweez

Postby Tea cups » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:57 am

Yes, you should be able to do this without issue. Reading will not erase your real-time maps, but writing will. Why not just edit the streettuner map with the openecu tools, instead of flashing another revision? That is what I do.
Tea cups

Postby UpPweez » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:44 am

It was my understanding that you cannot edit Streettuner maps with OpenECU tools?
UpPweez

Postby Tea cups » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:03 am

You're not editing the streettuner file. You are editing the rom you downloaded with ecuflash. Because it will only change the tuning data you specify and not overwrite Cobb's programming logic, it will not affect the streettuner setup.
Tea cups

Postby UpPweez » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:36 am

Tea cups wrote:You're not editing the streettuner file. You are editing the rom you downloaded with ecuflash. Because it will only change the tuning data you specify and not overwrite Cobb's programming logic, it will not affect the streettuner setup.

I understand that. I thought that Cobb changes the locations?? I just tried to load the .hex in enginuity and ecuedit and the ecu type is not known.
UpPweez

Postby Tea cups » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:09 pm

Nope - it works. What is your revision?
Tea cups

Postby UpPweez » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:48 pm

Awesome. I was using 3.0beta. I downloaded 3.1 beta and it loaded right up. No problems. Thanks again. Really appreciate it.

Any idea about the checksum fix? I guess Cobb doesn't use the Checksum fix and that they have another way? It is not enabled in my Streettuner image.
UpPweez

Postby Freon » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:04 pm

Just fair warning, it seems like Cobb intends to lock out reading Cobb flashed ECUs in future versions of their hardware and/or software. Ecutek already does this.
Freon

Return to Reflashing Software