WRX: Per Gear Wastegate Compensation

User topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Postby Tea cups » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:37 am

Well that's good news. As long as I can flash it back, I think I'll be fine. I'll take it slow and see what CELs come up and probalby turn off the boost control at first.
Tea cups

Postby Tea cups » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:47 pm

OK, I just flashed the EDM 03 WRX A4TE100G onto my USDM 02 WRX, in hopes of getting per gear wastegate and boost control. Ecuflash shows that the flash went fine, but the car will not start (cranks, but does not start). I get a CEL of P1572 -"IMM circuit failure - except antenna circuit". Ecuexplorer reads the ecu correctly as the Euro revision. Before I flashed, I made sure that such things as injector flow scaling, maf scaling, etc were identical to the USDM version, which they already were. I also changed base and correction timing and fuel to my current tune and turned off boost and wastegate control.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: I just flashed back to my old tune and the car runs fine, so flashing this particular combo does not create an unusable ECU, at least.
Tea cups

Postby xswrex » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:27 pm

guys this is not going to work. You are mixing completely different hardware with completely different software.
Hint: If that was possible then accesport would work on non-US cars :wink:
xswrex

Postby calvinc » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:36 pm

guys this is not going to work. You are mixing completely different hardware with completely different software.
Hint: If that was possible then accesport would work on non-US cars
i think its pretty obvious that you cannot flash a DBW rom onto a DBC ECU.

calvin.
calvinc

Postby Tea cups » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:23 am

xswrex wrote:guys this is not going to work. You are mixing completely different hardware with completely different software.
Hint: If that was possible then accesport would work on non-US cars :wink:

Isn't the ECU hardware pretty much identical between an 02-03 EDM WRX and an 02-03 USDM WRX? It is just that the EDM apparently has additional sensor(s) added to the wiring harness? Are there any wiring diagrams out there for the EDM ecus?
Tea cups

Postby JRSCCivic98 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:44 am

calvinc wrote:i think its pretty obvious that you cannot flash a DBW rom onto a DBC ECU.

calvin.

05 EDM WRX is not DBW. Tea Cups, how come you didn't try the 05 ROM? From what I've seen in the ROM it's very close to what our 02-03 WRXs are. I don't think they switched hardware for the 04-05 models in Europe like they did here in the US.
JRSCCivic98

Postby Tea cups » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:21 am

JRSCCivic98 wrote:
calvinc wrote:i think its pretty obvious that you cannot flash a DBW rom onto a DBC ECU.

calvin.

05 EDM WRX is not DBW. Tea Cups, how come you didn't try the 05 ROM? From what I've seen in the ROM it's very close to what our 02-03 WRXs are. I don't think they switched hardware for the 04-05 models in Europe like they did here in the US.

I just figured I would have the best chance with the 03 EDM WRX, being the closest in year to my car with the per gear compensations. The EDM 01/02 WRX revisions A4SE700D/A4SE900D are even a better match to our bugeyes, but do not have per gear compensation. I haven't looked at the A4TE300D too closely but it appears to be similar to the A4TE100G that I just flashed. I might try flashing it just for the heck of it.

I also looked at the ADM/SA revisions, but they are pretty much renamed EDM revisions, for the most part.
Tea cups

Postby Jon [in CT] » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:30 am

calvinc wrote:
Hint: If that was possible then accesport would work on non-US cars
i think its pretty obvious that you cannot flash a DBW rom onto a DBC ECU.

calvin.
The P1572 trouble code is for Subaru's immobilizer system, which didn't appear in any North American models until the MY2005 STI and Legacy GT. I doubt that DBW is a prerequisite for Subaru's immobilizer system. As far as I can tell, there are no MY2003 DBW Subarus anywhere in the world.
Jon [in CT]

Postby xswrex » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:45 am

Tea cups wrote:Isn't the ECU hardware pretty much identical between an 02-03 EDM WRX and an 02-03 USDM WRX? It is just that the EDM apparently has additional sensor(s) added to the wiring harness? Are there any wiring diagrams out there for the EDM ecus?

Pretty much identical is not valid. It is either identical or not :)

Let me put it this way, 1 sensor example:
USDM ecu/USDM rom : xyz sensor referenced by software at analog input 1
EDM ecu/EDM rom : same xyz sensor referenced by rom at analog input 2

Find me a combination that will work
xswrex

Postby Tea cups » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:13 am

xswrex wrote:
Tea cups wrote:Isn't the ECU hardware pretty much identical between an 02-03 EDM WRX and an 02-03 USDM WRX? It is just that the EDM apparently has additional sensor(s) added to the wiring harness? Are there any wiring diagrams out there for the EDM ecus?

Pretty much identical is not valid. It is either identical or not :)

Let me put it this way, 1 sensor example:
USDM ecu/USDM rom : xyz sensor referenced by software at analog input 1
EDM ecu/EDM rom : same xyz sensor referenced by rom at analog input 2

Find me a combination that will work

I noticed on my wiring harness that there are unused spots. I was hoping that the EDM used the same wiring harness as USDM and maybe added some extrra sensors in those open positions that weren't critical to engine operation, say emissions related, like the USDM 03 compared to the USDM 02. Then I could just disable the CEL. But you are saying that Subaru would swap sensor input around and use a different wiring harness for the EDM? I guess that was what I was trying to find out.

I'm guessing that if it is immobilizer, then there is no way around this.
Tea cups

Postby Jon [in CT] » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:51 am

Tea cups wrote:I'm guessing that if it is immobilizer, then there is no way around this.
There's almost certainly a single instruction which decides whether to let the engine run or not by testing a flag or variable value. All you have to do is find that instruction and change it. :P
Jon [in CT]

Postby Tea cups » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:08 pm

Jon [in CT] wrote:
Tea cups wrote:I'm guessing that if it is immobilizer, then there is no way around this.
There's almost certainly a single instruction which decides whether to let the engine run or not by testing a flag or variable value. All you have to do is find that instruction and change it. :P

If it is like the USDM DBW cars, isn't the immobilizer a separate module that stores the code in the ECU's RAM? And the ignition is cut by the immobilizer module and not the ECU? If not, then couldn't you just put an 04 sti ecu (non-immobilizer) in a 06 sti and it would start, or does it?
Tea cups

Postby Spiider » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:54 pm

As interesting as this thread is getting, I would caution you guys that if you try hard enough you will eventually find a combo that produces an unusable and unreflashable ecu. So, please be careful with your cars.

I only tried the JDM RAC rom because it appeared to be very similar to my AH581 JDM STi rom. (Just like Teacups experimenting.)

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who can't afford to replace their ecu on a moments notice and without warning. I was willing to take the chance and live with the consequences.
Spiider

Postby Spec C Wannabe » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:20 am

Ok Guys, I have exploited the Per Gear Boost and Wastegate successfully.

I've come to a conclusion that the gear ratios from 1st to 5th are oriented from Top to Bottom (EcuEdit) or Left to Right (Enginuity) respectively. Using the rule of elimination, I've figured this out by changing the top row of Per Gear Boost Comp. and Per Gear Wastegate Comp. to -99% while leaving the remaining cells to zero. At my several attempts, I monitored Primary Wastegate Duty of each gear and found out that this parameter became zero while those of other gears showed the expected activity of Boost Solenoid. :D

At the very first attempt, the experiment failed and showed no difference in Wastegate duty. Not giving up, I searched more and found another gear-related table called "Gear Comp Disable Speed". This table can only be found in EcuEdit using XMLwrite generated definition. The factory setting was 6 km/hr, so I guessed the Per Gear Boost and Wastegate Comp were disabled beyond this speed limit. I searched more into JDM STI and found out that this table was set at 250 Km/hr so I changed mine accordingly. Since then, these Per Gear Compensation function as they are supposed to :D

For those of you whose ECU have these features, be sure to raise the Gear Comp Disable Speed to the max. These features work very well with my car and now I'm very pleased with the result :D
Attachments
Gear Comp Disable Speed Table.JPG
see my setting
Gear Comp Disable Speed Table.JPG (129.28 KiB) Viewed 8989 times
Spec C Wannabe

Postby JRSCCivic98 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:27 am

Nice, now if we could only get this to work on US cars.
JRSCCivic98

PreviousNext

Return to Reflashing Software