Reflashing ECU for my WRX STI 2001

User topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Reflashing ECU for my WRX STI 2001

Postby bawse.c » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi,

I am completely new and do not know much about ECU reflashing. I was wondering if it is easy to reflash an ECU for my WRX STI 2001.

The problem is that I do not know which software it would need and also what extra gear I would need to buy. I was wondering if there is any way to reflash it without buying anything (except the wire connecting the laptop and the car).

Can anyone please lend me a helping hand with this project of mine???

Would appreciate if someone could list steps on how to do so (detail would be welcomed because I am a newbie)

Thanks so much in advance guys
bawse.c

Re: Reflashing ECU for my WRX STI 2001

Postby Wiretap » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:26 am

You will need an openport of some description, and I'm hoping this is a 2001 of the GDBA/GGBA variety, not a late MY00 (GC8G/GF8G) because those are not able to be reflashed yet.

You shouldn't need to buy any software as the vast majority of turbo ECUs (excepting twin-turbos, what a pain in the rear) are supported.

The basics you will need:
- Tactrix OpenPort (1.3 Subaru or 2.0 will do fine)
- Flash Block kit (unless you feel like making your own, easiers just to buy one) to suit your car.

Software:
- Get the latest ECUFlash, you'll need this to read and write to the ECU
- Get the latest RomRaider from romraider.com, you'll use this to edit the calibration.
- Get the appropriate definition files for both of the above from romraider.com

I would really recommend you have some experience in the risks involved in reflashing software, it's not like reinstalling your computer, you can render your ECU essentially useless if it goes wrong or you flash the wrong data. You can also destroy your engine if you use an inappropriate map for your setup.
Wiretap

Postby bawse.c » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Wiretap wrote:You will need an openport of some description, and I'm hoping this is a 2001 of the GDBA/GGBA variety, not a late MY00 (GC8G/GF8G) because those are not able to be reflashed yet.

You shouldn't need to buy any software as the vast majority of turbo ECUs (excepting twin-turbos, what a pain in the rear) are supported.

The basics you will need:
- Tactrix OpenPort (1.3 Subaru or 2.0 will do fine)
- Flash Block kit (unless you feel like making your own, easiers just to buy one) to suit your car.

Software:
- Get the latest ECUFlash, you'll need this to read and write to the ECU
- Get the latest RomRaider from romraider.com, you'll use this to edit the calibration.
- Get the appropriate definition files for both of the above from romraider.com

I would really recommend you have some experience in the risks involved in reflashing software, it's not like reinstalling your computer, you can render your ECU essentially useless if it goes wrong or you flash the wrong data. You can also destroy your engine if you use an inappropriate map for your setup.

Hi, I see you are located in Auckland and so am I.
do you have a number or email? I can contact you using that and get more information. I am actually looking to buy a WRX STI soon and reflash that. I currently have a WRX.
How much are those Flash Block kits etc
bawse.c

Postby Wiretap » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:27 pm

PM'd
Wiretap

Return to Reflashing Software