programming voltage out of range HELP PLEASE

User topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

programming voltage out of range HELP PLEASE

Postby bl0wn » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:28 pm

I have been searching all over many different forums and have read every post that seemes even remotely relevant and cannot figure this out. I have a soo4 wrx that i am trying to flash a new rom to. I have the green connector connected and the white connector plugged in. I am using a tactrix 2.0 cable and ecuflash.
When i test flash the rom it will finish and say that everything is fine but in the middle of the log it says that the programming voltage is 12.64 volts and then it says that the programming voltage is out of bounds. When i try to actually flash the rom it stops and the log says that the programming voltage is 12.64 and the programming voltage is out of bounds then it quits. It does not say anywhere that it is too low or too high.
I have not found any other people to have this problem a lot of people have the too low voltage problem but not this. I am getting quite frustrated and need help
Thanks in advance
bl0wn

Re: programming voltage out of range HELP PLEASE

Postby bl0wn » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:37 am

Bump for help
bl0wn

Postby radsdau » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:28 pm

Hmmm sounds like the OP2 cable is not generating the voltage correctly. As a hack, you could try putting a signal diode in series with the 12V VPP line to drop ~0.6 V, then see if it's happy (do a 'test write' first). (I think the white connector has this voltage on it). But don't come back to me if it doesn't work; it's just a thought.
radsdau

Postby Knifey » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:45 pm

I'm having the same issue. Has anyone figured this out yet? I don't want to have to modify circuitry to make the tool I just paid $170 for work...
Knifey

Postby parso_rex » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:14 am

I've just hit the 'too low' error - on my own car !!! after converting back from a standalone and I've been using the Openport on many cars now. It might be a totally different error but after a quick scour of the usual forums I saw that the Beta SW may be the culprit http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2073331
This could be the case as I've only recently upgraded things to continue using the logger and I just like updating stuff :)
I'll give it a test tomorrow and report back

My current version of EcuFlash is Version 1.43.3150

And I'll load 1.42.2595
I'm pretty sure it was handling the 16bit ecu on the previous Beta. I might just keep winding back to it works again

Cheers

Mark
parso_rex

Postby Knifey » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm running the latest stable version, not the beta. I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling. Always fails with 12.62 volts. Tactrix won't return emails or answer the phone.
Knifey

Postby Knifey » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:28 pm

I just tried the beta version. Test writes correctly without the voltage error. Should I try a real flash? Are there any known issues with the beta version nuking a '03 ECU?

I want to be SUPER careful because I know what the repercussions can be for jumping the gun on writing a map to your ECU...

I've done like 6 test flashes and everything looks ok.... but I'm not sure if that actually means everything will be ok in a real flash.
Knifey

Postby parso_rex » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:28 pm

I tried with the 1.42x sw and it still fails. It's giving me the same error with Ecuedit too so...
Firmware related ??? Or some perfectly valid wiring issue .
It's not the SW version for me and the later versions than 1.42 have improvements for this voltage related 16bit flash issue. I see the voltage error with the test write so I'd be thinking you are fine.
parso_rex

Postby Knifey » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:06 am

From what I've read, low voltage errors have something to do with the green test mode connectors and the flash mode pins not being jumped. Have you looked into this closely?
Knifey

Postby parso_rex » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:02 am

OK I see the out of range error now 12.62V etc.
The car enters its diagnostic test mode with the greens connected so thats working and the flash block is in place but I'm still yet to measure voltages at those two points. 3 weeks ago I was using the car to read and write to two other ECUs that I had lying around and I tried to write to one of them again, no luck this time - same error.
So its down to the OP2 or the wiring harness for my guess of the day
I will have a close look at the OP2 tonight. Looks Like I'll be buying another though, its served me well

Cheers Guys

Edit: Just ordered another one
parso_rex

Postby Knifey » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:29 am

So I thought the beta fixed the problem. It worked for one flash. After some data logging I'm seeing a little bit of knock, so I modified the map a bit and I went to flash it to my car. Same voltage error now, 12.62 volts out of range. It would appear I'm stuck with a potentially harmful map on my car, and I can't reflash my modified safer map. UGH!
Knifey

Postby jaxscuby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:15 am

i was reflashing 05 usdm wrx and it test wrote fine with voltage of 12.49.
but when i went write i got same high voltage error message.
and the ecu locked / bricked.

luckily i had spare 02 ecu to get my friend back home 2.5 hour drive from me.

this was with his 2.0 cable with ecuflash 1.42.2595

any insight?

tia
Ben
jaxscuby

Postby msgofast » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:04 pm

I see this issue in 5 out of 10cars with 16bit ecu, tried another cable and conectors, software updates, driver updates, nothing changes it, seems to be an issue with the 2.0, never saw this with earlier ones. The only trick i have worked out is to put lights on high beem soon as you have ign on, and try couple of times, also on the last 30-50mm of the line trying push the windows up to give it a moment drop in voltage, just needs to be 12.58volts, had some that were 12.66 volts, most are 12.6-12.62, PITA but only way i found to make things work, i beleive it is an issue with the 2.0 conectors.
msgofast

Return to Reflashing Software