Subaru boxer diesel

User topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Subaru boxer diesel

Postby Azrael » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:58 am

I tried reading from Forester boxer diesel yesterday. Subaru CAN protocol with Open Port 2.0 recogniseds ECU ID and kernel version but stops after that. Does anyone know if Ecuuflash will be able to read and flash these in future or are there any plans for this?
Azrael

Re: Subaru boxer diesel

Postby merchgod » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:01 pm

How experienced are you in using Ecuflash in pulling ROMs? Have you ever read another Subaru successfully with the laptop and cable that did not work for in trying to read the diesel Subaru?
merchgod

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:19 pm

I can do that well enough with other Subarus and Mitsubishis. I just had a car for couple of minutes, I know I should have saved connection log, but I didn't.
Azrael

Postby merchgod » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Ok, if you do get one again, take a pic of the outside of the case (or even better the inside).
merchgod

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:41 pm

merchgod wrote:Ok, if you do get one again, take a pic of the outside of the case (or even better the inside).

I have the picture of the ECU I will try to get it uploaded tommorow. It's Denso ECU.

By the way - it communicates with all SSM loggers I had installed, gives some crap (like throttle angle), but also good data like rpm, MAF data etc. I will try to get more data about it next time I have one.
Azrael

Postby Jon [in CT] » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:02 am

I expect that Subaru's current Denso diesel ECU uses a higher-speed processor than that used in current gasoline 32-bit ECUs, because it is necessary to perform fuel injection very precisely in order to minimize particulate and NOx emissions.

According to the article at http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20080222/147866/, Subaru's current diesel system uses 1,800 bar pressure common fuel rail and solenoid injectors. This appears to be the Denso 5 stage injection diesel system described in the 2003 article at http://www.densocorp-na.com/news/pr.php?Action=223. I've attached the two figures which go with that article.

In order to meet CARB emissions standards in the US, I expect that Subaru will adopt Denso's newer 2,000 bar pressure common fuel rail system with piezo injectors and 9 stage injection, described in the 2006 article at http://wardsauto.com/ar/denso_ecu_diesel/.

Close-up high-resolution pictures of the micro-processors on the ECU's circuit board are necessary in order to identify.
Attachments
DieselFig1.jpg
DieselFig1.jpg (66.78 KiB) Viewed 12223 times
DieselFig2.jpg
DieselFig2.jpg (39.32 KiB) Viewed 12222 times
Jon [in CT]

Postby Azrael » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:16 am

According to my information 3 generation injection system (as opposed to 2nd generation current one - according to marketing materials) is due to be introduced in the next model year cars.

I will have some pictures of the ECU posted soon, I will try to get pictures of the ECu board itself when we get to work on one of these.
Azrael

Re:

Postby merchgod » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:25 am

Jon [in CT] wrote:I expect that Subaru's current Denso diesel ECU uses a higher-speed processor than that used in current gasoline 32-bit ECUs, because it is necessary to perform fuel injection very precisely in order to minimize particulate and NOx emissions.

If that is true, it might be a good idea to start working on it now if it is going to be adopted by the gas models in the future. Probably, though, someone will have to send their ECU to Colby if that is something Colby wants to work on adding support for flashing. But first step, as Jon said, is to get some decent pics of the microcontroller.
merchgod

Re: Re:

Postby Azrael » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:34 am

merchgod wrote:
Jon [in CT] wrote:I expect that Subaru's current Denso diesel ECU uses a higher-speed processor than that used in current gasoline 32-bit ECUs, because it is necessary to perform fuel injection very precisely in order to minimize particulate and NOx emissions.

If that is true, it might be a good idea to start working on it now if it is going to be adopted by the gas models in the future. Probably, though, someone will have to send their ECU to Colby if that is something Colby wants to work on adding support for flashing. But first step, as Jon said, is to get some decent pics of the microcontroller.

I will try to help. Getting a ECU may be possible as well one one gets crashed. They sold more of them then of normal ones in 2008!!! This year when diesel Impreza comes out and Forester will be available for a complete year the numbers will turn even more to diesels.

If it can be flashd by SSM-III then it can't have that much different flashing method, can it?
Azrael

Postby Jon [in CT] » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:39 am

I think my speculation was wrong. I found a Denso presentation from 2006 at http://www.engine.net.cn/forumhistory/2006forum/DENSOe.pdf. It shows, on p. 11, that Denso's 2nd Gen diesel system uses a Renesas SH7058 MPU and that its 3rd Gen system will use a Renesas SH7058/59 MPU.
Jon [in CT]

Postby Azrael » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:45 am

DO you know what it means for OpenEcu support for these?
Azrael

Postby Azrael » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:02 am

I do not know if it helps at all but I found a tuner that says that they do these ECUs via OBD port together with other, here is a list, maybe it helps:

Subaru 2.0 Boxer diesel
Subaru Impreza STI and WRX
Nissan Nawara 2.5 DCi 144PS and174PS
Nissan Patfinder 2.5 DCi 174PS
Nissan Patrol GR 3.0 Di 160PS
Nissan Xtrial 2.2 DCi all models
Mitsubishi L200 2.5 DiD 115, 136, 170PS
Mitsubishi Pajero all models
Mitsubishi lancer all Evo
Mazda 3 5 6 all Diesels with Denso ECU
Isuzu D-max

He must be using the same tool to flash them.
Azrael

Return to Reflashing Software