Does ecuflash write the whole block or just the individual

User topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Does ecuflash write the whole block or just the individual

Postby LGT-3-6 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:59 pm

bytes that are different? It's obvious that it only does a fraction of the whole rom on an update, but I'm curious if I only edit one value am I only reducing the life of that value?

Basically I want to know if I should tune a whole bunch of tables at a time because it doesn't matter, or I'm ok just doing one table at a time.

TIA!
LGT-3-6

Postby Jon [in CT] » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:52 pm

It writes in "blocks" so if all of your changes happen to be located in a single block, then the reflash time is exactly the same as if you'd only changed a single bit.
Jon [in CT]

Postby LGT-3-6 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:00 pm

Jon [in CT] wrote:It writes in "blocks" so if all of your changes happen to be located in a single block, then the reflash time is exactly the same as if you'd only changed a single bit.

Not worried about the time, worried about flash life. I know ecuflash uploads a block at a time, just wondering if the whole block is actually flashed or compared first.

I've been tuning one table at a time so far, but I figured 100 flashes per bit. Minimum of a 100 flash cycles + anecdotal evidence of "more than 300" flashes is not encouraging.
LGT-3-6

Postby Freon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:57 pm

It actually flashes the whole block. I believe it is a requirement of the flash ROM and CPU.

I really don't think you should be too concerned about flashing your ECU too much. I wouldn't go out of your way to flash more than necessary, but with all these people using Openecu now for years I have not seen a report of an ECU being flashed to death. I know I've flashed mine over 100 times, maybe approaching 150.
Freon

Postby LGT-3-6 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:37 am

People keep saying that, but the spec for the cpu says "minimum" of a 100 flashes. I believe I'm up to about flash 64 right now. It's going to take a lot more to get the tune right, especially because I can't leave well enough alone. Optimizing AVCS alone could take 20 flashes, in the least.
LGT-3-6

Return to Reflashing Software