EcuFlash questions

User topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Postby BarryC. » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:34 am

Sanctifier wrote:
BarryC. wrote:... no there are no versions or software thats easily available like Ecuflash tha will support our ECU's, I am trying to gather enough info to swap my standard ECU for one from an Evo 7, there is a guy on here that has done it, I am hoping that he will give me some advice and solutions to the technical problems associated with the swap.
if I can do it I will post a how to so all us CP9A people can benefit from this mod.
but I am kinda hoping that he will do this first as he is the expert on this subject.

Please Evo4mad

That's the same conclusion that I arrived at.

I face even more "double jeopardy" than most.
I also have an Xede piggy-back for over eight months.
No software version available for the Evo 6 either. :roll:

Preparing for AutoX with complete rebuild soon.
I bought JDM E7 GSR ECU & harness just in case ECUFlash for E5-6 doesn't happen soon.
If nothing happens on either issue, I'll rewire with Evo 7 harness.
Still missing section under dashboard with "initialization plug" but I'll buy that and
reflash E7 GSR ECU. I won't wait anymore after the rest of the "prep" is finished.

As a last resort... E7 ECU + ECUFlash + E8 Xede maps + more tuning for my Evo 6 RS2.

keep me posted with regards your progress and I will do the same the more we have working on this the easier it will be.
BarryC.

Postby Sanctifier » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:26 am

BarryC. wrote:keep me posted with regards your progress and I will do the same the more we have working on this the easier it will be.

I'll let you know how it goes. BTW a couple questions for you.
I checked a newer Lancer Cedia 1800 GDI Wagon recently...
They HAVE the white initialization plug.

Does it have to be an "Evo-specific" initialization plug in the first place?
Isn't it possible to source the missing section of harness (with plug) from a different Mitsu
model and use that with an E7 harness? (...maybe even spliced into an E6 harness?)
Sanctifier

Postby BarryC. » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:00 pm

Sanctifier wrote:
BarryC. wrote:keep me posted with regards your progress and I will do the same the more we have working on this the easier it will be.

I'll let you know how it goes. BTW a couple questions for you.
I checked a newer Lancer Cedia 1800 GDI Wagon recently...
They HAVE the white initialization plug.

Does it have to be an "Evo-specific" initialization plug in the first place?
Isn't it possible to source the missing section of harness (with plug) from a different Mitsu
model and use that with an E7 harness? (...maybe even spliced into an E6 harness?)

you dont even need to go to that sort of trouble all you need do is get one of these harnesses,

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/merch ... OBDHARNESS

you will need it to change the wiring to the new ecu, cut the cable to pin 79 run an extended cable to your obdii connector and fit a bullet connector the same that is on the cable to the white initialisation connector, remove the white connector on your tatrix cable and connect the single initialisation cable from your tatrix to the new cable that you have run in from your ECU harness, this will work for anyone that has no white initalisation connector. :wink:
BarryC.

Postby GTODesign » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:54 am

Just to clear a few things up...

The reason why you can't re-flash an E4/5/6 at the moment is because of the microcontroller (MCu) used within the ECU(s). The MCu contains the program data that you would need to re-flash, in order to perform this task, you need a program/hardware that will communicate with that specific MCu, dump it's memory and then re-write as required. The programming required to do this task is more often than not specific to a given family of MCu's.

MCu's used in the vehicles in question are as follows (IIRC)...
E4 MH6111F
E5/6 MH7202F

In order to write a program to communicate with the afore-mentioned MCu's you need the manufaturers data sheets to ascertain the programming needed. We already know that the MH7202F MCu is a derivative of the Hitachi H8/539F MCu and we have the data sheets as well as an original ROM dump so all that's required really is for someone to take the time to go through them and write a reflashing kernel that can be implemented in the ECUFlash program. Unfortunately the MH6111F is now so old that all reference material seems to have been long since discarded by the manufacturer. (probably when Mitsubishi and Hitachi combined their micro's business into Renesas).

Regarding the white init connector issue, all you need to do is tie ECU pin 79 (IIRC) to the fly-wire on the tacrix cable.
GTODesign

Postby Sanctifier » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up GTO.
Good to know there's a work-around for the initialization socket issue.
You can understand why many owners of older Evos are concerned.

Any idea about Colby's progress with reprogramming the E5/6 MH7202F MCu?
Sanctifier

Postby GTODesign » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:57 pm

Sanctifier wrote:Thanks for the heads up GTO.
Good to know there's a work-around for the initialization socket issue.
You can understand why many owners of older Evos are concerned.

Any idea about Colby's progress with reprogramming the E5/6 MH7202F MCu?

No idea on his progress to be honest. I haven't been around here or spoken to him for quite some time now, from what I can gather much of his time is being taken up by commercial projects and he (understandably) doesn't have much time to spare for the early evo project.
GTODesign

Postby BarryC. » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:05 pm

[/quote]

No idea on his progress to be honest. I haven't been around here or spoken to him for quite some time now, from what I can gather much of his time is being taken up by commercial projects and he (understandably) doesn't have much time to spare for the early evo project.[/quote]

well I suppose thats fair enough if the man is too busy then thats that and we have to just accept that, but surely Colby aint the only man on the planet that can figure this stuff out we need to find someone who will spend some time and write the kernell for the earlier processors.

Please if your out there superman please help us.
BarryC.

Postby R. Mutt » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:36 am

Glad to see that people are still looking for a solution. Though we have none yet it's enlightening to read a thread like this and to at least understand what the problems are.
R. Mutt

Previous

Return to Reflashing Software