programming voltage is 4.2 volts programming voltage is too

User topics relating to software that reflashes or modifes ECU code and data

Moderator: Freon

Postby Hyper » Mon May 07, 2007 10:34 am

which ECU pin is that?
I want to check it for voltage and resistance
Hyper

Postby qbanrex » Mon May 21, 2007 10:52 am

I am currently having this issue... so what you did was to run a 12v source into the back of the flash block and then connect the blue connector ?

thanks
qbanrex

Postby death_bg » Fri May 25, 2007 7:52 am

Can someone please take pictures of where the wire needs to go? I am having this problem, and am having problems understanding what needs to be done...Thanks
death_bg

Postby darklogic85 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:20 pm

I'm also having some trouble understanding this. I'm not very good with electrical stuff, so any pictures would be greatly appreciated. I'm supposed to run a line from the positive side of the battery to where? To where the tactrix cable plugs in, or the small blue plug? I'm trying to reflash my ECU on my 2002 WRX for the first time and keep getting the same error that everyone else in this thread seems to be getting, varying between 4.2v to 4.3v.
darklogic85

Postby dynowog » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:02 am

looks like ive fallen victom too!

the forrester that i have here:

reads and test writes

has 12-13 volts at the 8 pin/4 wire jumper block @ all 4 pins while back probing it conected

yet still volts too low?

is it maybe the laptop that needs to see 12v?
dynowog

Postby bmw5002 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:14 pm

i just had this problem appear out of nowhere the other day. i have an 02 wrx. ive been flashing fine for months now. just the other day, i went out to the car in the morning with a fresh tune i had worked on the night before. it came up with the 4v flash error multiple times. my battery was definitely not dead. so i started the car, drove to the gas station, retried it, and it worked fine. wtf?!
bmw5002

Postby dynowog » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:56 pm

any news ont this issue?
dynowog

Postby ksbuell » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:30 pm

i am also having this issue, is jumping the flash block with 12V safe? Could this ba a groud issue that may ba solved with a HKS circle earth(ground) kit? Would really like to purchase and install a Stage2 map!

02 wrx, uppipe, turbo back, short ram intake, and in need of stage 2 map which I have but can't flash.
ksbuell

Postby sperry » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:18 pm

Bumping this old one because I just started playing around with RomRaider and ECU Flash on my '02 WRX.

I was seeing 2.11V with my jumper installed, even with a battery charger on the car. So I ended up hooking 12V straight from the battery to the jumper and was able to upload a ROM (with the headlights and A/C fans running to get the voltage back down).

Since this is a pretty inconvenient process to go through (trying to find enough stuff to turn on to drop the voltage) I grabbed a switch and a 100KOhm variable resistor (volume knob potentiometer) and built a little harness for the jumper block.

I used +12V off the illumination wiring (I'll move this to IGN later) and ran it to the switch, then from the switch to the pot, then from the pot to the single horizontal pin in the jumper block (no need to run the +12V to both pins).

Then I fired up ECU Flash and turned down the volume on the voltage gradually from 13V to the mid 12's. Things still weren't totally happy... for some reason at 12.68V it would complain it was too high, then I split an atom turning the volume knob the absolute smallest amount I could, and got a "voltage too low" warning at 12.60V.... WTH? But I came back to it after dinner, and tried again and the pot adjustment process went off without a hitch and I was able to upload my ROM.

All I know is, this is a real PITA to deal with... I wish there was an answer to why the '02 WRX's have this problem and what the correct solution is, 'cause manually wiring 12V into the jumper is retarded.
sperry

programming voltage out of range

Postby phijar » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:53 am

I have run into this same problem on my 2002 WRX. I have read through the post here and done some other searches. When I do the test flash it completes but still has an error for the programming voltage out of range (4.1V) I am hoping someone can provide some clarification on where the 12V line should go to the jumper as this seems to be a workable solution. Is it ok to just tap a 12V line from the battery to the blue wire on the jumper or will the line need to go to a specific side of the jumper.

Thanks in adavnce for your help!
phijar

I've had the 4.2V problem too...

Postby cango_uk » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:32 pm

... and I got round it the first time by pushing the plug in very hard and holding it under the wheel while I flashed, and since I bent the pins on the plug a little, I've not had an issue. It seems that because I'd left the cable plugged in for a while, it had warn it out a bit. I don't flash the car that often so I'm not too worried but I thought I'd share...
cango_uk

Postby Hyper » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:16 am

I ended up rewiring a little
laid the wire that goes from the flash connectors directly to ECU, problem solved
Hyper

Same Error but with 8.14 Volts

Postby T-Heineken » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:23 pm

So I've been able to swap maps on my 04 wrx ever since I got my Tactrix cable.

But this past weekend I Big 3'd my car to get rid of the headlight dimming as a result of my amp/sub combo.

So today I go to swap maps and I get the programming voltage out of range error, but I get a voltage reading of 8.14 volts.

I opened up EcuExplorer and my voltage was 8.640 in that program.

I assume this is because the electrical system is now more grounded....

anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts on fixing it without taking out all the grounds I just put in?
T-Heineken

Re: programming voltage is 4.2 volts programming voltage is too

Postby killa996 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:15 pm

hey i have a 04 wrx. i would like to know what wires do i have to jump from the battery?? i have a 02 wrx that i flashed and i had the same problem with the voltage. the 04 wrx gives me the same error. i used to put a wire from the batt on my 02 wrx and insert it in to connec to the blue wire under my dash. now the 04 wrx has 4 plugs with 4 wires. does anyone know what wire im supposed to run the 12v from the batt to??
killa996

Re: programming voltage is 4.2 volts programming voltage is too

Postby Neogenicy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:57 am

I'm also having the programming voltage is out of range! error at 4.42v. What wire do you hook the 12v up to? I have a 04 wrx drive by wire with a new battery.
Neogenicy

Previous

Return to Reflashing Software