Here's a beta of the command line reflashing tool

OpenECU software executables and source code

Moderator: Freon

Postby cboles » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:40 am

You could certainly update your '02 code, but I don't think an '02 ECU will work correctly in a '04. I haven't compared both circuit boards, but some things might be different, or the wiring to the ECU could be different. Like I mentioned before, the OL/CL transition parameters are modifiable in the '04.

Jeramie wrote:I currently have an 04. I went out and got my self a spare 02 (which was intended to swap out the 04 ECU to get rid of the Ol/CL delay. Problem is a I got a very early revision of the ECU and apparnetly it had problems (TSB's showed the dealers were reflashing the ECU to fix the CEL). Can I take a newer 02 map and flash it onto my 02 ECU to work with my 04? (I really didn't want to tinker with my stock ECU).
cboles
Site Admin

Re: 4eat ecu's

Postby bofh » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:49 am

engr wrote:Are there any differences in 4EAT ECU's compared to 5MT? If I get images from 5mts will it work on a 4EAT?

From people swapping a slush box for a stick, and ECU change is required. I think you would have problems here, as the ECU somewhat controls shift points.
bofh

Postby Jeramie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:54 am

Thats looking like the second option. I've done some research on the topic of swapping out and 04 ecu for an 02. Basically it seems the 04 has additional sensors that the 02's didn't have. But the 02 ecu isn't looking for them, so it's not a problem. you can swap an 04 for an ealier ecu but not vis versa.

At least this seems to be the case. I had the ecu in my car already and everything was good for 60 miles. Then I got the dreaded CEL. You can check out my thread here

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803560

In this thread you will see the memo to "all service managers". Please keep in mind this is all hear say! (Trying to keep the facts straight).

Anyways, I figured this would be a great way for me to tinker with the ECU, contribute something to NASIOC and possible OpenECU.org. As soon as the gets here I will add and 04 MTX ECU and and 02 MTX ECU rom images for the sedan (which it looks like there arn't any yet).

"You could certainly update your '02 code, but I don't think an '02 ECU will work correctly in a '04."

There is only one way to find out. As of now, we know the 02 ECU won't make an 04 blow up instantaously! lol!! And it seems the CEL code I got is an 02 ECU problem (not an 02 in a 04). Can't hurt to update the image and swap them back out again!?

If that doesn't work in the end, it would be great if you could help me out with OL/CL Delay in the 04 ECU.? Thanks
Last edited by Jeramie on Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeramie

Postby crazymikie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:06 pm

Let's see-

As far as I know, the 02/03 ECUs were the same for AT/MT cars. So, you should be able to swap them in and out without a problem. They actually have different maps for some of the parameters (like boost) based on whether or not the car is an AT or MT.

For 04/05, the ECUs were different, however, as far as I know, the AT ECU will work just fine in the MT car. I don't think the opposite is true, however. I've not tried it.

I will check out the thread about the CEL you are getting- I have heard of some people using older ECUs to avoid the delay problems, but nothing in detail. Very shortly, there should be a flash available to just remove the delay on your 04/05, so I would just hold tight.

As far as flashing different years, I don't think it will work. Colby can verify, but I would guess not. 02 and 03 might be compatible with one another and 04 and 05 might be interchangeable, but I would not bank on mixing 02 with 04.

Please let me know if you need a hand. I'd be happy to help.

As an aside, I went to college with someone from Quakertown- small world, eh?

Mike
crazymikie

Postby Jeramie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:32 pm

Either way as long as I get rid the OL/CL Delay and I can throw on this DP. I will be happy. Not to meantion being able to log!!! I can't wait for the cable to get here!!

Really, From good old Q-town, it is a small world. I'm 25, if they are around my age I probally know the person (not a very big town). What was their name?

Anyways to save some of you time the CEL I threw running the 02 ECU was

"P0340"

Something about Bank A Cam Shaft sensor. Put the 04 Back in, and no problems (so we know it's not the sensor). Seems like a minor problem, since even with CEL the car wasn't running in limp mode (actually seemed to be running better with the 02 ECU). If thats the biggest problem people run into, I don't think swapping an 02 ECU for an 04 will be to hard to make happen.

Of course the way you guys, got things going, people won't even need to worrie about this soon.

"Very shortly, there should be a flash available to just remove the delay on your 04/05, so I would just hold tight."

LOL, I'm not a very patience person, and I can't twist your guys arms so I will do the next best thing. Try to help you guys in anyway I can!
Jeramie

Postby Jeramie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:41 pm

This leads me to belive that the 02 ECU in question had problems when it was in an 02 car. So basically I think if I flash this 02 ECU with a newer 02 ROM it will fix the CEL and I bet the car will run just fine with the 02? Just a geuss. Maybe we will find out!
Jeramie

Postby crazymikie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:16 pm

If you can get a ROM with a newer rev of the 02, you should be golden. There may actually be one posted in one of the forums below- that might do the trick.

Sent you PM about Q-Town. :)
crazymikie

Postby Jeramie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:31 pm

Thats what I was thinking, hoping (fingers crossed!).
Jeramie

Postby YumGTR » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:34 pm

cobb tuning uses the same maps on all 2002-2003 ecu's via their accessport, so if you download a rom from a newer 2002 ecu, it should work fine.

on a side note, has anyone posted any cobb AP flashed ROMs or any ECUTek flashed ROMs? could those companies consider that theft?
YumGTR

Postby Spiider » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:21 pm

I'm 100% sure they both would consider it copyright infringment, getting a judge to agree with them would be an entirely different story.

It is my position that they can't hold copyright on a non-original work. Although Ecutek's and Cobb's tuning software are obviously original works, the original rom is denso's. (Sort of like saying you hold copyright on "The DaVinci Code" because you changed a few words in the middle.)

The other problem is copyright notification, I haven't seen any copyright info in any of the roms we have posted here other than the Denso copyright. How are we supposed to know what's Ecutek, Cobb or someone else's original work?

They should have a sticker on the ecu cover or OBD plug area stating if they wish to hold hold copyright on the contents. Without notification, there is no way of knowing what data is copyright and copyright by whom.
Spiider

Postby YumGTR » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:14 pm

so because cobb or ecutek is taking ROM data originally created by denso or subaru they might have no ability to enforce or even claim copyright of the actual rom data? Also if they are only modifying code originally developed by someone else, then they might have no recourse against someone taking their maps (just like they did to subaru) and modifying them. That second option seems safer than just assuming the have no claim or ability to enforce copyright against people using the direct cobb/ecutek maps.

have any pointers been identified in the rom dumps for locations of specific settings (cold rev limit, warm rev limit, CEL toggle on/off for specific DTC's)?

I am willing to purchase cobb AP or flashed ECUTEK ecu, download the map(s) out of it, and share them. should I upload them here when I do under my own username or should I use a different account with more anonymity?

i can envision the floodgates opening to the masses of subaru owners worldwide once this command line app is turned into a more user-friendly GUI that has tuning features, and is included for free on CD with the OpenPort cables that are already being sold. Cobb & ECUTek will have no choice but to lower their prices.
YumGTR

Postby YumGTR » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:19 pm

also, has anyone bothered to look at the .PTB & .PTR files that are available on the cobb site to see if they are just direct dump files?

before the accessport, cobb used to tune cars directly via a cable hooked between their computer and the car. this was their AccessECU product. my friend has a custom tuned (access ecu) 02 wrx with a big APS turbo, FMIC, STi Pinks, and ej25 bottom end. i could probably download that and post it here for comparison purposes too.
YumGTR

Postby Spiider » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:51 pm

I'm not an international copyright lawyer, those are just my opinions.
Spiider

Postby Spiider » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:53 pm

YumGTR wrote:have any pointers been identified in the rom dumps for locations of specific settings (cold rev limit, warm rev limit, CEL toggle on/off for specific DTC's)?

Yes, everything.
Spiider

Postby crazymikie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:16 pm

My honest opinion-

It's not worth causing trouble by posting Cobb's flashes or EcuTek's flashes here.

First off, with the ability to modify your own ECU, I (and I think Colby stated this before) hope to see people start to learn more as they have tools readily available to them. Instead of just pirating other peoples' work, you could do your own tuning and get better results.

Also, running a tune that wasn't made for your car (a la EcuTek) may actually cause problems. There are always variations car to car and running a tune that is too aggressive may not work so well on your car.

If all of this effort was done to distribute Cobb and EcuTek maps, I think the big benefit of the project was missed.

Just my thoughts, though...feel free to disagree.

Mike
crazymikie

PreviousNext

Return to OpenECU Software