Question on an OEM reflasher cable

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Question on an OEM reflasher cable

Postby shotgunefx » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi,

My first post here, did some searching first, but couldn't find the answer to my question.

My vehicle is a Chrysler Sebring Coupe (basically, a bigger 2000+mitsubishi eclipse with a chrysler skin, same everything, under the hood).

I know there are cables out now, but on backorder. Two years ago, I purchased the Mitsu factory reprogrammer for my own reverse engineering attempt. Unfortunately, it needs either a DRBIII/MUTII or MDS2 to get the flashes into the programmer, so I was never able to get even started.

Anyway, the cable that it comes with, looks superficially anyway, exactly like the current cables being sold, except instead of the USB end, it ends in a 25 pin rs232 cable.

Think there's a chance I could read my ECU with this? It be nice if I got some use out of it for the $$$.

Thanks,
-Lee
shotgunefx

Postby shotgunefx » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:32 am

Got my OpenPort cable today

It's pretty similar to the factory cable,

The factory cable is on the left, the one on the right is the OpenPort 1.3

Some oddities, the OpenPort is meant to support logging, not just Flashing like the 8432 tool I have, so it's no suprise that is has more pins populated in the housing.

What does strike me as odd, seeing the OpenPort performs the same functions as the flasher, that it would be missing pins that the 8432 has?

Here's the pinout, any thoughts on what the missing pins do?

shotgunefx

Return to Interface Hardware