Unable to install drivers / connect / XP

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Unable to install drivers / connect / XP

Postby bigbird » Wed May 10, 2006 10:51 am

Hey all, I apologize in advance for what may be a very newbie question.

I am unable to install the drivers and successfully interface with the USB, windows XP laptop.

I downloaded the FTIDChip software, I am unable to install the drivers; I ran DPINST.EXE and tried to manually install them, but still no luck. Windows is not picking up on any drivers.

I am not able to use USB as COM1 basically; not sure what the procedure is to make it work.

Thanks again,
Mike
bigbird

Postby Freon » Wed May 10, 2006 10:57 am

No, you will not be able to use COM1 as USB. That is almost certainly a hardware serial port on your mainboard.

Once the drivers are installed correctly, it will probably show up as COM5, or maybe COM3. You'll have to look in device manager to find it, or guess. I can tell you it almost certainly will not be COM1 or COM2.

Colby stated in another thread that ecuflash 1.3 will have the drivers and should be released soon.

Do you see your cable in your Device Manager? It may say something like "Unknown device" with an exclamation point for the icon, but it should at least show up somewhere in device manager regardless. If so, what DOES it actually say? "I can't load the drivers" could mean all sorts of things.
Freon

Postby bigbird » Wed May 10, 2006 11:03 am

Fair - let me clarify please.

Using Version 1.25.556 ECU FLASH

I am getting "Problem installing hardware" after plugging in the USB. I downloaded the drivers but windows does not pick up the drivers from that directory either.

I am getting EXCLAMATION - OPENPORT 1.3 MITSU with no drivers installed in the device manager.
bigbird

Postby Freon » Wed May 10, 2006 11:40 am

Freon

Postby bigbird » Wed May 10, 2006 11:43 am

Yup; just read that Colby is released the 1.3 asap, and I also realized he emailed me as well explaining that.

I feel like an idiot now. :)
bigbird

Postby cboles » Wed May 10, 2006 1:58 pm

Let me know if you still have driver problems after the install. The OpenPort 1.3M does not appear as a virtual com port anymore. It uses a more direct-access driver (ftd2xx.sys)
cboles
Site Admin

Postby bigbird » Wed May 10, 2006 2:57 pm

Thank you so much. Tested the 1.3 and flash on 3 shop cars; worked like a charm. Thanks again.
bigbird

Postby 05 Evo » Wed May 10, 2006 4:59 pm

deleted double post
Last edited by 05 Evo on Wed May 10, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
05 Evo

Postby 05 Evo » Wed May 10, 2006 5:01 pm

Colby,

I downloaded some freeware OBD-II software to try to have some rudimentary logging capabilities until a logging software comes out. Is there a way that I can get he 1.3M to show up as a COM port, because all of the OBD-II freeware that I can find is looking for a COM port.

Thanks,
Eric
05 Evo

Postby Hitokiri » Fri May 12, 2006 8:12 am

i second the need for a comm port on the 1.3M. It was great to be able to do my logging and flashing and DTC, etc through ecuexplorer with the comm port...

Todd
Hitokiri

Postby cboles » Fri May 12, 2006 10:59 am

You can alternately switch the driver to make it a COM port again, but that will quickly become a PITA. I tried to give Calvin info about this change a while back, but I'm sure he is busy with other projects. In order to safely and reliably do what I needed to do on the Mistubishi, I needed to switch drivers.

If you REALLY want to use the OP1.3M as a com port (it won't be able to do Mitsubishi stuff while you are in VCP mode), you can update to the driver package I have in this zip file. When you want to use it as a Mitsu cable again, you will have to switch the drivers back to the ones in the EcuFlash\drivers directory.
Attachments
1.3M as VCP.zip
Drivers to use OpenPort 1.3M as a VCP
(138.97 KiB) Downloaded 642 times
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Jon [in CT] » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:06 pm

cboles wrote:You can alternately switch the driver to make it a COM port again, but that will quickly become a PITA. I tried to give Calvin info about this change a while back, but I'm sure he is busy with other projects. In order to safely and reliably do what I needed to do on the Mistubishi, I needed to switch drivers.

If you REALLY want to use the OP1.3M as a com port (it won't be able to do Mitsubishi stuff while you are in VCP mode), you can update to the driver package I have in this zip file. When you want to use it as a Mitsu cable again, you will have to switch the drivers back to the ones in the EcuFlash\drivers directory.
I was reading about FTDI's Windows Combined Driver Model at http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/AppNotes/AN232R-04_CDM.pdf. It appears that if I install the driver package from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm that's appropriate for my level of Windows, then the 1.3M would open as a serial COM port so that ecuExplorer can use it, and yet it would also support the D2XX interface, so EcuFlash can use it.

What am I missing?
Jon [in CT]

Postby cboles » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:28 pm

Yes, this new set of drivers is packaged into a new release I am working on along with some EcuFlash changes.

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby matej » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:55 am

Hi

my 1st post here. I ordered 1.3 Mitsubishi cable, and I have ecuflash 1.28, but my cable could not be installed.

As I red from past posts it should work fine only with installation of ecuflash, but not in my case.

I have in ecuflash 6 ports (com1-6), but no matter on which I switch on all there is an connection error to the car connection.

In System there is shown cable as a Other device also shown that there is no drivers installed. I tried to install driver manually (link in other topic), but XP's doesnt recognize these drivers.

Please can somebody tell me how to correctly install cable and software? When I installed software, I didnt have connected 1.3M cable. Is that correct?

please help me...
matej

Postby matej » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:46 am

still no sucess

I try with virtual port drivers, and I managed to install cable, so that in System area looks OK (cable is installed on COM port 8 )

but still getting message from ecuflash "This vehicle interface does not support needed features"

??
matej

Next

Return to Interface Hardware