OpenPort 2.0 Standalone Logging Problems

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

OpenPort 2.0 Standalone Logging Problems

Postby gpshumway » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm hoping someone here can help me troubleshoot the issues I'm having with my OpenPort and standalone logging. I've followed the instructions in the beta thread but am still not able to get it working.

What works:
-I can read my ROM through the OpenPort using EcuFlash.
-Both of my SD cards read and format fine when inserted directly into my computer.

Things I've tried:
-Several different logcfg.txt files ranging from an unmodified (except for file name) "subaru k-line.txt" to highly simplified version of same. I even tried a variant of the "subaru can fast.txt" sample file.

-Re-formatting the SD card.

Evidence something is wrong:
-When plugged into the OBD2 port with SD card (with logcfg.txt) installed the lights never flash as though data is being read or written, they just proceed in their typical Red---Green---Blue fade sequence.

-With the OpenPort plugged into the computer, the SD card does not show up as a removable drive as the instructions say it should. I've tried this on two separate computers.

-The SD card is difficult to get properly seated in the OpenPort, and even more difficult to remove. It gets stuck when pushed in to release it. It seems the hole in the clear case is too small, and the card gets stuck against the side of the hole. Overall there seems to be something wrong with the SD card reader.

I've got an OpenPort 2.0 Rev E recently purchased from Tactrix, a Toshiba laptop running Win XP, and a pair of Kingston 2gb micro SD cards.

I suspect strongly that I have a faulty OpenPort. The Tactrix folks were kind enough to call to help me diagnose the original problems, but have not responded to additional phone and e-mail messages for a couple of weeks. Are they on vacation or something?

Any help appreciated.
gpshumway

Re: OpenPort 2.0 Standalone Logging Problems

Postby hpd_wally » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:01 pm

What firware specifically are you running?

http://evoscan.com/ecuflash/ --

I think there is a difference between 1.43.3000b, and 1.43.3095.

3000b has firmware 1.10.1020
30095 has firmware 1.10.1038

for some reason only 3095 is hosted on evoscan.com, and colby has 3000b on his site
hpd_wally

Postby gpshumway » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:06 am

Hmm, this is curious. I downloaded 3000b from Tactrix and I'm running firmware 1.10.3020. I think we've found the issue (though my OpenPort is still broken physically).

There seems to be some confusion on the part of the Tactrix folks as to what constitutes "firmware". The lovely young lady I spoke to on the phone told me that "firmware" was something of a misnomer, and that the term "firmware" in the instructions was actually referring to the software on the computer, and as long as I was able to find and edit the sample logcfg files there was nothing more to do to the OpenPort. It didn't sound right to me at the time, and you've now confirmed that. The missing link at the time was I had closed the log window while playing with EcuFlash, and was (and still am) confused by the "Help | Licensing" operation.

So how do I get the firmware to update? When I select "Help | Licensing" a window pops up with some general info and a blank labeled "Add License" next to an "Apply" button. I'm not sure what to type into the "Add License" blank, if anything. Each time I click the "Apply" button the firmware version shows up in the log window.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It seems the EcuFlash version hosted at evoscan.com is more recent than that hosted on tactrix.com. I'll give that a try and report back.

Thanks for the help, Wally!

Edit - BTW, I've never been to Evoscan before. I have a 2007 Subaru WRX. I guess I should have said that in my original post.
gpshumway

Postby hpd_wally » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:35 pm

I also improperly set my 3rd d-byte to 0x52, instead of 0x5D

I didn't pay full attention to what is what supposed to be set to ( this is for the 2010 x gsr)

I should clairify that I did update the 'firmware' on the openport 2.0 device (Running on the Philips LXP2468) to the latest which is 1.10.3038. There is also updated 'drivers' which are always included in the build that are for replacing the usbsys.dll interface that standard hosts communicate over.

It is working for me on 1.10.3038
hpd_wally

Postby gpshumway » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:44 am

Well, I figured it out.

The lovely people at Tactrix sent me a new OpenPort, and all is well now (thanks, Amanda!) Apparently the SD card reader in my other OpenPort didn't work properly.

It shows up as a removable drive in my computer, and the logcfg.txt files I was trying before work perfectly now.

Now to figure out how to log Requested Torque and/or Throttle Pedal %...

Thanks for your help, Wally.
gpshumway

Return to Interface Hardware