Interface modding 1.3 into a 1.3U-R

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Interface modding 1.3 into a 1.3U-R

Postby enash99 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:17 am

Hello everyone. I have been a Subie owner for many years and have had no issues with my 1.3 cable connecting to MY02-My03 and 05 STI. I am able to read/flash as well. Now I have purchased a 1992 Talon TSI. I have modified it to use a 2003 USDM Evo 8 ECU. Well ofcourse the interface is different and the cable I bought in 2006 for my Subies is only an OBDII cable, it does not have the white flash plug that is needed to flash the EVO ecu. My Question is, Looking at my friends Openport Cable that he uses to tune EVO's with he has the white flashing plug and it is connected to his openport cable with just a single wire. Is there a way that I can just mod my current cable? I dont see myself ever going back and owning an older WRX again, and I would hate to see this cable not get any use. (I know I can sell it) But is there any circut level differences other than the white flashing plug that is connected with the single wire? Can I make my current cable a 1.3U or R which ever it is. The price of the cable is $137.00

" Limitless Designs - OpenPort 1.3U Universal USB Cable
Datalogging and EcuFlash Reprogramming Cable.
High quality and high performance 16pin+12pin datalogger/reflash cable, capable of extreme high speeds.
Perfect for EvoScan (Subaru SSMII, Mitsubishi MUTII, OBDII), EcuFlash, OBDII software.
Specifically supports 1994-2007 Mitsubishi vehicles for EFI, AYC and ABS systems. Allows reprogramming of Subaru WRX/Sti ECUs and reprogramming of Mitsubishi Evo factory ecus via EcuFlash (included reflash connector) Also Supports 1999-2007 Subaru SSM-II vehicles for datalogging."

I am not trying to be cheap but since this one already works to reflash my subies, I also use it to datalog our 2000 galant as well. I just wonder can I get that plug and solder the wire into the right location and be able to use it.

When i open up ECUflash with the cable connected and then I select the EVO 8 model I get the error
"[11:55:46.215] flashing tool "mitsucan" loaded.
[11:58:47.793] Using interface OpenPort 1.3 Subaru TX45REGre9c6f6d5b540faf352e4811c9f3ec04aecf5ffa5
[11:58:47.871] This vehicle interface does not support needed features.
[11:58:47.871] unable to connect to vehicle interface.
[11:58:47.871] interface close"

Is what i am looking to do possible?
enash99

Return to Interface Hardware