Openport 1.3 cable did work, now doesn't?!?

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Openport 1.3 cable did work, now doesn't?!?

Postby Photocaro » Wed May 19, 2010 1:56 am

Hi,

could someone please help me with the following problem. I am using an openport 1.3 Cable to try flash my car. Now about a week ago I was able to read the ROM from my car no problems and yesterday and today I have tried to re-read/test write the ROM before doing a proper write and the cable will not initiate the ECU with Ecuflash. I have tried re-installing drivers and ecuflash, but still no go. I am using latest version of ecuflash (1.42.2595) before and now.

Wierd thing is I can still log and actuate fans with evoscan, but cannot get trouble codes through evoscan (I am assuming trouble codes and reflashing uses same pinouts on the cable?)

Has anyone come across this before? If so, what was the answer? Dodgy cable?

Thank you to anyone that can help :)
Photocaro

Re: Openport 1.3 cable did work, now doesn't?!?

Postby radsdau » Wed May 19, 2010 3:17 pm

You didn't specify the car you are tuning, but because you mentioned EvoScan, I assume it's an EVO.
Those cables have been known to fail in several different modes. I have seen the L-Line circuit (early WRX) fail, the 12V flash voltage fail (also early WRX), and the EVO VPP circuit fail.
Break it open and look for parts where the magic smoke has escaped.
radsdau

Postby Photocaro » Wed May 19, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi radsdau, thank you for the reply.

I am actually working on a pajero which was working good, but now wont flash :( I did take the unit apart to have a look but the back section is filled with hot glue making it hard to get apart. It isn't my cable either, a friend has lent me his so i have been a bit hesitant to go any further.

It didnt smell like it had released the infamous magic smoke you speak of so could it be a dry solder joint? The soldering on the small board I can see doesn't look the best.

Do you know what pins would be affected to help me track down the problem?

Thanks again!
Photocaro

Postby radsdau » Thu May 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Yes the glue makes it a little awkward. It softens if heated so is not too hard to remove (I think it's hot melt glue).

Dry solder is possible but I haven't found that to be the problem with the failures I have seen.

There are schematics for OpenPort 1.3 cable floating around on the forums. The parts that I found had died were SOT23 transistors and 0805 resistors. The 12V regulator died on one too. You'll need the schematic to replace any dead parts anyway. They're all cheap and easy to get hold of (Farnell/Newark etc).

If you have a scope or a multimeter see if you can find the signals in error. Should be pretty easy to spot.
radsdau

Postby Photocaro » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:28 am

Ok I dont know what happened with the cable, but on the reflash connector there was a single black wire coming out of the main openport connector which split into 3 wires and then went into the reflash connector. Only one of those black wires had connectivity back to where they split into 3!?! I was using a wire to jumper onto my flash connector in my vehicle and when I connected the wire which had connectivity it worked no problems?!?! Should all three connections have connectivity back through to the main connector??
Photocaro

Postby radsdau » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:11 pm

Sounds like a manufacturing fault to me. All 3 wires should be joined together, but I have only ever seen one being used. I suppose Colby has come across Mitsubishi vehicles where the programming voltage pins are in a different place. I've never seen this though.
radsdau

Postby Photocaro » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:55 am

I've since given it back to my friend who has used it successfully on his Evo so I got no idea what is going on! lol

Thanks for your help!!
Photocaro

Return to Interface Hardware