05 STi cant read rom

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

05 STi cant read rom

Postby dookie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:35 pm

I am using a Tactrix 2.0c windows xp sp3 and the latest software & def. its a 2005 USDM STi.
pic #3 shows error.

here is where im at:

at this point key is in ignition but completely in the off postion:

then when i click on ok I quicky turn the ignition and get this:

what am I doing wrong? please help!!
dookie

Re: 05 STi cant read rom

Postby Street Sports » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:56 pm

If you are clicking "OK" before you actually turn the key on, then you need to start turning the key on first, THEN click "OK". I am working on the same car for a customer and I had some problems with it. You will want to make sure to click "OK" very quickly, but not exactly simultaneously. Another thing I ended up needing to do with this vehicle, was to hook up a battery charger to make sure the voltage was high enough. Low battery voltage (what the software thinks is low, not what you think is low) will give you problems. One last thing is to make sure that you are connected well at the OBD2 port. I have had what I thought was a good and tight connection be a problem. Hope that helps. Let us know what works for you.

Shawn @ Street Sports
Street Sports

Postby dookie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:29 pm

looks like its a driver issue.. the tatrix 2.0 doesn't show in device manager under usb controllers..

still trying to resolve.. have uninstalled drivers have changed ports.. windows xp still doesn't fully recognize the cable.
romraider does see the cable (even with changing the ports) and logs as well.

any help??
dookie

Postby dookie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:47 pm

I have now gone thru the install on 2 other laptops with the same results:

ECUFlash installs properly, but the drivers aren't. none of the three laptops got the USB controller on the tactrix to install.. so when one looks in DEVICE MANAGER the Tactrix can be found under PORTS but NOT under USB CONTROLLERS. When one looks at DEVICE MANAGER under the view by connections, the Tactrix appears but again only the one instance and not the 2 as shown in the DRIVER TIPS WIKI.

I have tried multiple re-installs on each of the laptops.I have tried to manually install the drivers. I have also tried changing the port setting of the tactrix in the attempt to have it fully recognized by xp.

Is there something I'm missing? bad hardware/software? anyone else see this problem? workarounds?
dookie

Postby radsdau » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:00 pm

ECUFlash is finding the OpenPort2, which indicates to me that the drivers are installed ok. On my PC (XP), OpenPort2 comes up in the ports section of device manager.
The fact that ECUFlash is getting as far as it is indicates the hardware is working ok. It looks more like the ECU is locked and is not granting security access to the key provided by ECUFlash/OpenPort2.
Please confirm the ECU is factory and has not been Ecutek or Cobb tuned.
radsdau

Postby dookie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:23 pm

radsdau wrote:ECUFlash is finding the OpenPort2, which indicates to me that the drivers are installed ok. On my PC (XP), OpenPort2 comes up in the ports section of device manager.
The fact that ECUFlash is getting as far as it is indicates the hardware is working ok. It looks more like the ECU is locked and is not granting security access to the key provided by ECUFlash/OpenPort2.
Please confirm the ECU is factory and has not been Ecutek or Cobb tuned.

It is a stock ecu and has never been connected to any aftermarket hardware.

I believe that device manager has to show 2 instances of the OP2. One in Ports and the other in USB Controllers. I can not get the one in USB Controllers to show(install?).
dookie

Postby radsdau » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:32 pm

dookie wrote:I believe that device manager has to show 2 instances of the OP2. One in Ports and the other in USB Controllers. I can not get the one in USB Controllers to show(install?).

Mine doesn't show up there (I just checked). I'm guessing it uses a totally different drive set from the FTDI-based OpenPort1.x.

If ECUFlash finds the device and displays 'OpenPort2' at the bottom right of the screen, then the USB drivers must be installed; they're needed to read that text out, and also to read the capabilities of the device.

Your OpenPort2 firmware is the same as mine, so it's not that.

My guess is that you're using the wrong hookup method; I see you've chosen 05-07 DBW models, but I think for your car you may want the 04 DBW one. Give that a try anyway. Otherwise, take the lid off your ECU and read what the MCU is; it will be either 7055 or 7058. 7055 = 04DBW, 7058 = 05-07DBW.

Double check you're in test mode too; fans should cycle with ignition on.
radsdau

Postby dookie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:30 pm

radsdau wrote:
dookie wrote:I believe that device manager has to show 2 instances of the OP2. One in Ports and the other in USB Controllers. I can not get the one in USB Controllers to show(install?).

Mine doesn't show up there (I just checked). I'm guessing it uses a totally different drive set from the FTDI-based OpenPort1.x.

If ECUFlash finds the device and displays 'OpenPort2' at the bottom right of the screen, then the USB drivers must be installed; they're needed to read that text out, and also to read the capabilities of the device.

Your OpenPort2 firmware is the same as mine, so it's not that.

My guess is that you're using the wrong hookup method; I see you've chosen 05-07 DBW models, but I think for your car you may want the 04 DBW one. Give that a try anyway. Otherwise, take the lid off your ECU and read what the MCU is; it will be either 7055 or 7058. 7055 = 04DBW, 7058 = 05-07DBW.

Double check you're in test mode too; fans should cycle with ignition on.

Thank you. I will check the MCU #'s in the morning. As for the fans i dont hear them come on at all.
when should i hear them click on?
dookie

Postby radsdau » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:10 pm

I'm pretty sure you do have to hear the fans cycling, but I haven't done a car like that in a while to be 100% sure. You should be able to use ROM Raider to read the state of the Test Mode switch. If it's not 'on', there may be more than one set of connectors you have to join; one under the dash, and perhaps another in the passenger footwell or behind the driver's side kick panel. I don't know the rhyme or reason for why there are various combinations of these, but there just seems to be on some cars.
radsdau

Postby dookie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Problem solved!!! part User Error. I found one of the green connector's cable was not making contact.. thank you all for all your help.
dookie

Postby radsdau » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Glad you sorted that one out. That sounds like the sort of thing I'd suspect, but I wouldn't have guessed a bad connection. Well found.
radsdau

Postby dookie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:13 pm

radsdau wrote:Glad you sorted that one out. That sounds like the sort of thing I'd suspect, but I wouldn't have guessed a bad connection. Well found.

yupper.. it sucks being a noob.. :) :) but one has to start somewhere. lol
dookie

Postby slobaru » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:22 pm

dookie wrote:I am using a Tactrix 2.0c windows xp sp3 and the latest software & def. its a 2005 USDM STi.
then when i click on ok I quicky turn the ignition and get this:

what am I doing wrong? please help!!

I have the same problem like this with OP2.0. I never have problem with OP1.3 cable / software.
I already tired unistall and install ecuflash 1.41 multiple time on 2 different laptop XP and Vista, but it still doesn't work. I found some info on nasioc about how to get 1.41 to work, but still no luck.

Anyone know where I can download Ecuflash 1.3? I want to see if I can get ecuflash 1.3 to work with OP2.0 insted of try to get 1.41 to work.
slobaru

Return to Interface Hardware