User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Another OP2.0 connection problem

Postby blindfaith814 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:43 am

2004 WRX
Open ECU ver 1.41
new OP 2.0
XP SP3

I connot connect to my wrx or my wifes forester, tried 2 laptops, no diffrence, both with Openecu and Romraider. No lights on the OP when plugged into the car, and computer doesnt seem to even notice the op when its plugged in. I have downloaded 1.41 and the separate drivers fill multiple times with no errors. All choices on openecu and RR stay greyed out.
The OBDII plug also has a hand written sticker that says: ISP Fail non-synchro responce

Am i just missing something or is there a problem with my OP

Thanks

Shea
blindfaith814

Re: Another OP2.0 connection problem

Postby SRTuning » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:03 am

I purchased my 2.0 Interface back in Oct 08 and have used it twice since then. I also was having problems like you and after working with Colby somehow it worked one more time and I was able to extract the binary file from a 2003 WRX ECU. We thought it was the bootloader not playing well with the ECU microprocessor, but now I'm not sure that was the underlying problem.

The WRX came in a couple of days ago so I could tune it on my dyno and as I tried to access the WRX ECU I had the same issues I had before Colby rewrote the code for the bootloader. This allows the Tactrix interface to connect the computer to the car ECU. As I tried going over my startup procedures to TS why I couldn't connect to the ECU again I felt the USB cord fall down to my feet. Upon further investigation I found the female connector on the interface board had come off but was still attached to the USB cord.

As I put the interface board under my magnify glass I could see that all four solder pads that held this connector on the circuit board were compromised. Initially I thought this was due to cold solders but now I believe it is the circuit board soldering process. While talking to Tactrix and Lloyd at Tuner Tools it was suggested that I bumped the cord with my knee, but this is not the case. You can clearly see the foot pads on the interface circuit board all came off at the same time and the solder that held this connector in place was the issue.

After many attempts to contact Tactrix I was able to get a email through to Amanda. As I type, the WRX is still sitting on my dyno until I receive a replacement interface from Amanda, hopefully I will get it today! I will go in and reinforce the new interface connector with a good potting compound to prevent this from happening again.

Since I purchased my Tactrix Tuning Kit I've had issues getting customer support, but chalk this up to the overwhelming success of Colby's Interface. After talking to Amanda a couple of days ago, she informed me that Colby was out-of-town until the end-of-the-month.

I honestly believe the slow support issue is due to the success of his product and the large volume of customers. Like all small companies it will take time for support to catch up with all the new customers. I know there is no excuse for slow technical support, but I understand the pains of growing a small business and can appreciate their position.

Frank
SR-Tuning, LLC
SRTuning

Re: Another OP2.0 connection problem

Postby itp » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:09 pm

I had no issues till I updated the firmware. Now it will not connect to any of the 3 cars I have tried. Yet my 1.2 and 1.3 cables work.
itp

Return to Interface Hardware