Purpose of Green Connectors and Init Connector?

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Purpose of Green Connectors and Init Connector?

Postby iambrentdaniels » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:42 pm

I've been trying to figure out my tactrix cable on my 2002 USDM WRX. I'm actually getting pretty frustrated with trying to datalog and read the ecu. But in the process I've been somewhat unsure about both connections under the dash. I have a few questions. I would really appreciate some clarificiation.

1) What is the purpose of the Green Connectors under the dash? What does connecting them do?

2) What is the purpose of the Init connector under the dash?

3) Under what circumstances should I connect the Green Connectors? (ex: Logging, Reading, etc.)

4) Under what circumstances should I leave the Init connector connected? (I noticed that the flashing instructions which came with my xpt map say to connect the green connectors and the init connector in the same step, yet the last step only says to disconnect the green connectors...does this mean that the init connector should always stay in place?)

Please help me with these questions...I've really been struggling with these processes.
iambrentdaniels

Re: Purpose of Green Connectors and Init Connector?

Postby radsdau » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:58 pm

On that model car, connecting the 2 green connectors together puts the ECU in a special mode where it is possible to upload custom software, such as a reflashing kernel (which is what happens in this case). I don't know what other functions it has, but at very least it is necessary if you want to read and reflash your ECU.

On later model cars (DBW, but not CAN), it is required to gain security access to upload the reflashing kernel using the SSM2 protocol.

On DBW CAN models, it is not necessary for reflashing or reading. I don't know if it performs any other functions on these models.

The other connector is a flash-voltage enable connector. It is not required to read the ECU using the OpenECU software, but it is required to reflash it. Basically it routes 12V reflashing voltage through to the ECU, without which the ECU flash cannot be erased / programmed.

I hope that clears it up for you.

radsdau
radsdau

Return to Interface Hardware