Bluetooth OpenPort - can you dig it ?

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Bluetooth OpenPort - can you dig it ?

Postby Zepp » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:16 am

Any chance that a bluetooth Open Port could be devised ?

Opens up the possibilities of mobile devices such as mobile phones and palm devices. Not to mention being free of that pesky cable that hangs over your foot and steering wheel when you drive :-)

I for one would jump at the chance to purchase something like this....

Zepp
Zepp

Postby gethin » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:08 am

I've experimented extensively with wireless comms with my UTEC and various other gadgets and it's not a good idea. I've played with bluetooth and parasitic RS232 TIC data radios, they usually just spit out the data regardless. First of all you really need hardware handshaking and proper flow control to make sure you are not loosing any bits, the wireless devices I have used didn't have this and no matter how much I tried I could not get consistent data flow, even at low baud rates such as 2400.

Maybe the Open Port could use some trickery i'm not sure.
gethin

Postby gethin » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:09 am

btw the OBD2 disgnostic port pops out of it's holder and can easily be rerouted and extended so that it does not stick between your legs ;)
gethin

Postby cboles » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:51 am

I though about doing this in the past during some of the redesigns. I just haven't had any positive experiences with bluetooth working consistently and reliably. I've have BT phones, mice, keyboards, serial ports, and they are all a bit flaky. I think it's partially bad chip designs and partially a bad spec / stack. I'm just not sure I would want everyone to be reflashing their car with bluetooth.
cboles
Site Admin

Postby Zepp » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:55 pm

I can understand the need to have the most reliable connection when flashing and reading critical rom changes but my thoughts for a bluetooth connection would be for logging and diagnostics only.
I have messed around with mirco-proccessor chips such as the Atmel AVR and thought it could be possible to introduce an additional layer to control and handle communication, errors and baud rate control. This would be project that I would happiely embark on if the interest was here.
On a final note, I would really like to start developing a logger / diags tool that could run on my Tungsten palm. It seems that most modern hanhelds have done away with a serial connection which only leaves wireless and bluetooth. This is why I would really like to see a bluetooth connection be considered.
I am assuming that a bluetooth adapter would only be considered if there was enough interest and Id hate to think that Im the only one !!

Zepp
Zepp

Postby qoncept » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:55 pm

I think if the word got out that you could easily do all this with a handheld, the interest would be there.. But at the same time, I think a lot of people are afraid of an open source community and want to trust their cars to businesses with phone numbers to complain to.
qoncept

Postby Edward » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:11 am

Zepp, I would love to have a bluetooth adapter for loging. If the plug could be small and self powered it would be brilliant.

Cheers

Edward.
Edward

Postby Edward » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:46 pm

Another thought - with a bluetooth adapter and a cheap bluetooth enabled PDA it would make a superb tool to in car logging.

It would be great to have a monitoring tool you could leave fitted in the car, a company here in the UK makes a dedicated device:
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=501990

But the price puts me off (£400 - $680).

Found this:
http://www.a7eng.com/products/embeddedb ... 00-SER.htm

Cheers

Edward.
Edward

Postby PiNG » Fri May 19, 2006 10:27 am

Not sure if this is what you guys are talking about, but there's OBDII reader that's able to interface through bluetooth...

http://www.vitalengineering.co.uk/
PiNG

Postby blundar » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:26 pm

Colby / whoever is involved with hardware designs -

I've done some investigation of this for honda bluetooth datalogging stuff. Craig Moates has done even more than I have. I'm somewhat in agreement with you on the flash-over-bluetooth because of data integrity issues, but the datalogging over bluetooth is pretty fly. It's on my todo list for the honda community this summer - the design is pretty much a TTL serial -> bluetooth design there, and I'd be more than happy to share with you guys.
blundar

Return to Interface Hardware