Ecutek and Tactrix Cable

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Ecutek and Tactrix Cable

Postby Stig » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:47 pm

I was having a discussion with my tuner the other day regarding the differences between various tuning applications and their associated hardware and it got me thinking about the interface cable.

Is there a difference between the cable used by Ecutek and the Tactrix cable? I'm novice here so bear with me if my logic is flawed. Both cables are USB devices, Both connect to the same OBD II port on the vehicles and both perform the same function (allowing read and write to specific areas of the ECU's ROM).
Stig

Postby turbochips » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:34 am

I was about to asking the same...

In fact the question I have is... Can I use an Ecutek cable to flash a "normal" non Ecutek file to a ´07 WRX?...If (like in this case) there is no Tactrix cable available?
If not... Can I then use the Ecutek software (and cable) to flash a non-encrypted tuned file?
turbochips

Postby Stig » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:41 pm

turbochips wrote:I was about to asking the same...

In fact the question I have is... Can I use an Ecutek cable to flash a "normal" non Ecutek file to a ´07 WRX?...If (like in this case) there is no Tactrix cable available?
If not... Can I then use the Ecutek software (and cable) to flash a non-encrypted tuned file?

How about the reverse? Can ECUflash work with the Ecutek cable?
Stig

Postby Freon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:50 am

ECUflash was written only to interact with the Openport drivers. It will only work with FTDI chips like the 232RL, etc.

There is nothing stopping you from trying. But I find it highly unlikely it will work.

If you have questions about what the Ecutek software does you should ask Ecutek, not here. I'm sure they have their own tech support email, phone #, or whatever for their customers.
Freon

Return to Interface Hardware