2002-2007 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R Programming interface.

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

2002-2007 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R Programming interface.

Postby RidgeRacer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:43 am

Suzuki 32920-24FK0
Denso 112100-1100

The 32bit Denso ECU used by the Busa uses the SH7052 cpu which I'm sure many of you are familiar with. Re-flashing it requires a simple 232 to TTL converter using the FDT freeware from Renesas.

Attached below is a schematic using a basic max232 converter circuit and a couple of switches to switch the cpu into Firmware Enabled Boot mode for programming.

Also attached is a diagram for rewiring the ECU plug. In stock configuration non of the programming pins of the ECU are connected to the wire harness. However the wire harness does have a seven pin connector that is not normally used. It is used at the factory to tweak the ECU to fine adjust the FI for any abnormalities do to manufacturing tolerances. It consists of Gnd, +5V, two digital switch inputs to ECU and three analog channel inputs. As this plug is never used after manufacture it is perfect to modify into a programming plug. It even has +5V power for the max232

To make things even easier the ECU plugs have this little tab you can push that unlocks the pins and allows them to be removed from the shell and reinserted in new locations. Once the wires are rearranged just push the tab on the other side down to relock the pins and your good to go.

I included a three color LED in my example. Green in normal mode indicates the ECU is powered and providing +5V to the box. RED indicates the ECU is in Firmware Enabled Boot mode. Blue is tied to one of the serial lines and flickers when serial data is being transfered.

BTW I am not the first person to program to have done this. This work is based on research done by PetriK, Bozo, myself and others. The basic technique has been successfully used on Kawasaki ZX-6, Z1000 and Suzuki Busa, SV1000. I'm pretty confident it will work with any of the 32bit Denso motorcycle ECUs. Of course the ECU pin numbers will vary by model.

Now for the bad news. As I'm sure many of you know the SH7052 only allows you to program it in boot mode. It first erases all the flash and you can not read the flash through the wire harness. This means you must first cut open an example of the ECU and download the software using the AUD port so that you can have a file to modify and reflash.

Testing the prototype. The ribbon cable connects the cpu's AUD port to a Parallax PBasic Stamp device with software that reads out the cpu's flash as .s19. I used this setup to originally read out the flash contents and then to verify that the my flash device has successfully re-flashed the unit.

Finshed unit with interface cables for programming the ECU thru the wire harness or on the bench.

I'm going to try to make a USB version next.

For more information check out our site at http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=99460[/url]
Attachments
BUSAREWIRE.pdf
Details on rewiring the ECU plug to use an existing wire harness plug as a programming plug.

(revised 3/27/08)
(80.28 KiB) Downloaded 1552 times
232-ecu.pdf
Schematic of working interface including ECU connections
(47.95 KiB) Downloaded 1558 times
Last edited by RidgeRacer on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
RidgeRacer

Postby RidgeRacer » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:31 am

Some found a 'small error' (I reversed the color of the power and ground wires :shock: ) in the Busarewire.pdf above which I have now fixed.

If you downloaded it prior to 3/27/08 you may want to download it again
RidgeRacer

Postby XXChris » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:42 am

Interesting. What type of interface are tuners going to be able to use to remap these?

I just picked up my 08 Busa, I refuse to use the PC and eliminate the 02 Sensor.. Any ideas on that? Can I help with anything?

Thanks,

Chris
XXChris

Postby Freon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Nice BASIC stamp board. :) My dad has a Boe bot and I've toyed with it a bit. Not a bad solution.
Freon

Postby RidgeRacer » Fri May 02, 2008 2:56 pm

XXChris wrote:Interesting. What type of interface are tuners going to be able to use to remap these?

I just picked up my 08 Busa, I refuse to use the PC and eliminate the 02 Sensor.. Any ideas on that? Can I help with anything?

Thanks,

Chris

Someone supposedly has a line on an '08 busa ECU. If I do get it and hack it I'll let you know.

BTW we've added 05/06 GSXR 1000 and 750s to the list of bikes you can flash
RidgeRacer

Return to Interface Hardware