What hardware do we use for non-OBDII ECUs?

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

What hardware do we use for non-OBDII ECUs?

Postby AP1 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:15 pm

First of all, I have to compliment the broad range of information that this community has provided for one another! In this day and age with a forum created to cover every issue, interest and subject matter available it can be hard to find communities such as yours. We build high performance turbo systems and engines for land speed and drag racing motorcycles. I have a back ground originally in the automotive world so I still have a foot in each you could say. Some aspects of the construction/tuning of bikes are more easy and likewise some are more difficult. On to the issue:

Between the four big manufacturers, Mitsubishi and Denso ECUs are used for the most part. There is no such thing as an OBDII connection for any of these applications. Although not labeled, by process of elimination I can find pins that would be potential data only ports for flashing and re-flashing. Does anyone here have background or experience in what method to use to establish a connection? We have and are familiar with ECUFlash and Enginuity.

I look forward to being a part of your community and thanks for the info in advance.
AP1

Postby radsdau » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:30 pm

Start by looking for the K-Line (serial comms). It should idle high at about 12V (near Vbattery) and should pull down near ground during OBDII comms. But without a scanner to initiate the communication, it is unlikely that the ECU will drive this pin, so it might be hard to find.
radsdau

Postby Jon [in CT] » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:20 pm

The people at http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=99460&p=1 hack into Denso ECUs for motorcycles, which don't have an OBD-II dataport. They might be able to help.
Jon [in CT]

Return to Interface Hardware