Disconnect with logger and flashing problems

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Disconnect with logger and flashing problems

Postby C6ect.ect » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:37 pm

On random occassions my LW logger will disconnect out of nowhere and I get this:

OpenPort 1.3 Virtual Device
    Connection to ECU Lost
Happens with evoscan too, dont use it as much but I think it display's:

"Connection with USB failed" or something like that.

The most troublesome part of this problem, and I feel that it's caused by the same thing - whatever it is - is with ECUFlash, which on total will flash successfully only about 20% of the time. When it works it will successfully flash for a period of time, but when it stops working, and will continue to fail for a good deal of time, I get the popular:

"No Respones to Unknown Code" fault

This started to happen recently about three months ago and I cannot pinpoint what triggered it. Thus far I have ruled out my computer as being the culprit and feel the cable and connections are fine from wiggle testing. I think a possibility may be due to an ECU stored SES fault code. Speaking of which, for some reason may take a day to illuminate the SES light after the fault occurred, is this typical?

Thanks for reading and, hopefully, responding.
C6ect.ect

Postby C6ect.ect » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:04 pm

I reset car battery and it started flashing again.

This leads me to believe the ECU won't flash when there's stored engine faults. Mine at least
C6ect.ect

Postby radsdau » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:13 pm

That's odd; what car?
radsdau

Postby C6ect.ect » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:07 am

2004 usdm evo,

It's like a viscious cycle - my logger will disconnect random without respect to anything I can find.

Been messing with systems that can tweek the idle enough to get a SES light. It takes about a day before the ECU decides to illuminate the SES light but in the meantime, or if there is stored fault memory (w/o SES light), my ECU wont accept flash. Two times in a row the flash problem cured by resetting neg terminal of battery.

I just need to find out why my logger will disconnect for no reason - worry this may be rough on the ECU
C6ect.ect

Postby radsdau » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:55 pm

Very strange. I wonder if the ground or power connections on the OBDII connector are not solid.

The ECU shouldn't care at all if the logger disconnects part-way through. (Flash mode is another matter however).
radsdau

Postby C6ect.ect » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:29 am

Thinking logger disconnect and EcuFlash resistance to ecu stored faults are totally seperate problems.

Logger will disconnect regardless of whether ECU accepts a flash or not.
C6ect.ect

Return to Interface Hardware