interface for subaru impreza 99/00

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

interface for subaru impreza 99/00

Postby Impreza_ClassicShape00 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:33 am

hi guys,

as we all know the 99+ models of the impreza turbo ecus can be mapped with ecutek.
2001+ ecus can be easily read and flashed by a simple obd2 interface but for 99/00 models there are only very few informations.

could anybody tell me how to reflash 99/00 models?

thanks in advance
Impreza_ClassicShape00

Postby DannyBoy-Scoobycity » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:56 am

I'd like to know how to do this too.

I always assumed you could but just been searching for what flashblock connections I need to make and can't find any info anywhere.

I'm reading/datalogging the ECU fine with ECUexplorer but can't get the map off :(
DannyBoy-Scoobycity

Postby Impreza_ClassicShape00 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:21 am

can you please post a link with the obd-cable you use?or can you say me which protocol it has?!

thanks
Impreza_ClassicShape00

Postby richh » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:42 pm

The 99/00MY JECS ECUs use the same SSM protocol for data capture as the newer non-CAN Imprezas.

You can download the entire ROM using this method, if you want to, using the A0 multi-byte read command. Takes a while to download the entire 128K image using the 4.8Kbaud link tho.

As to reflashing them, there's loads been written on this subject, just search the forum for "JECS".
richh

Postby Impreza_ClassicShape00 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:10 am

ok thank you very much for this hints i will take a look on the jecs-related threads and i hope i will find the solution of the problem.

i think when the tuner can flash the ecu then "normal" drivers could do that,too.
Impreza_ClassicShape00

Postby richh » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:00 am

Lol, "normal" drivers having the ability to reflash these ECUs is probably a recipe for disaster! Far easier for the uninformed to do damage than it is to improve the tune! ;) The flash process on the JECS ECUs is also significantly less reliable than the newer Denso-manufactured units due to differences in the memory configuration of the controllers used.

Also, to address your earlier points, the >2001MY cars cannot be flashed by a "simple obd2 interface". The OpenPort, while being a generic ISO9141-2 compatible interface, also has extra components to supply the flashing voltage. A generic OBDII/ISO interface doesn't have this.

You can read/log from a 99/00MY car with a generic OBDII/ISO box. To flash, you need both the electrical components and the software to put the ECU into update mode. It's the latter that's tricky.
richh

Postby Impreza_ClassicShape00 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:55 pm

@richh:
with "normal drivers" i don´t mean normal car user.
i meant people who don´t earn money with tuning as their job ok.

it´s clear that you have to know what you do in detail.

i´ve read the main jecs-thread but at the end there is no solution :?

if i understood this right there is also a difference between the cables for the 2001+ models right?some cables allow just logging and reading,others allow also flashing.both have the iso 9141-2 compatible interface.
flashing cables must have an extra "power supply cable" which has to be "jumpered" while flashing.
sorry i don´t know the exact words ;)

but my "problem" is that i know that ecutek can do this,and thats only a interface and a program,too.

probably the development was so difficult that this is the reason because ist´s that expensive...

but every pre 2001 driver has to know how they do it because he must have seen it while they tuned his car...

there must be a solution,

hopefully
Impreza_ClassicShape00

Postby richh » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:10 pm

Impreza_ClassicShape00 wrote:@richh:
with "normal drivers" i don´t mean normal car user.
i meant people who don´t earn money with tuning as their job ok.

Same point applies. The ability to wholesale remap the ECU has far more opportunity to screw things up than, for example, a manual boost controller. Aside from anything else it isn't difficult to turn a JECS unit into a doorstop - this happens occasionally even using Flash99.

it´s clear that you have to know what you do in detail.

Indeed you do.

i´ve read the main jecs-thread but at the end there is no solution :?

There isn't an open source solution, no.

if i understood this right there is also a difference between the cables for the 2001+ models right?some cables allow just logging and reading,others allow also flashing.both have the iso 9141-2 compatible interface.

Yeah, that's what I said above. All such interfaces are ISO9141-2 hardware at heart. To flash, you also need to supply the flash voltage. My understanding is that the same applies to the 99-00 cars.

but my "problem" is that i know that ecutek can do this,and thats only a interface and a program,too.

The inference there is that the Ec*t*k interface is also configured to supply the flash voltage. And yes, the program code is also vital, you need that to get the ECU to put itself into reprogram mode.

but every pre 2001 driver has to know how they do it because he must have seen it while they tuned his car...

Lol, what do you think happens when you get your car T*k'd? It's not like you actually see the code being pumped into the ECU. All the driver sees is the technician connecting the interface to the diagnostic port, fiddling with some maps with his laptop, and clicking the mouse a few times.

The clever bit is all done at an electrical level, and even if it wasn't, 99% of the drivers who have this process performed on their cars don't have the first idea what is actually happening, nor do they want to.

The only way to find out with any certainty how it's done by the established method would be to hook a datalogger to the back of the diagnostic port and get your car Ec*T*k*d. You'd then see from the logs how it was done. Trouble with that approach is that, aside from being a dirty cheat, it'd no doubt prompt a response from Ec*t*k.

At end of day they found out how to do it. It shouldn't be impossible for others to discover it for themselves.

there must be a solution

There is a solution. If you want it now, it is called Ec*t*k. If you don't mind waiting, someone else might come up with an open source alternative.
richh

Postby Impreza_ClassicShape00 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:54 am

ok then i will wait :)

sorry if i don´t understand everything right because english is not my native language.often i have tu put 1+1 together and thats why i sometimes don´t get every detail :?

it´s clear that you can´t see the bytes inside the cable while t**ing, i meant that probably one ore more cable are cut or put together or anything like this.
but the test connectors seem to be the only thing which will be connected during the reading procedure...
Impreza_ClassicShape00

Return to Interface Hardware