Is my Cable broken?

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Is my Cable broken?

Postby criscross79 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:03 am

well, I have my tactrix cable now for about 3 months and I haven't had any problems, but the other night I reflashed a friends car, and then immediatly I tried to reflash my car and wasn't able too. I used ecuflash and it wasn't able to connect to the ecu.
I have tried reinstalling ecuflash 1.3, 1.29a, and 1.28. I also uninstalled all of the drivers and then reinstalled them manually each time I reinstalled ecuflash. I have checked to make sure the flash block is installed and the green connectors are connected. I also checked the cable itself for any visible problems and didn't see anything.

I did try to log and that works fine. last time I reflashed my car was about 6 weeks ago, but I have reflashed 2 other cars within that time frame without any other problems.

Anybody have an idea of whats going on? Do I need another cable?

Thanks for any input

Chris
Last edited by criscross79 on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
criscross79

Postby criscross79 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:03 pm

just a quick update:

I still haven't figured out why I can't flash to my car, but last night I tried it on an '06 (mine is an '02) and it worked fine. I immediately tried it again on my car with no luck. I double checked all the connectors again and everything still looks fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Chris
criscross79

troubleshooting

Postby Hobbes » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:31 am

You did not specify if ecuflash is not communicating period or if it is failing to establish the flash sequence. So I'll just start from the begining.

If you can flash other cars then your cable should be ok. Try using ecuexplorer to verify that your WRX's obdII is transmitting data. If you can see ecu information then you know that the ecu is transmitting through the obdII connector and it is not a hardware problem. Remember that you have to set the model flag for 02-03. This is in the option menu.

If you do not see data then you know it is in the obdII connector and you have to isolate the problem within the obdII connector.

If the data is there then it has to be in the handshaking between ecuflash and the ecu. You could have the rare bin A4SGE00C. This was the last update by Subaru for the 02-03 ecu and I don't think xml are installed but it is hard to advise you at this point not knowing the results of the previous steps.

Hobbes
Hobbes

Re: troubleshooting

Postby criscross79 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:27 am

Hobbes wrote:You did not specify if ecuflash is not communicating period or if it is failing to establish the flash sequence. So I'll just start from the begining.

If you can flash other cars then your cable should be ok. Try using ecuexplorer to verify that your WRX's obdII is transmitting data. If you can see ecu information then you know that the ecu is transmitting through the obdII connector and it is not a hardware problem. Remember that you have to set the model flag for 02-03. This is in the option menu.

If you do not see data then you know it is in the obdII connector and you have to isolate the problem within the obdII connector.

If the data is there then it has to be in the handshaking between ecuflash and the ecu. You could have the rare bin A4SGE00C. This was the last update by Subaru for the 02-03 ecu and I don't think xml are installed but it is hard to advise you at this point not knowing the results of the previous steps.

Hobbes

here are some screen shots from both ecuflash, and ecuexplorer

what do you think?

Error after I tried to read the ecu in ecuexplorer

Error after I tried to read the ecu in ecuflash

any ideas?

Chris
criscross79

Return to Interface Hardware