WTH!? My Week old Tactrix cable broke....

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

WTH!? My Week old Tactrix cable broke....

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:30 pm

Has this happen to anyone before?

I recently purchased a tactrix cable about a week ago, and everything was working fine. I reflashed my ecu several times without running into any problems. Until about last night when I got got done with some logging, I turned off the car off, and was about to pull the connector out of the diagnostic port when it broke off into two.

For the lack of a better term the "prongs" were stuck in my diagnostic port. Freaked out I went under and tried to plug the other end back into the "prongs" and see if I could somehow wiggle it out of there. Well as soon as I touched it, it started to smoke. Freaked out some more I quickly pulled it out, popped my hood, and disconnected my battery. I took a flat head screw driver and gently wiggled the "prongs" out of the port.

Once I got it out I looked at it, and it smelt burnt, but I didn't see any damaged done to it, so I hoped it was fine, but it wasn't. I connected the "prongs" to the rest of the cable, and super glued it back together. After that I tested the cable to see if it still works, but it doesn't.

So am I shit out of luck, and have to dish out 80 bucks to get a new cable? Even though it wasn't my fault. I emailed tactrix and explained my situation to them, but they haven't responded back. Of course I emailed them last night, and I can understand that they could be swamped with emails.

I was truly bummed out that my cable broke. :(

Here is a picture of that part that came off. (just came off it didn't break off)

Postby dynowog » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:28 am

i'm a noob here but i'd suggest the fact you got on here to winge before giving them a chance to get back to you wont help your case

i know it can be frustrating but paitience is a virtue and all good things come with time

remember the tactrix cable is the only form of donation these guys get for all their work & development and for this site so give them a chance as it must obviously be their hobby and a hobby should not be a drag but fun

so relax and i'm sure they will do the right thing by you!

have you tried to get the address and send the cable back for them to look at it?

sorry if you think i am talking out of place as i dont mean to offend its just that its all to often on forums that people shoot first the when all is sorted they don't even have the decency to apologise

hope this is not the case here!!!!

ps nice first post and welcome
dynowog

Hmmm

Postby Gizzmo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:48 pm

I'd have to agree, as with everything, there is no 100% perfection and the first port of call would have to be to contact the manufacturer who in this case is a reputable one. Definately can appreachiate the frustration after recieving such a great new toy, but this sort of thing does happen :(
Gizzmo

Postby cboles » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:48 am

I have a support person that didn't aswer your email yesterday for some reason. We will be sending him a new cable. The cables are fully warranted - if you ever have a problem - emails us and we will take care of it.

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Postby dynowog » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:53 pm

cboles wrote:I have a support person that didn't aswer your email yesterday for some reason. We will be sending him a new cable. The cables are fully warranted - if you ever have a problem - emails us and we will take care of it.

Colby

weldone colby i expected no less i got my cablewithin 5 days and i'm half a world away (thumbs up smilie)

the point was he should have tried to contact you first the given you time before sprouting at the mouth!!!
dynowog

Return to Interface Hardware