Cannot hold communication with the ecu

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Cannot hold communication with the ecu

Postby renhoek » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:12 pm

Hi guys. Not sure what's the go here but I am having major difficulties getting communication with the ecu. Only once have I managed to get a steady comm with the ecu and download the data. Every other time I have tried, it has been unsuccessful.

If I withdraw the USB cable and re-insert, I get the bottom left corner of screen showing OpenPort 1.3 Subaru etc, but then it disappears after 1 sec. It seems that maybe the USB to serial port thing is not set up properly (but I am guessing here).

Green connectors are linked and the white plug is in.

Car is an Aussie 02 wrx manual.

Any suggestions to how I should get this thing to talk?
renhoek

Sorted it - Kind of......

Postby renhoek » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:54 am

After my first post, I looked around at other poster's remarks & decided that I should fiddle around with the initiating sequence to see if I could come up with a way for my laptop to talk to this goddamn ecu :lol:

"Going by the book" as per Scoobypedia gave me no joy at all. The following process ended up working 2/10 times for me and I post it here for 2 reasons. 1. Just in case someone else is also having similar issues and 2. To provide the Openecu experts with hopefully useful information related to Australian ecu's on bugeye WRX's.

Here are my steps:
1. Connect the green connectors together.
2. Install the flash connector (white connector)
3. Connect the OBD2 cobbection to the under dash plug
4. Fire up ecuFlash
5. Plug in the USB port - at this point the bottom left hand of the screen would show "OpenPort 1.3 Subaru....." but after 1 sec would disappear & show nothing. This is where I believe my problem is.
6. Go to the Read ecu icon & select the car BUT DO NOT PRESS READ YET
7. Ignition to ON but not Start.
8. Pull out USB cable & re-insert. A second or so after you re-insert, you will see "OpenPort 1.3 Subaru....." come up on the bottom right hand corner again. When it does, quickly press READ on the car selection dialogue box. This action seems to lock the connection and will bring up the dialogue box that says press OK to download the maps. I just press OK as the IGN is already on.

In the meantime, maybe someone out there can see the obvious issue & advise.

Thx all.
renhoek

Postby cboles » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:50 pm

I'm wondering if you have a faulty cable. If you look at the cable in device manger, do it dissapear from there after a few seconds too?

Colby
cboles
Site Admin

Device manager

Postby renhoek » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:30 pm

Device manager sees the port connected to OpenPort 1.3 Subaru.... and it stays that way, even though the bottom RHS of the ecuflash screen shows OpenPort to disappear.

End result is that I cannot interrogate the ecu. The bottom rhs just shows a narrow rectangular box. Remove the USB port, the box widens out & says "No vehicle interface". Put the USB back in & 1 sec later, the box collapses with nothing in it.

My solution of green connectors in, IGN on, Selecting the vehicle from the drop down list and ONLY pressing READ on the drop down list once I remove & reinstall the USB connector, seems to have the effect of locking the OpenPort into place.

It's not elegant, but it works, and if others are seeing similar things, it may work for them too. Once over this hurdle, the whole world of reading ECU's, reflashing and logging opens up and this work that people on this forum have put in is bloody fantastic for us tinkerers. :D
renhoek

Reinstall driver for Cable?

Postby renhoek » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:33 pm

Just a thought Colby. Should I try reinstalling the Tactrix cable driver? Do you think that could fix it? Is there a better driver to use? Any suggestions?
renhoek

Postby renhoek » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:45 pm

Well, I uninstalled the driver via the uninstall utility & then re-ran the zip file (just in case) and then re-installed the driver, all with no result. The device driver screen shows the cable is connected but when I select my car from the drop down list, nothing shows on the bottom right hand corner of the screen, and I therefore don't get the chance to do the IGN ON & press OK bit because the screen that has the OK on it does not show.

:roll:

I'll sort this eventually I'm sure.
renhoek

Postby Kosti » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:33 pm

Not sure, but have you entered the pin for the immobliser?

I wasn't doing that with mine and it took me a whole 10 min to figure it out. I hope the issue is that simple for you too mate!

Good Luck
Kosti
Kosti

Return to Interface Hardware