Problem connecting in OBDII mode

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Problem connecting in OBDII mode

Postby soobdo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:43 pm

Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I just recieved a tactrix cable for my 04 Subaru XT. (DBW)
The cable reports itself as an 'OpenPort 1.3 Subaru'. There are entries in both the USB devices and in the Ports section(virtual COM device) of my Device Manager. (Windows XP) The device driver shows a version of 2.0.0.0

Using ECUExplorer, I can connect via SSM and pull data from the ECU.
BTW, the ECU reports itself as "MY04 Forester 2.5 XT (AUS)[AH710-5401]"

So far, so good.

If I try other 'generic' OBDII software, I cannot get it to connect in anything but SSM mode. i.e. every generic OBDII bit of software fails to connect to the ECU in either of the ISO modes.

A log from a program called OPCtrlTest.exe (part of the LogWorks2 sofware package) shows an FT_Read timout. (log at the end of the message)

Other pieces of OBDII software show similar timeouts.

Now, the questions are, is my ECU OBDII compliant? (it is an Australian model) Or, does this mean that something is not quite right with the tactrix 1.3 Subaru cable or drivers. (I believe these are fairly new versions.)

This is not a desperate situation. I can still get the data I need via SSM (which I believe give me much more data, faster.) I'm just wondering if this is by design, or indicates a possible issue that can be addressed.

Thanks for any help,

Rob.

***** OpenPort 1.3 Control Tester *****
FindCable...
Checking 1 device(s) for 'OpenPort 1.x...' description
dev: 0 - OpenPort 1.3 Subaru
Returning: OpenPort 1.3 Subaru (serial# TX45UTEs)
Connect...
Attempting OBD-II ISO-9141 connection.
Configuring serial settings...
Success.
Sending 0x33 at 5 baud (K & L)
Listen for 0x55 from ECU...
Rcvd: 0x00
FT_Read timeout.
Attempting OBD-II KWP2000 connection.
Configuring serial settings...
Success.
Generating 25ms K line pulse.
Sending start communication command.
c1 33 f1 81 66
Reading echo...
FT_Read timeout.
soobdo

Postby Jon [in CT] » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:46 am

Jon [in CT]

Postby Fitz » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:36 am

Most likely it is a case of picky timing. It is a bit of a chore to get perfectly complient OBD-II timing out of the cable. I would have expected your Subaru to connect KWP2000 (the second connection attempt in the trace).

But the test does not toggle the L line (see the trace) and there is both a 25mS down time spec and a 25mS up time spec (+/- 1mS) that I am probably violating.

By all means, try the ScanTech tool on MJ's site. If you can get it to connect, I'd be interested in seeing the connection log (there is a log folder created).

I'm trying to stay focused on MTS support for Enginuity right now, but right after than I had planned on putting some energy into cleaning up my own little trouble code reader into the open source control.

-jjf
Fitz

Postby LGT-3-6 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:23 pm

Anyone fix this problem yet? I have the same problem...
LGT-3-6

Return to Interface Hardware