Connecting to ECU

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Connecting to ECU

Postby s2p2 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:13 am

Hi All

This has probably been spoken about but my search came up with nothing.

When we use either ECUFlash or ECUExplorer, is it a must to connect the green connectors? From Scoobypedia, it does not seem to say that ECUExplorer needs to have the green cable connected.

Thanks
s2p2

Postby crispyduck » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:52 am

Depends on what you you want to do. Generically speaking, you need connect nothing for ECU logging and ECU Resetting. To Read or Write your ROM (maps) you connect the Diagnostic (green) connectors and Flash Block connector (depending on car type).

You need to tell us what market/model/year car your have.

As a general rule you should not be driving around with any of the above connectors connected.

What Wiki page(s) do you think could do with improving as I'll update them?

-Steve.
crispyduck

Postby crispyduck » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:43 am

I've quickly updated the following three Wiki pages. Let us know once you have everything up and running of any recommend improvements (I also encourage you to edit these pages yourself using the link on every page).

Connecting:
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/ ... gToYourECU

Data Logging:
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/ ... ataLogging

Things to data log:
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/ ... Parameters

Hope this helps.
-Steve.
P.S: I'll need to have a short article on other logging software created since this article was first created. I think we have Enginuity (opensource) and EcuEdit(shareware) now.
crispyduck

ECUFlash...Not connecting

Postby s2p2 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi

I have managed to figure out the steps of getting it connected to ECUExplorer.

1) Engine Off
2) Connect the green connectors
3) Connect the cables to PC and to ECU
4) Run the application
5) Switch On the car (BUT NOT RUNNING ENGINE, Make sure the CEL is flashing and fan is running and then I can see the data)

This seems to do the trick however, I am still not able to get ECUFlash to work though ECUExplorer does.

I am driving a MY05 Forester 2.0XT non USDM model. Actually I am from singapore and I think my model is european.

If anyone can help, it will be great.

Thanks
s2p2

Re: ECUFlash...Not connecting

Postby crispyduck » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:12 am

s2p2 wrote:... I am still not able to get ECUFlash to work ... I am driving a MY05 Forester 2.0XT non USDM model. Actually I am from singapore and I think my model is european.

Yep, expect that this will a Euro version. On MY03 cars you have to connect the Flash Block connector. Do you have one of these?
-Steve.
crispyduck

Postby s2p2 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:40 pm

well, mine is a MY05 which is a DBW, do I still need the connector? Based on my understanding, I do not need it and so I have never tried connecting it
s2p2

Return to Interface Hardware