The COM port COM4 used for SSM diagnostics is no longer avai

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

The COM port COM4 used for SSM diagnostics is no longer avai

Postby S54fan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:00 am

I can use the 1.3M or universal cable on my Windows 2000 old laptop for ECUflash on Mitsi and Subaru.

However, I wanted to datalog my friend's STI and so I installed ECU explorer, ECUedit demo and Enginuity. None of them can datalog from the car. ECU explorer seems to be telling me why - COM4 used for SSM diagnostics is no longer available. Please check that it is the correct port. However, Open port 1.3 Universal is listed by this port. I have no hardware conflicts and I have tried making it different ports, restarting ECU explorer and the laptop etc.

I tried a borrowed newer laptop, but it is a shame to buy a newer laptop unless I really have to. Reinstalling Windows 2000 might help, but it is time consuming if I'm missing a simple solution, and still might not work.

Suggestions?
S54fan

Postby NSFW » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:35 pm

Probably there's a driver that has opened COM4 and isn't letting go. It might just be an application that's open - close everything and try again. If that doesn't work, try rebooting.

If that doesn't work, try going into device manager and see what device "owns" COM4. If it's not the OpenPort stuff, uninstall it and try again. Then reinstall it while you have COM4 in use for OpenPort, and see if it claims a different port and leaves OpenPort and COM4 alone.

If that doesn't work, try to figure out what other device drivers might be using COM4? Possibly even the OpenPort drivers. Uninstalling and reinstalling said drivers should get you back your port.
NSFW

Postby zigzagzok » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:44 am

NSFW wrote:Probably there's a driver that has opened COM4 and isn't letting go. It might just be an application that's open - close everything and try again. If that doesn't work, try rebooting.

If that doesn't work, try going into device manager and see what device "owns" COM4. If it's not the OpenPort stuff, uninstall it and try again. Then reinstall it while you have COM4 in use for OpenPort, and see if it claims a different port and leaves OpenPort and COM4 alone.

If that doesn't work, try to figure out what other device drivers might be using COM4? Possibly even the OpenPort drivers. Uninstalling and reinstalling said drivers should get you back your port.

usually com4 is being used by the infra red port or serial port dependent on the hardware of the laptop/pc
zigzagzok

Postby S54fan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:25 am

Tried all of the above, so just bought a new laptop. I left it too long, the new one is astonishing :)
S54fan

Postby NSFW » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:49 pm

Not the cheapest way to solve the problem, but surely the most fun. :D
NSFW

Postby S54fan » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:45 am

I have an aversion to spending money, but sometimes it can be a false economy when I end up spending hours trying to get an old laptop working. It was overwhelmed just loading up Enginuity because of the Java stuff. It was only a Pentium II 300 MHz with 96 MB and 4 GB drive poor lamb ;)
S54fan

Return to Interface Hardware