ECU on bench

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Postby MalibuJack » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:42 am

anyone have this info (which pins are which) for the Mitsubishi ECU's? (Evo8, or other 4 connector ECU's) and Evo9?
MalibuJack

Postby sylvester » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:24 am

Any with this information ? Any cable out there ? ( OBD to ECU connector )
sylvester

Postby BarryC. » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:12 am

hope this helps
Attachments
evo pinouts ecu.xls
(94 KiB) Downloaded 865 times
BarryC.

Postby bluedog » Tue May 15, 2007 10:11 pm

If we are connecting on a bench, can anyone tell me what are the main things we need to hook up? Should ignition be 12V or ground?

I couldn't get my 98 jdm sti ecu to work with logging so I bought an old one (97 turbo forester) to test. Now I have it on my bench with no idea how to hook it up. I just want it powered up and talking to my select monitor.

There are many posts here referring to pins, but my pinouts are different. I have the following:

ECU power, Ignition, Power earth, SSM send, SSM receive, and various earths for different sensors

I thought ignition should be on 12v, but the posts here seems to show that it should be grounded.
bluedog

Postby MalibuJack » Wed May 16, 2007 2:00 am

I've had a bench harness working for some time, but its for Mitsubishi ECU's...

In general, you need power, ground, "Key On" ignition, and then your data connections to get it to power up. I also wired the CEL light for the hell of it.

I have this documented on www.aktivematrix.com

Obviously its different for a Subaru ECU but at the minimum you need all the power and grounds connected for the ECU to even boot. I use the CEL indicator to know it has booted as a disembodied ECU will almost always throw a CEL for something when the "ignition" is turned on.
MalibuJack

Postby bluedog » Wed May 16, 2007 6:19 am

Thanks very much. That was what I was hoping, but I didn't want just try it and blow the ecu.

If I can indulge your patience any more...

I couldn't find your article on that site. I found several discussions where you mentioned that you wanted to make it, but none where it was shown. Anyway, your reply to my thread tells me most of what I need to know.

I had to translate the pinouts from japanese. Took me some time... :cry: but I think I've got it. There are many separate grounds (Maf, crank angle sensor, etc) that are not common. But there seems to be no ground for the signalling protocol. Is it relative to power ground?

The CEL light... is it 1 volt when light should be active and 12 volts when the light should be off? This seems opposite of what I would expect but this info comes from the "wiring diagram" that was posted earlier in this thread.

I know the mitsubishi may be a bit different though...

Thanks again.
bluedog

Postby MalibuJack » Wed May 16, 2007 6:53 am

On the Evo, it basically acts as a switch to ground, so you provide 12v to the indicator light, then instead of the ground, you run it to the ECU's CEL indicator pin, which basically closes to ground.

On the Evo, the Ignition switch is a 12v+ source which tells it the key is on, and the pin on the ECU expects to see 12v+ on its Key-On pin to indicate the ECU should wake up.

On the Evo, there are 3 pins used for power, two are main power, one is battery backup. They all should get power.

Basically in order to simulate the function of the car's running state, I switched the ignition keyon voltage source, the voltage source to the main ECU power, and a voltage source to the backup power. This in turn allows me to simulate battery disconnect, accessory power only, and engine running state. (its necessary to test the persistence of some settings in ram that we're developing on aktivematrix)

In the two threads dedicated to my bench harness, both have photos of the unit I built, and one had details on all the pinouts for the Evo, however I have not attempted to build a Subaru bench harness as I don't currently have the need for it. I have a more pressing need for a evo IX bench harness as it uses a newer ECU design which has different connections, but I haven't wanted to cut up a perfectly good $150 ECU Extension harness for it, so I'm waiting for Summimoto or AMP to make some stock available.
MalibuJack

Postby bluedog » Wed May 16, 2007 7:01 am

Excellent. Thanks very much. I also didn't want to spend 8000 yen (US$70) for a harness to cut up. To solve this, I pulled the (male) pins out of a stereo adapter harness, and cut the ends off the pins. The way they are formed, if you cut off the male ends, you are left with a rolled piece of metal that forms a tube. I then shaped each one with pliers to fit over the different sized pins in my ecu and insulated them with heat shrink. It's a press fit, but it's tight enough to hold for testing.

I made about ten of these wires, and now have the wiring setup for the ecu. Now need to tap 12V from my computer for a supply, but it's coming along. Thanks again, your info was good.
bluedog

Postby MalibuJack » Wed May 16, 2007 7:08 am

I used a radio shack 13.5v bench power supply, some ECU's are very sensitive to voltage and fluctuations, and I would recommend using the proper stable voltage (12v is the minimum, but a running car operates at 13-14v and generally a fully charged battery can range from 12.5 to 13.5v)

A perfect example is the Evo IX ECU, if you have a slightly run down battery, the ECU won't go into flash mode, the same happens if your USB to Serial adapter doesn't have adequate power, as the cable adds the two voltages together which needs to be high enough to stimulate the Mitsubishi ECU's flash mode.

I know the Subaru ECU is likely different as the flash modes are triggered by closing jumpers or shorting two pins together.
MalibuJack

Postby rdtech » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:31 pm

So I have the tactrix cable but I'm confused which pin is what. Is there any diagram on that?

K line
L line

etc.

I was going to hook it up on the bench for testing. (2002 wrx ecu)

my tactric cable has 7 pins
Pin 1,2,6,8,10,12,13

The WRX wiring diagram shows pin 1 from left to right.
So when I'm looking at the cable pins, its should start with 1 from right to left.(so that it corresponds with what the wrx manual)
rdtech

Postby rdtech » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:40 pm

I think I figured it out. I'm looking at the taxtric cable upsidedown.
rdtech

Postby radsdau » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:06 pm

If you're using Subaru wiring diagrams, they're likely to confuse you. Their OBDII connector pin numbering is different from Mitsubishi (and the rest of the world as far as I know). I believe if you rotate the Subaru connector diagram 180degrees the numbering becomes 'normal'.
radsdau

Postby rdtech » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:04 pm

yea your right. They number scheme is upside down. LOL

I have these obd2 connectors that might help any of you guys that are doing bench testing.

$10 shipped.

sales@rdtech-online.com

They are from various obd2 cars so they may need to be repin for subaru applications. They may also be missing wires in certain pin outs. Thats why i'll include two of them if the wires are not complete on one. That way you can take them out and rearrange the pins.

This should help those that are doing bencht testing.

My bench testing is almost complete.

thanks
Attachments
CIMG4757.JPG
CIMG4757.JPG (65.18 KiB) Viewed 15944 times
CIMG4756.JPG
CIMG4756.JPG (66.1 KiB) Viewed 15903 times
CIMG4755.JPG
CIMG4755.JPG (66.24 KiB) Viewed 15902 times
rdtech

Postby rdtech » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:31 pm

i was looking at the connection and I think they are different. (USDM)

The lines for the tactrix cables seems to be the same but the power and ground for the ecu are in different locations.

Please comfirm this with me someone.

thanks
rdtech

Re: ECU on bench

Postby FoxHound » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:56 am

sorry i know it's an old post but i need some help here...

hey guys my flash connector isn't working for some reason. i would like to know where on the ECM do these 4 wires go to?

the green test connector works fine i just need to find where the flash connector wires are on the ecu so i could get them working properly again. it's for the SDM 02/03 WRX GDA model. thanks in advance!
FoxHound

PreviousNext

Return to Interface Hardware