Tactrix WRX not compatible w/MY06 WRX?

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

Tactrix WRX not compatible w/MY06 WRX?

Postby ahains » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:44 am

I see on the tactrix site that the WXR cable is listed as compatible with 2002-2005 WRX.
Is this because changes in 2006 render it incompatible, or just because the MY06 was not out when the description was written?

A friend at work just got a MY06 WRX so I was wondering if I could dump his ECU image with it.

Thanks,
Adrian
ahains

Postby cboles » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:29 pm

I have yet to try it with the MY06. I had heard that 2006 would be the year that Subaru started using CAN, but others have told me this is not so. Looking at which pins are populated on the OBD connector would indicate what capabilities the car *could* support. CAN is on pins 6 and 14. Here is a good pinout diagram:

http://www.autotap.com/connector.html

I don't see any of the commercial reflashing vendors mentioning MY06 support yet, which could mean a number of things of increasing difficulty:

* they haven't had time to fully test their MY06 solution.
* they haven't had time to figure out the map locations and nuances of the MY06 code.
* MY06 uses another interface (CAN) or SSM protocol for reflashing which needs to be reverse engineered.

If someone in the Seattle area has a MY06, I'd love to meet with them and check it out to see what is possible.
cboles
Site Admin

Return to Interface Hardware