logging software freezing? sudden loss of usb device?

User topics relating to hardware that interfaces PCs to ECUs

Moderator: Freon

logging software freezing? sudden loss of usb device?

Postby bmorrisj » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:49 pm

check the metal sheathing where the cord goes into the plastic housing....

on mine the shrink wrap on the usb wires slid up so everytime the sheathing came in contact with something i would lose the device....(wiggling cord while driving, movement from clutch foot)

no wonder ecuExplorer would just stop, reading the debug console everything is good then all of a sudden it would stop reading...retrying over and over again....

i am so glad this never kicked off while reflashing.... that would've sucked....

this is a 1.2 plug by the way...

oh i just wrapped some electrical tape around it, now i can wiggle it every which way and all is fine....
bmorrisj

Postby cboles » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:42 am

looks like i better start looking for better strain relief. if you never pull the cable by the cord, it should last a long while...
cboles
Site Admin

Postby bmorrisj » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:12 pm

cboles wrote:looks like i better start looking for better strain relief. if you never pull the cable by the cord, it should last a long while...

also note i am not knocking this cable... i love it.... you did, after all, keep me from having to spend $645... and i thank you for that :D
bmorrisj

Postby Cabal » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:27 pm

I've noticed on my 1.3 cable that the connector is a tighter fit than other OBD2 devices I have; that probably doesn't help the stress factor the first time someone goes to pull it out. Of course, since having a secure connection is of the utmost importance when flashing, I see that as a necessary evil and wouldn't want it any other way.
Cabal

Postby cboles » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:59 am

That is somewhat intentional, as you say. I had people complaining about poor connections, so we use slightly longer pins now.
cboles
Site Admin

Return to Interface Hardware